First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bronco Saga Continues, Bronco has been at dealership 3 weeks. Bronco has been bounced around from driveline tech, to suspension tech and now back to driveline tech.

Service Director has acknowledged the noise and sent me an update that "they are in contact with Ford engineering to solve the problem - we think the front locking hubs are the culprit"

I have open front diff :) .
Jeez, they can't tell where the noise is coming from? Is the Service Manager involved? I found the noise in mine- and right where it was coming from. I had to specifically point out where the noise was with the front end jacked up.

Is yours making the same noise as in the videos in the post? (This one and the one by Superford).
Sponsored

southwest270

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco: Jeep Cherokee 2001
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi, thanks for response. Yes the service director is involved.

My noise is similar but at 50mph and above.

I am not allowed in service area too much liability here in CA.

I have sent them tons of information and they just dismiss it.

Unbelievable

OP
OP

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi, thanks for response. Yes the service director is involved.

My noise is similar but at 50mph and above.

I am not allowed in service area too much liability here in CA.

I have sent them tons of information and they just dismiss it.

Unbelievable
Sounds like your issue is different if it is occurring at 50 MPH and above. That one is going to be difficult to detect. My noise was much more obvious and could be heard quite loud when just jacking the vehicle up and rotating the front tire.

Good luck, hopefully they find the issue!

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.7L or 2.3L or both?

OP
OP

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mine I have 2.7, Sasquatch so it has the advanced 4WD system where the front driveshaft turns all of the time.

Sponsored

HorseChief

Base
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve had my 2023 base Sasquatch bronco with a 2.7l for only a few months and this same whirring noise has been irritating me for at least 2 months. Took it to a local dealer, showed them this page, videos, and everything else I can find online. They said they can hear the noise but could not find the issue, which is a good indication they didn’t try very hard. All in all, they sent me home after leaving it there for a week and said to let them know if it gets worse. This is not a good look for Ford. What’s a warranty worth if they don’t honor it.

OP
OP

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve had my 2023 base Sasquatch bronco with a 2.7l for only a few months and this same whirring noise has been irritating me for at least 2 months. Took it to a local dealer, showed them this page, videos, and everything else I can find online. They said they can hear the noise but could not find the issue, which is a good indication they didn’t try very hard. All in all, they sent me home after leaving it there for a week and said to let them know if it gets worse. This is not a good look for Ford. What’s a warranty worth if they don’t honor it.
Did you have them jack, the vehicle up.... while you were there with them.....and clearly demonstrate the noise? They would not acknowledge me at first, even with a video of the noise. I had to bring it in when it was making the noise very loud, had the SM jack the vehicle up, rotate one of the tires, then he heard the noise very clear. He then immediately went to another Bronco on the lot, jacked it up to see if it would make the same noise, it did not. But it did not have the advanced 4WD system where the front driveshaft turns all of the time. Mine has advanced and the front driveshaft turns all of the time.

He still did not know what the noise was- transfer case, etc., then kept it for a day and determined it was the driveshaft making the noise and replaced it. My noise has not returned after replacement of the driveshaft, I now have 8K miles on it. I recommend bring it there and demonstrate the noise for them. Noises are very subject to interpretation. Don't give up, bring it back.

Hael

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did you have them jack, the vehicle up.... while you were there with them.....and clearly demonstrate the noise? They would not acknowledge me at first, even with a video of the noise. I had to bring it in when it was making the noise very loud, had the SM jack the vehicle up, rotate one of the tires, then he heard the noise very clear. He then immediately went to another Bronco on the lot, jacked it up to see if it would make the same noise, it did not. But it did not have the advanced 4WD system where the front driveshaft turns all of the time. Mine has advanced and the front driveshaft turns all of the time.

He still did not know what the noise was- transfer case, etc., then kept it for a day and determined it was the driveshaft making the noise and replaced it. My noise has not returned after replacement of the driveshaft, I now have 8K miles on it. I recommend bring it there and demonstrate the noise for them. Noises are very subject to interpretation. Don't give up, bring it back.
Hi, I apologize for reviving an old thread but we just took ownership of a 24 Black Diamond and have already had to have the drive shaft replaced. The dealership stated there was a tear in the boot causing the driveshaft to go bad. They could not determine what the cause of tear was other than they did not believe it was caused by an outside element like debris hitting it. They suggested possibly the boot being defective or it happened during installation.

My question is, did your replacement driveshadt fix your issue or did it reappear? Do you think the heat shield is what helped or do you believe the swap is what did it? Thanks in advance for any insight. I am nervous given we only have about 1800 miles on the vehicle.

Tyistick

Wildtrak
First Name
Tyi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Dr WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hi, I apologize for reviving an old thread but we just took ownership of a 24 Black Diamond and have already had to have the drive shaft replaced. The dealership stated there was a tear in the boot causing the driveshaft to go bad. They could not determine what the cause of tear was other than they did not believe it was caused by an outside element like debris hitting it. They suggested possibly the boot being defective or it happened during installation.

My question is, did your replacement driveshadt fix your issue or did it reappear? Do you think the heat shield is what helped or do you believe the swap is what did it? Thanks in advance for any insight. I am nervous given we only have about 1800 miles on the vehicle.
I had mine done at around 6k.
It definitely solved the issue. So far at 11k it's still good.
I had to take mine to guy who owns a off-road shop to have mine diagnosed because 2 different Ford dealerships couldn't find the noise. It took him all of 1 hour to put it up on the rack and have someone hop in it and drive it up on the lift and found it was in the drive shaft at the transfer case.
He pulled the shaft and the noise disappeared he ordered a new one from Ford and it's been good since.
He did have a pretty good reason for the issue.
The grease in the boot was not a heat temperature rated lube.
He said it looked like a general purpose grease and wasn't a XG-5.
He thinks that who ever Ford source for our axels during Covid probably didn't have the motor craft XG-5 available and just used a generator purpose grease. And this probably wouldn't have been an issue if our exhaust didn't cross over right under that Cx joint area causing the heat to break the lube down and joint failure to occur.
I mean it seems as good an explanation as any Ford has come up with to date.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anybody got a current part number for the driveshaft being replaced? Seems like the path of least resistance is DIY or provide the part to a trusted shop should you encounter the issue. I’ll save warranty work at the dealership and all of its drama for the really difficult, technical, specialized, big and expensive stuff. Thank you
Edit: MB3Z-4A376-U from much earlier post…gonna google it to see if part has been superseded…
Edit 2: MB3Z-4A376-U is the current part number for the OP’s (and mine) Bronco spec

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

So far I have not had any more noise issues after the driveshaft swap and the heat shield install. I do not know whether it is the new driveshaft or the heatshield or both. The service manager did say something about the grease hardening in the boot and sticking to the boot causing the noise so who knows the cause of that- incorrect grease maybe? Anyway the heatshield is still on and holding up well too. I now have 10,750 miles on it.

Hael

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anybody got a current part number for the driveshaft being replaced? Seems like the path of least resistance is DIY or provide the part to a trusted shop should you encounter the issue. I’ll save warranty work at the dealership and all of its drama for the really difficult, technical, specialized, big and expensive stuff. Thank you
Edit: MB3Z-4A376-U from much earlier post…gonna google it to see if part has been superseded…
Edit 2: MB3Z-4A376-U is the current part number for the OP’s (and mine) Bronco spec
I will get you the Part Number on the Service paperwork once I am back in town.
So far I have not had any more noise issues after the driveshaft swap and the heat shield install. I do not know whether it is the new driveshaft or the heatshield or both. The service manager did say something about the grease hardening in the boot and sticking to the boot causing the noise so who knows the cause of that- incorrect grease maybe? Anyway the heatshield is still on and holding up well too. I now have 10,750 miles on it.
Do you mind sharing pics of the heat shield and materials used?

Reactions: 0ne

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
I will get you the Part Number on the Service paperwork once I am back in town.

Do you mind sharing pics of the heat shield and materials used?
Any luck with this? Thx

OP
OP

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry, I forgot to grab a picture. I'll try to get underneath it the next few days. In the meantime, I used duct work material that I cut with tin snips, manually formed it by hand, then drilled mounting holes in it to mount it to existing fasteners already there. I started with a piece of cardboard first, then traced the pattern onto the ductwork.

Reactions: 0ne

OF Hero

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Damnit I think I have this noise now, after only 1800 miles.

Does it sound like propeller noise that speeds up/slows down depending on your speed?
Sponsored