First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I might do the rockers with line x. I've never had an American vehicle (aluminum F-150 excepted) that went 5 years without some rust forming on the rockers, and the Bronco I expect to be particularly bad because of the exposed pinch weld and tendency to throw rocks. I highly doubt LineX would ever crack or separate like some other coatings. I've had LineX on every truck bed I've had and it's basically indestructible.
Sponsored

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use fluid film on everything that is prone to rust and it has been awesome. Living in this part of WI the climate is conducive to rust and road salt contributes heavily to the problem. I will definitely check out the CRC product though.

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, but I was specifically wondering about Line X undercoating. I was looking for feedback on that. Sorry if it was redundant to other threads.
It’s a bad product for undercoating

reasons and alternative options given

so????? What’s the question

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I use fluid film on everything that is prone to rust and it has been awesome. Living in this part of WI the climate is conducive to rust and road salt contributes heavily to the problem. I will definitely check out the CRC product though.
Did you have any issues getting the Fluid Film to spray in a fine enough particulate for easy coating surfaces?

I used the Wool Wax version, with an extension wand for inside my boxed frame. It wanted to spray in larger chunks, which made evenly coating surfaces more difficult. I was thinking about heating it up more before spraying, or cutting it down with something.

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you have any issues getting the Fluid Film to spray in a fine enough particulate for easy coating surfaces?

I used the Wool Wax version, with an extension wand for inside my boxed frame. It wanted to spray in larger chunks, which made evenly coating surfaces more difficult. I was thinking about heating it up more before spraying, or cutting it down with something.
I use the rattle cans and they disperse similar to spray paint. The cans come with the little red straws for smaller areas. I’ve heard about cutting with wd-40, but I don’t mind it the way it is.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Shacky4

Shacky4

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
At this point, I guess the question of whether to Line X for underbody rust protection has been answered. I am enjoying the conversation about better alternatives. Thanks!

It’s a bad product for undercoating

reasons and alternative options given

so????? What’s the question

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just had the underbody sprayed with Fluid Film earlier this week. He did the doors, hood, and tailgate as well. I know they're aluminum but I figured there's got to be something in there that could rust, so why not.

He said he really appreciated all the easy access plugs and stuff.

For those that used Fluid Film or the Wool Wax, do you guys do underbody washes during salt season or leave it on until they're done salting?

Obviously too many high pressure sprays will take it off, but a rinse?

mljohnson1973

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just had the underbody sprayed with Fluid Film earlier this week. He did the doors, hood, and tailgate as well. I know they're aluminum but I figured there's got to be something in there that could rust, so why not.

He said he really appreciated all the easy access plugs and stuff.

For those that used Fluid Film or the Wool Wax, do you guys do underbody washes during salt season or leave it on until they're done salting?

Obviously too many high pressure sprays will take it off, but a rinse?
Who does treatment like that ? I've never even heard of this until this forum. Where did you go to get it done and what's the cost ? I'm interested being up near Chicago but no clue where to look.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Who does treatment like that ? I've never even heard of this until this forum. Where did you go to get it done and what's the cost ? I'm interested being up near Chicago but no clue where to look.
Guy I used is in Fox Lake, I just searched undercoaters or Line-X places. I think his is call Spraytech.

I'm reluctant to post pricing as it was his first Bronco so he may want to adjust up or down depending on his experience. You can PM me for more info

Adoptwithme

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you think Line-x is an option to cover the pinch weld?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Shacky4

Shacky4

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Do you think Line-x is an option to cover the pinch weld?
I think it would work. I just taped it off and sprayed it with flat black paint. I would think LineX would be pretty similar. But, I'd be careful not to seal anything that wasn't sealed by design or it may hold in moisture.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ll be doing some extra corrosion protection on my Bronco but it won’t involve line x. I also wash it a few times a week and make sure that includes the undercarriage during the winter Luckily I only have one more winter in MN as we will soon be empty nesters and spending 7 months each year in Florida. I’lll be taking my Bronco with me. :)

My extra protection will involve some undercoating and this 3M Cavity Wax Plus inside many other panels, frame rails, and other hard to reach areas.

Ford Bronco Will you Line-X? 9CD07535-5045-4B88-A9CA-63E0113607FB

Ford Bronco Will you Line-X? 9CD07535-5045-4B88-A9CA-63E0113607FB

Thunderstick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Fluid Film is a mixture of lanolin and wax. It has the consistency of pudding, and smells like a truck stop men's room. Wool Wax is a very similar product, but has a much higher viscosity. Both products come in a natural caramel color, or black. The black is just the regular stuff with graphite added.

Fluid Film being a thinner material creeps into places over time that Wool Wax will not, kind of like penetrating oil. This makes it ideal for first applications, and applications like pinch welds. Some people do thin out Fluid Film with chainsaw bar oil, diesel, or whatever else is on the shelf. There's all kinds of goofy recipes for crap to mix it with online, but keep in mind that Fluid Film and Woolwax are natural products and the stuff most people mix in is petroleum. The Fluid Film that's sold in aerosol cans is slightly thinner in consistency than the material you buy by the gallon, and some internet experts speculate it penetrates pinch welds better. The aerosols are certainly more expensive at 9 bucks for 12 oz compared to 45 bucks a gallon. Wool Wax is about 10 bucks a gallon more expensive than Fluid Film. If I choose to use Woolwax, it will be as a re coat over fluid film. They are compatible, and Woolwax might last a little longer on exposed surfaces. Some people re coat each fall, some skip a year.

Application of the bulk material is easy enough if you've got a decent compressor, a pair of ramps, and some old clothes. You'll probably want to put down a tarp if you have a nice driveway. I'd highly recommend the $95 Pro Application Kit from Kellsport. It works with either product, and the owner of the company is a top notch guy. If there's a problem he'll work with you to figure it out. With this being something that wears off exposed surfaces over time and requires re application, having good tools is worthwhile. After the first heavy coat, you might want to park in your neighbor's driveway for the first few hot days while it creeps and drips.

I used a bunch of aerosols, then after I figured out I was going broke and still had a long way to go I bought the Pro Kit. It took the cans, plus a couple of gallons to do my Super Duty with a heavy initial application. I'd guess re applications on exposed surfaces will take less than a gallon. If the damn Bronco ever shows up, a gallon will probably be sufficient for a solid first application.

If you do decide to go with aerosols, don't waste your fifteen bucks on the DU-MOST application straw from Amazon. I've had 2 of them, and they leak more material on your hand and down the side of the can than goes on the truck.

I'd be cautious with truck bed liner sprays as there are drain channels in the pinch weld areas that could easily be plugged by it. Once they are filled in water and road salt will pool inside with plenty of oxygen and no where to go until it rusts through.
Sponsored

Last edited: