Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Just a quick FYI. The BRaptor Aux switches are not the same as the Bronco. Aux 3 is the 30 amp on the BRaptor.
aux-switch.jpg
Good catch - thanks for pointing that out
Sponsored

timbal1963

Raptor
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 VB WT, 22&23 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thank you. I'm planning on doing it my self. I should be good to go as I was going to allot two days in case I ran into issues. Did you have to use an Aux switch for the winch?
No. I did not use an Aux switch. It is connected directly to the battery. The controller is currently a wired system that needs to be connect in order to operate the winch. I plan to get the Warn remote at some point.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thank you. Thats what I thought, but there were a couple questions about Aux switch, so I figured I would ask.

OP
OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Just installed my JCR winch plate, Warn Zeon 12-S, JCR Camera Relo Kit, Factor 55 Fairlead, Flat Link and Rope Guard yesterday.

Raptor sensor wiring is different than standard Bronco (I did same install on FE two months ago). Just cut out the short one, skip stripping harness on that side and splice in 12” -16’ of wire, save yourself the heartache of coming up short.

Running battery cables up next to the headlight was easy. I used I wire coat hanger taped smooth, the slid right through, but it s tight. I did pull the clip holding the grill running lights harness to get it out of the way to make room for sliding the cables through.

I pulled the painted valance this time it makes it easier to get to the plug for the bumper wiring harness. Unhooking that plug was a pain on the FE It pulls off easily, makes routing the camera wire,sprayer hose and other cables easier too.

Don’t forget to put your silver plastic center cover before mounting the plate, winch etc. you can unbolt the plate and slip it in later with some help. Don’t ask me how I know.

Lmk if you have any questions, glad to help. Best of luck!

DD5AF4ED-88F9-4AFF-93FE-10454F29C1DE.jpeg
38573F68-419C-4072-99CE-0BA92230F84D.jpeg
BD1BB3EF-3B64-4049-81BC-90A51E3C3746.jpeg
0F4E17A1-E463-48C0-8C18-A87BD8D1529F.jpeg

switz

Raptor
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor, 2022 Bronco Bad Lands
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Just installed my JCR winch plate, Warn Zeon 12-S, JCR Camera Relo Kit, Factor 55 Fairlead, Flat Link and Rope Guard yesterday.

Raptor sensor wiring is different than standard Bronco (I did same install on FE two months ago). Just cut out the short one, skip stripping harness on that side and splice in 12” -16’ of wire, save yourself the heartache of coming up short.

Running battery cables up next to the headlight was easy. I used I wire coat hanger taped smooth, the slid right through, but it s tight. I did pull the clip holding the grill running lights harness to get it out of the way to make room for sliding the cables through.

I pulled the painted valance this time it makes it easier to get to the plug for the bumper wiring harness. Unhooking that plug was a pain on the FE It pulls off easily, makes routing the camera wire,sprayer hose and other cables easier too.

Don’t forget to put your silver plastic center cover before mounting the plate, winch etc. you can unbolt the plate and slip it in later with some help. Don’t ask me how I know.

DD5AF4ED-88F9-4AFF-93FE-10454F29C1DE.jpeg
38573F68-419C-4072-99CE-0BA92230F84D.jpeg
BD1BB3EF-3B64-4049-81BC-90A51E3C3746.jpeg
0F4E17A1-E463-48C0-8C18-A87BD8D1529F.jpeg
Looks great! So, you actually cut the wiring harness and added wire to get it longer? I just watched their video showing removing and cutting the tape. Are you adding/splicing wire on the two sensors that fit into the new winch plate? Does the ACC work OK with this setup?

The only thing I don't like is how far forward the camera is. I hope someone comes up with a mount that goes behind and above the center of the winch. About how long did it take start to finish? Thanks for the post.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Which sensor did you have to add wire too? What gage wire?

Good time on winch power cables.

What is the painted valance you're referring to?

How long did it taker, did you have help?

I now have all the parts to install mine.

OP
OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Which sensor did you have to add wire too? What gage wire?

Good time on winch power cables.

What is the painted valance you're referring to?

How long did it taker, did you have help?

I now have all the parts to install mine.
I’m getting old! I’m not absolutely sure which side it was, but it will be very obvious once you start stripping out the harness, each sensor has three wires. I believe it was drivers side, but after flipping over the bumper and working on it from both sides, I’m not positive. On one side the three wires run back “forever in one direction”. On the other side within a couple inches one of the three wires doubles back in the other direction which severely shortens the amount of cable available to go out to the winch plate. I used 20 gauge, but sensor wires were slightly smaller gauge, probably 21/22.

Not sure what your mean by good time? Frankly it went really easy on the Braptor. But I did move the running light cable to the side, I think it would have been much more difficult sliding positive through without doing that. And to be clear. While it went easy it’s a very snug fit, it could be tough if you start getting hung up. I found the coat hanger allowed me to get a very straight and smooth (with painters tape) edge for the pull.

The painted balance is the skinny plastic panel running just above the bumper. It pulls (pull parallel with the bumper from the side of vehicle) off on the outsides with firm steady pressure, then work from each side toward middle popping out 4 or 5 clips straight out from bumper. The Braptor has some rubber seals mounted to the top of the bumper that other broncos don’t. Removing the valence will make it easier to thread your power cables up past head light, but not absolutely necessary

I did all the tear down and wiring work by myself on day one, but I also pulled a headlight and wired my pod lights on day one that took about 6 hours, but I did it in the street where it was warm and sunny. So between taking my sweet time and walking back and forth to the garage for tools probably 5-6 hours for that.

My friend came the next day and we put it back together and wound the winch cable using his bronco. That probably took 4 hours but we were talking and working slowly.

On his bronco we worked together and it took 8 hours for both of us. But neither of us are great mechanics and it was the first time digging into the bronco for either of us.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Looks great! So, you actually cut the wiring harness and added wire to get it longer? I just watched their video showing removing and cutting the tape. Are you adding/splicing wire on the two sensors that fit into the new winch plate? Does the ACC work OK with this setup?

The only thing I don't like is how far forward the camera is. I hope someone comes up with a mount that goes behind and above the center of the winch. About how long did it take start to finish? Thanks for the post.
Yes I added wire.After I started stripping back the harness on my Raptor I discovered there was no way one side would be long enough due to the way ford wired the raptor. It wasn’t this way on my friends FE, we followed JCR video instructions but that still ended up being a very very tight fit for sensor to reach its me location. So I cut the three wires about three inches from the sensor and spliced in about a foot of wire (I used 20 gauge) on each sensors wire with soldered heat shrink connectors, re armored and retapped. Note: the JCR video is on a standard bronco, not a Raptor. The Raptor is such a different vehicle, so many small differences you wouldn’t notice till digging in.

I don’t have an ACC on the Raptor. But I can’t see how splicing wire into the parking sensor would affect that. My friends FE we did works perfectly for ACC and JCR has assured ACC will work on all installations, but Raptor could introduce some new issue, who knows?

Watch the ASFIR video for how they relocate the camera. It’s set well back and high, but I’m not cutting my grill at this point. I’m also not sure how clear the camera view is in that position, it looks like it would still catch a fair amount of winch, but I can’t be sure. The JCR mount only sees a small bit of my tope guard on my flat link. But if that far forward position becomes an issue I’d consider the ASFIR solution. EDIT: I just was looking at my grill, the Raptor running lights look like they’ll conflict with ASFIR solution.

I’m a so so mechanic so is my buddy, it took us all day working together to install everything first time, but we were learning as we went. I did it a bit quicker this time and also installed/wound the synthetic rope. Getting the rope threaded and puck seated properly has been a time consuming pain in the …. Both times.

Good luck

Last edited:

timbal1963

Raptor
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 VB WT, 22&23 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ford Bronco Winch solutions for your Raptor 0F4E17A1-E463-48C0-8C18-A87BD8D1529F
Ford Bronco Winch solutions for your Raptor 0F4E17A1-E463-48C0-8C18-A87BD8D1529F
Looks great. Sounds like you had the same struggles I did. I thought I was all done until i turned around and saw the silver cover sitting there with all the clips.

I thought the winch cover was also a pain to install. Planning to leave that on as long as the winch is there. Nice work and thanks for adding content to the installation process.

OP
OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Looks great. Sounds like you had the same struggles I did. I thought I was all done until i turned around and saw the silver cover sitting there with all the clips.

I thought the winch cover was also a pain to install. Planning to leave that on as long as the winch is there. Nice work and thanks for adding content to the installation process.
Haha! Sounds like I was there! Trim piece was fortunately easy to get in retroactively with a second pair of hands.

I had same issue with my Warn winch cover. There is very little clearance between the ends of the winch and the side of the winch plate. The elastic strap slip in easily, but I had to push the draw strings through with a panel tool. I’m retrospect I may have put the cover on before tightening down the winch. And I’m definitely leaving on the cover permanently. The access panels on Warn winch cover are easy to use.

Good to know I’m not alone!

Sponsored

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I’m getting old! I’m not absolutely sure which side it was, but it will be very obvious once you start stripping out the harness, each sensor has three wires. I believe it was drivers side, but after flipping over the bumper and working on it from both sides, I’m not positive. On one side the three wires run back “forever in one direction”. On the other side within a couple inches one of the three wires doubles back in the other direction which severely shortens the amount of cable available to go out to the winch plate. I used 20 gauge, but sensor wires were slightly smaller gauge, probably 21/22.

Not sure what your mean by good time? Frankly it went really easy on the Braptor. But I did move the running light cable to the side, I think it would have been much more difficult sliding positive through without doing that. And to be clear. While it went easy it’s a very snug fit, it could be tough if you start getting hung up. I found the coat hanger allowed me to get a very straight and smooth (with painters tape) edge for the pull.

The painted balance is the skinny plastic panel running just above the bumper. It pulls (pull parallel with the bumper from the side of vehicle) off on the outsides with firm steady pressure, then work from each side toward middle popping out 4 or 5 clips straight out from bumper. The Braptor has some rubber seals mounted to the top of the bumper that other broncos don’t. Removing the valence will make it easier to thread your power cables up past head light, but not absolutely necessary

I did all the tear down and wiring work by myself on day one, but I also pulled a headlight and wired my pod lights on day one that took about 6 hours, but I did it in the street where it was warm and sunny. So between taking my sweet time and walking back and forth to the garage for tools probably 5-6 hours for that.

My friend came the next day and we put it back together and wound the winch cable using his bronco. That probably took 4 hours but we were talking and working slowly.

On his bronco we worked together and it took 8 hours for both of us. But neither of us are great mechanics and it was the first time digging into the bronco for either of us.
That was supposed to be good tip with the power cables.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I'm sure it will help when I do this.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have been trying to get it off. The corners are on very tight and I am afraid if I pull to hard it will break. So I just pull the sides towards the Front?

Ford Bronco Winch solutions for your Raptor IMG_2668

Got the camera all removed from the grill, and the grill harness put back together.

After lunch I'll pull the bump with my wife's help. Then start the work on that harness.

OP
OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sorry I’m on a ski lift. Pull out 90 degrees from the side. You just have to get the edge out to the side then then you can start pulling forward.

andcyeah it’s scary! Just firm consistent pressure. I should have taken a pic of how it clips over the edge.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The winch install is almost complete. Just need to put the synthetic line on. I splice wire into the the proximity sensors, soldered it, with heat shrink over it. Also put it in corrugated last tube like factory. Everything is working. Did it by my self and took my time, about 10 hours over 2 days. I was going slow to make sure I didn't damage anything or forget to install something. I took before and after height measurements at front fender flairs. Drop was slightly less than 1/4" with all the additional weight.

Ford Bronco Winch solutions for your Raptor IMG_2679

Ford Bronco Winch solutions for your Raptor IMG_2680

Ford Bronco Winch solutions for your Raptor IMG_2681

Finbox

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KLR650
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Looks good, do you think the camera could be mounted to the Control box where the “W” logo is located?
Sponsored