Sponsored

Yakima Lock and Load rack question - how does it attach ?

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

1. If we order the Lock and Load rack from the B&P - does it have to be at order time if we want delivery at the same time?

2. Does anyone know how the lock and load rack attaches to the Bronco roof rack rails? In other words, can I just buy the rack separately and have it attach to my roof rails on day one? or are there special adapters? After market the same rack is 700 - but just curious how it supposed to attach.

3. on B&P - that rack is 1000+ for the large - does that price include the regular roof rack that comes on the Bronco plus the Lock and Load - or is that just the price of the Lock and Load ?

@Zach@Granger @DealerInsider -cc'd you guys in case you knew - since this deals with "should I order it now, or can I order later after I do more research or more info comes out?"

Ford Bronco Yakima Lock and Load rack question  - how does it attach ? 1616180397967
Sponsored

OP
OP
Broncolli

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

ok maybe I can answer my own question - the Lock and Load looks like it can attach to factory crossbars - so I guess I am ordering aftermarket since we are getting crossbars

Ford Bronco Yakima Lock and Load rack question  - how does it attach ? 1616182491694

Ford Bronco Yakima Lock and Load rack question  - how does it attach ? 1616182680944

OP
OP
Broncolli

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

1st, this is good info to share, my question is does anything feel more like a Friday then talking to yourself directly in a chatroom? man these things need to get here soon

Sometimes it is good to speak to someone intelligent -

here is a good shot of the clamps Yakima offers - easier than what is shown in instructions.

Now just o figure out the size of the rack.

Ford Bronco Yakima Lock and Load rack question  - how does it attach ? 1616186914096

Last edited:

Glove_fits

Black Diamond
First Name
SLMW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M2, M3, 2 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
On the install diagram it shows the rack securing to the front and rear crossbar while skipping the middle, if I am interpreting that correctly.

A notable implication for those that do not want to run the front crossbar. Shorter racks should be available after market for those that want to keep the area on top of the front panel more open.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IIRC the larger Lock N Load from Ford has mounts that attach to the roof rails and the smaller one has mounts that attach to the crossbars. I'm not sure if this is because of fitment or stability.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Either way you are limited to 110 lbs dynamic. That will add up quick - considering that platform is probably 40-50 lbs itself?

OP
OP
Broncolli

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Either way you are limited to 110 lbs dynamic. That will add up quick - considering that platform is probably 40-50 lbs itself?
Ugh ....good point. I was hoping to use the roof rack for making up some of the lack of space inside. also then a 60 lb kayak or canoe would tip this puppy over the dynamic load limit. A 30 lb bike and a 60 lb canoe plus a 40 lb rack will flip this truck like a quarter before a football game.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ugh ....good point. I was hoping to use the roof rack for making up some of the lack of space inside. also then a 60 lb kayak or canoe would tip this puppy over the dynamic load limit. A 30 lb bike and a 60 lb canoe plus a 40 lb rack will flip this truck like a quarter before a football game.
I honestly haven’t seen any clarification on this. If your allowed the 110 lb additionally after adding a platform - that’s not the end of the world.
But, personally - I removed the Ford rack/rails from my order and figure by next summer there will be options from Front Runner, Gobi, Rhino, Prinsu...

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I honestly haven’t seen any clarification on this. If your allowed the 110 lb additionally after adding a platform - that’s not the end of the world.
But, personally - I removed the Ford rack/rails from my order and figure by next summer there will be options from Front Runner, Gobi, Rhino, Prinsu...
It's 110 before you add the platform

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's 110 before you add the platform
Assumed so, but figured platform adds some stability and even weight distribution.
Is it stated what the capacity is with platform or just do the math?

ChillyChill08

Outer Banks
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost PP
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That’s one hell of an expensive investment for 50-60 lb capacity.
argh….. we just bought a 21’ 2DR BigBend SAS off the lot with this system and that is not something we considered…. There goes a large chunk of cash that is almost useless…..
Sponsored