Sponsored

Installed a hitch... What gear should I be towing in?

Jkabara

Base
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just installed a hitch on my 2021 bronco. What gear should I be towing in?? I know in my f150 you should not tow in overdrive thanks
Sponsored

Taltyman

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon, Ford F350, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Don't have my bronco yet but for me the answer is "it depends" . If it is a light trailer with a light load and on level ground then I leave overdrive on. If it is a heavier load then I decide based again on the situation. If I'm going up and down hills, etc then overdrive goes off. If unsure then overdrive off is safest.

OP
OP

Jkabara

Base
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s a 10 speed transmission how do you turn off overdrive

Riverat

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Really depends on how fast you are towing.

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It’s a 10 speed transmission how do you turn off overdrive
IIRC - The top three - 8th, 9th and 10th are all overdrive.
If you stay within stated capacities, tow in D.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm not the expert, but if it were me I would look into two options...

1) assuming you have an automatic, I've always let my transmissions just do their thing... Unless I notice it constantly downshifting. So if it won't stay in OD, then I would manually put it in the lower gear and force it to stay there. Constant shifting builds up too much heat.

2) Broncos that come with towing have a towing mode. I don't know what that does, but maybe that something that can be enabled through Forscan.

OP
OP

Jkabara

Base
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounds like nobody knows 😂

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
didn't read the whole thread, but I usually tow in whatever gear I'm wearing - shoes, jeans, t shirt, maybe a jacket if it's cold. ;)

bronco_billy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm not the expert, but if it were me I would look into two options...

1) assuming you have an automatic, I've always let my transmissions just do their thing... Unless I notice it constantly downshifting. So if it won't stay in OD, then I would manually put it in the lower gear and force it to stay there. Constant shifting builds up too much heat.

2) Broncos that come with towing have a towing mode. I don't know what that does, but maybe that something that can be enabled through Forscan.
I just installed a hitch on my 2021 bronco. What gear should I be towing in?? I know in my f150 you should not tow in overdrive thanks
The Setup: 4 door BB, 4.27 gears, 2.7. Stock tires and rims and factory tow package. Towing a trailer that weighs approximately 3,400lbs. 93 octane. Normal Goat Mode.

The Strategy: driving around town, stop and go traffic put it in drive and let the Bronco figure it out. On the interstate put it in manual mode. Set the cruise at 67 mph. (70 mph zone) when the boost gets over single digits, manual downshift. Adjust up or down depending on the terrain.

I was traveling on flat and hilly terrain as well as some mountainous spots. I have used this strategy on a couple of trips. Just got back and averaged 14.8 mpg. The lowest gear I ran was 7th a few times. Spent most of my time between 8 and 9. Ran 10 mostly on down hill runs.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Sponsored

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

From a stop, use first. As you accelerate, shift to second, third, etc. as dictated by your speed. When decelerating, downshift to aid in braking. Once stopped, use first again.

/S

I don't understand the question. Which gear you use is dictated entirely by speed and situation. It isn't like you'd just use one gear like you seem to be asking ("I only tow in third gear" would be stupid).

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

With the AT On flattish country I'd say normal. But in the hills or near capacity like the op I'd say sport, it holds the gears longer and downshifts quicker going up or down hill..

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
4th is drive. Both 5 and 6 are overdrive.

Um... unless you bought an automatic for some reason, in which case 8, 9 and 10 are all overdrive gears. I'd lock out at lease 9 and 10.
Sponsored