Sponsored

Will there be a Bronco Raptor R Edition?

Wiser Bronco

Raptor
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Really considering a Bronco Raptor, but since they came out with the R on the F-150 maybe they will on the Bronco as well does anyone have any insight on this? Maybe they trademarked and someone can look it up that way.
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The question to ask is where would they build it?

In that they would have to retool MAP to accommodate a v8 on the line. I think it would be a big investment for Ford and they would have to sell a few of them to recoup their investment.

They can't even make enough Warthogs now.

Last edited:

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It seems like a very logical progression to me and I think it is more likely than not, eventually. I don't think it would get a V8 though. IIRC FMC said it just doesn't fit.

jeffac

Raptor
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Haha,
Would be cool but man there is 0 room under the hoods. Tried to find a spot for an ARB pump under the hood and couldn’t. Couldn’t even really find a place for a winch control relocation box to go. They’d have to make it larger. It’s really fun with the 3.0 and gets up an goes. Plus the sound is awesome on Baja exhaust mode. Would I want a 3.5? Sure

Sponsored

Finbox

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KLR650
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
They thought about putting the normally aspirated 5.0 V8, but the 3.0 has more low end torque than the 5.0 so to do a true R they would have to put in the supercharged V-8 in there just no room for that.

so for a truck with max speed of 114mph the 3.0 was the better/faster motor.

3.0V6 418hp 440ft. 3000rpm
5.0V8 480hp 418ft. 4200rpm

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They thought about putting the normally aspirated 5.0 V8, but the 3.0 has more low end torque than the 5.0 so to do a true R they would have to put in the supercharged V-8 in there just no room for that.

so for a truck with max speed of 114mph the 3.0 was the better/faster motor.

3.0V6 418hp 440ft. 3000rpm
5.0V8 480hp 418ft. 4200rpm
The power comparison is what people really need to be focusing on.

I don't think the Coyote would even fit just because it's so wide compared to many older V8s.

The 3.0L hybrid (494hp 630tq) in the Lincolns would be interesting if all the extra bits fit. That way Ford could check off the hybrid box without forcing them upom every Bronco driver.

Any furthering of the Bronco Raptor shtick needs to be a two-door version like a KOH version and I'd buy it even if it was limited to 88mph. Just make sure it runs the Rubicon stock with not even a concern about body damage, like a walk in the park.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
The question to ask is where would they build it?

In that they would have to retool MAP to accommodate a v8 on the line. I think it would be a big investment for Ford and they would have to sell a few of them to recoup their investment.

They can't even make enough Warthogs now.
If it doesn't have a V8, it's not a Warthog.

Finbox

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KLR650
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The V-8 coyote will fit, it’s in the DR

quote below from interwebs

The Bronco Raptor is street legal, and we suspect Ford will build as many as it can sell. That's why there's a V6 instead of a V8 under the hood because, per Muscle Cars & Trucks, it's easier for Ford to build them. Ford Performance Vehicle Engineer Derek Bier spoke to MC&T, explaining the Bronco assembly line is already set for a family of engines including the turbocharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder and the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6. The 3.0-liter is an offshoot of the 2.7, which basically makes it a plug-and-play addition to the current manufacturing process. In short, it's a practical choice for mass production that offers more power than the V8.

Justb211

Raptor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The power comparison is what people really need to be focusing on.

I don't think the Coyote would even fit just because it's so wide compared to many older V8s.

The 3.0L hybrid (494hp 630tq) in the Lincolns would be interesting if all the extra bits fit. That way Ford could check off the hybrid box without forcing them upom every Bronco driver.

Any furthering of the Bronco Raptor shtick needs to be a two-door version like a KOH version and I'd buy it even if it was limited to 88mph. Just make sure it runs the Rubicon stock with not even a concern about body damage, like a walk in the park.
. The KOH version or ones used in KOH are just 2 door broncos with a 2.7 eccoboost, 74weld portals, spydertrax axles and fox coil overs. Of course better axle shafts and drive shafts but it’s all stuff you can purchase off the shelf and install.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Wiser Bronco

Wiser Bronco

Raptor
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I remember Ford rep said a V8 won't fit, but they are fitting Coyote into the Classic Broncos just thinking out loud. I think it would be rad to see some more power for long baja runs.

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

everything seems to point to the choice of a v6 to ease of manufacturing. I know when i put the hammer down on mine it takes awhile for the turbos to spin up no matter what mode its in. Ive never had a vehicle with such delayed power from a stop before, but then again I've always had a v8. So the "we like the torque of a v6" ford always says is bull.

They're right that the coyote is a large engine for the displacement. If i blow mine up it's getting an LS3......

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The V-8 coyote will fit, it’s in the DR

quote below from interwebs

The Bronco Raptor is street legal, and we suspect Ford will build as many as it can sell. That's why there's a V6 instead of a V8 under the hood because, per Muscle Cars & Trucks, it's easier for Ford to build them. Ford Performance Vehicle Engineer Derek Bier spoke to MC&T, explaining the Bronco assembly line is already set for a family of engines including the turbocharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder and the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6. The 3.0-liter is an offshoot of the 2.7, which basically makes it a plug-and-play addition to the current manufacturing process. In short, it's a practical choice for mass production that offers more power than the V8.
The Bronco DR is barely a Bronco, so engine bay comparisons don’t really make sense with production Raptors.

Here’s why a V8 can fit below. Also pretty clear it’s a 4 door wheelbase with some long rear quarters to make it a “2 door”

Ford Bronco Will there be a Bronco Raptor R Edition? IMG_1684

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I remember Ford rep said a V8 won't fit, but they are fitting Coyote into the Classic Broncos just thinking out loud. I think it would be rad to see some more power for long baja runs.
I read the bronco program manager said that the 3.5 wouldn't "properly" fit, he didn't say the coyote wouldn't fit he said they didn't like the "torque curve" of the coyote. It sounds like BS to me, the ecoboost is their flagship engine, their production line is set up for it...... what else would they use.....
Sponsored