First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, 4 Door, MIC, EG
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To start off, I'm not an electrician: I know enough to be dangerous. To that end, I'm looking to I stall a pair of ditch lights, each one has a 48 watt draw (according to it's website). Based on that and the 12v from the battery, it would be pulling 8 Amps. Based on the attached picture from a March 2021 post, that leads me to believe that the only switch capable of handling this is Aux 1-3 (unless I were to pull some solenoid/relay shenanigans).

Is this true, or am I missing something?
Ford Bronco Which Aux switch to use for ditch lights 1000009402
Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are correct. It’s best to give yourself a little headspace when dealing with electrical components, if you don’t plan on adding too many more accessories I would use the 15amp AUX 2, but you’re safe using the 10amp AUX 3 if you want to.
As noted in the diagram, the difference in wire size is the main restriction along with the fuse.

Lights pull a constant draw, as opposed to stereo equipment or a winch. A lot of times people only use the switches to activate a relay ON/OFF so the draw is temporary, in your case electricity will be constant which I why I recommended using the 15amp switch.

OP
OP
Tharberats

Tharberats

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of a 50% or better safety margin, especially when it comes to things that can make my life real bad if it fails.

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

To start off, I'm not an electrician: I know enough to be dangerous. To that end, I'm looking to I stall a pair of ditch lights, each one has a 48 watt draw (according to it's website). Based on that and the 12v from the battery, it would be pulling 8 Amps. Based on the attached picture from a March 2021 post, that leads me to believe that the only switch capable of handling this is Aux 1-3 (unless I were to pull some solenoid/relay shenanigans).

Is this true, or am I missing something?
Ford Bronco Which Aux switch to use for ditch lights 1000009402
That’s an old chart - Aux 4 through 6 have been upgraded to 10amps each so you can use any Aux connection for an 8amp load and it will be fine!

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of a 50% or better safety margin, especially when it comes to things that can make my life real bad if it fails.
That's a solid mentality to have when the alternative is a fire. If I we're doing this install I would use the 15 amp switch to play it safe.

Just for reference, I fixed electronic communications components for 6 years in the military.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tharberats

Tharberats

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s an old chart - Aux 4 through 6 have been upgraded to 10amps each so you can use any Aux connection for an 8amp load and it will be fine!
While I want to believe you, do you know where I could find that new chart? Obviously it is an older chart posted back in 2021, but this is also the first I've heard of upgraded wiring. (I also haven't really been looking that hard)

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

While I want to believe you, do you know where I could find that new chart? Obviously it is an older chart posted back in 2021, but this is also the first I've heard of upgraded wiring. (I also haven't really been looking that hard)
Have you read your owners manual?

Attached in the Bronco installation guide which also illustrates the correct figures.

Attachments

OP
OP
Tharberats

Tharberats

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's a solid mentality to have when the alternative is a fire. If I we're doing this install I would use the 15 amp switch to play it safe.

Just for reference, I fixed electronic communications components for 6 years in the military.
Ugh, a commo guy? At least you fixed them, not dealt with the crypto. Those people can be the worst. Me? I just break them/report them broken and then walk away! 🤣

OP
OP
Tharberats

Tharberats

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ugh, a commo guy? At least you fixed them, not dealt with the crypto. Those people can be the worst. Me? I just break them/report them broken and then walk away! 🤣
I was an RO with the Infantry during my first enlistment (OIF 1 & OEF) and quickly said fuck that shit...

Re-upped to become a tech and keep my ass in the rear with the gear.

Sponsored

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Is there any particular reason you don’t want to use a relay?

OP
OP
Tharberats

Tharberats

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you read your owners manual?

Attached in the Bronco installation guide which also illustrates the correct figures.
For future reference for anyone also looking, this is the current chart for a 2023 Badlands Sasquatch.

Bschurr, thanks for the heads-up!
Ford Bronco Which Aux switch to use for ditch lights 1000009403

OP
OP
Tharberats

Tharberats

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there any particular reason you don’t want to use a relay?
Only that I haven't ordered one yet? I did a large capacity heavy duty marine solenoid for my winch, and that went pretty easy.

OP
OP
Tharberats

Tharberats

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was an RO with the Infantry during my first enlistment (OIF 1 & OEF) and quickly said fuck that shit...

Re-upped to become a tech and keep my ass in the rear with the gear.
Nice, I got mad respect for you ground pounders. I have 0 desire to do what you do, hence why I fly helicopters for the USAF.

Also, both those countries are not great vacation spots.