First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Most people put the car seat behind the passenger seat because car seats are huge and result in the front row seat more forward than desired.
Incorrect, I always had my children who are grown now on the driverside. My wife was the passenger and she attended to the lil ones while I drove.
You want the larger side on the driver's side so that you can fit the most things WITHOUT having to walk around. How does that not make sense.
Correct, the 40 section was intended for longer items that could go all the way in and not impede on the drivers area.
This is wrong. You put the car seat on the driver's side so you don't have to walk around, 1000%. Nobody wants to put their kid in and have to walk back around the car in the rain or snow.
Correct, and you tend not to forget the child is in the car cause you see them as you are exited the vehicle and walking along side of the vehicle.
Shouldn't be reaching for your kid while driving anyway and putting the kid behind the driver affords the front passenger access to see and reach.
Exactly, the spouse is the person attending.
Sponsored

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is wrong. You put the car seat on the driver's side so you don't have to walk around, 1000%. Nobody wants to put their kid in and have to walk back around the car in the rain or snow.
I don't have kids and never will, but my understanding is you put them on the right side so you're not getting the kid in and out of the vehicle in traffic, but rather curbside.

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't have kids and never will, but my understanding is you put them on the right side so you're not getting the kid in and out of the vehicle in traffic, but rather curbside.
When I was driving my wife was the attendee, and also she sat in the rear seat along side of the lil ones. So she always unbuckled and exited with the child. Now a days everyone is so concerned with their cellphones than any child or others around. I don't know how many times I've yelled at a parent driving with children and are texting or browsing.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most people put the car seat behind the passenger seat because car seats are huge and result in the front row seat more forward than desired.
There's also the fact that the passenger side doesn't open into traffic like the driver side does so neither the child nor any adult assisting them needs to put themselves at risk for vehicle ingress/egress.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My back seat currently has one car seat installed, on the passenger side. Rear facing seats are huge, it won't fit behind me and I'm pretty far forward and 5'10".

Sponsored

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Got to disagree with you there kind internet person. When alone with a child I want to have easy reach and sight, putting them passenger side of back seat affords that for the driver. If a co-parent is on board then let them make the call of which afford easiest access during the drive.
Put me in the "passenger side" camp. Curbside parking, you don't want the kid getting in and out of the driver's side. We had twins, so we didn't have to worry about which side to put the car seat in, but we always got the kids in and out on the passenger side if we had to park curbside. And when they were old enough to get out on their own, they still exited the passenger side (school drop-off, for instance).

Not everybody has their "spouse" sitting in the passenger seat every time they drive their kids somewhere. And being able to glance back quickly and see your kid is safer than trying to look in the mirror or turn completely around when you have to.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Pretty standard to do a 60/40 split either way? I think they did it that way because almost everyone does it that way. Just remove the rear seats and it's not a problem.

But I'm a car seat/passenger behind the passenger seat and no seat behind the driver kind of guy.

Saltwater Junkie

Outer Banks
First Name
Sir Fishin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 7.3 F350, 22 7.3 F350, 23 2.7 BRONCO OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

60% is for the Mother in laws..who always sit behind driver for obvious reasons.

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's important to understand that if both side were 60% the seat would be too wide to fit.
And, if both were 40% there would be a gap. The gap could be useful for jacks and air compressors, but Ford probably did not foresee this.

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm with you, for the Broncos intended use the larger split should have been on the passenger side for sleeping purposes and not having to move the drivers seat.

Of course, it should've had a flat floor with the seats down as well.

Philyn8iv

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Edge, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is this really even a discussion. And for the ones that sleep in your bronco what is the percentage of vehicles on the road to sleeping in their vehicle. Maybe 2-3%. Find something worthwhile to complain about. But I do enjoy the humorous reading material.

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is this really even a discussion. And for the ones that sleep in your bronco what is the percentage of vehicles on the road to sleeping in their vehicle. Maybe 2-3%. Find something worthwhile to complain about. But I do enjoy the humorous reading material.
Me too. It is particularly entertaining reading posts like this that add nothing to the discussion.

And by the way, sleeping in the vehicle was one of the features that was heavily emphasized at launch.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/01/2021-ford-bronco-camping-everything-there-is-to-know/

https://fordauthority.com/2020/11/2021-ford-bronco-was-designed-to-double-as-a-comfy-camper/

We spent a lot of time engaging in the outdoors with off-road enthusiasts and understood Bronco had to elevate the off-road camping experience with cleverness and comfort,” said Bill Mangan, Bronco chief interior designer. “So we made sure our four-door models could accommodate in-car camping and we followed it with best in class overall openness with the top removed so campers can enjoy spectacular nighttime views.”
I guess best in class means uneven cargo area and a mongo gap that opens up when you slide the front seats forward to accommodate 6ft+ individuals. If they had given it so much thought the 60% split would have been on the passenger side and the rear seats would have had the ability to slide further forward when folded flat.

But I agree, most Broncos are used to haul toddlers to dancing class (Raptors and Wildtracks in particular) so they had to give that function priority.

Last edited:

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs