Sponsored

Who Has Aftermarket Firewall Insulation?

CowboyKid

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Has anyone added firewall insulation to a Bronco model that doesn't have it from the factory? If so, is doing that reasonably possible without removing the engine? Any tips for the best approach? Seems like a tight space - but I don't have my rig yet so judging from photos only. I am thinking about adding the Second Skin Mega Block hydrophobic foam heat shield (https://www.secondskinaudio.com/heat-insulation/mega-block); mostly for temperature insulation, but also noise reduction. I need at least 2" clearance between the insulation and the engine, according to Second Skin.

Related thread: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/firewall-sound-deadening.29507/
Sponsored

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Huh? This is a thing? You don’t want to pull the engine out for that, have you seen the spaghetti and packaging of the engines in there?

braften

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco. goodbye accord, you served well
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i think your best bet for temperature and noise insulation would be adding more stuff to your top, rather than your firewall. theres not gonna be much thats gonna come through your firewall, and your AC/heater will deal with more of the temp swings and the sheer mass of the dash will deal with most of the noise.

OP
OP
CowboyKid

CowboyKid

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Huh? This is a thing? You don’t want to pull the engine out for that, have you seen the spaghetti and packaging of the engines in there?
Absolutely I do not. That is why I'm asking.

OP
OP
CowboyKid

CowboyKid

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
i think your best bet for temperature and noise insulation would be adding more stuff to your top, rather than your firewall. theres not gonna be much thats gonna come through your firewall, and your AC/heater will deal with more of the temp swings and the sheer mass of the dash will deal with most of the noise.
I agree that insulating the engine bay is not first priority. I am ready to add weatherstripping to the MIC roof to deal with wind noise, and vibration dampener to the inside firewall, doors and on the floor to mitigate tire/exhaust and road noise. I don't need it to be super quiet. But in the other thread I referenced in my original post, someone was bothered by engine noise. I know that's a subjective thing; bothers some; doesn't bother others. Probably would bother me somewhat as I am used to a quieter ride, and grew up with louder cars so appreciate the difference.

Sponsored

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone added firewall insulation to a Bronco model that doesn't have it from the factory? If so, is doing that reasonably possible without removing the engine? Any tips for the best approach? Seems like a tight space - but I don't have my rig yet so judging from photos only. I am thinking about adding the Second Skin Mega Block hydrophobic foam heat shield (https://www.secondskinaudio.com/heat-insulation/mega-block); mostly for temperature insulation, but also noise reduction. I need at least 2" clearance between the insulation and the engine, according to Second Skin.

Related thread: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/firewall-sound-deadening.29507/
there is the sound deadening on the underside of the hood that you can install

OP
OP
CowboyKid

CowboyKid

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
there is the sound deadening on the underside of the hood that you can install
True. I am getting a hood liner because I like the aesthetic and to protect the hood paint from engine heat, though modern cars don't seem to suffer much from that like older ones did. I do worry that maybe condensate will linger between it and the hood; so may want to check on that. As for noise, hood liners only protect people outside the vehicle from hearing the engine; so that is a kind of side-benefit if you care about that...which I don't much. Sound deadening material makes little to no difference to mitigate inside cabin noise, and in fact could make it worse due to rattling of the hood pad and the clips (could wrap the clips with Tessa tape and maybe lessen that). Hood deadeners also do not insulate the cabin. My goal in insulating the firewall inside the engine bay -- if it can be done -- is to deaden vibration and heat/cold coming from the engine as well as road impact noise translated through the upper part of the firewall that I can't address from the occupant compartment.

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Who Has Aftermarket Firewall Insulation? IMG_0129