Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wow good thing you have the washout interior! Just glad everyone is ok only your pride is damaged.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I heard about this on S.FL Broncos notifications. There was a uproar about people making fun of what happened to the vehicle. I have not had a chance to read thru it because rarely do I get on FB. I see now it was your misfortune.

vehicles can be replaced. Lives cannot. I know what happened sucks, but I am happy you and your fur baby are ok. That's what is important here. Also, these modern engines are a marvel. Maybe, just maybe it can be ok ? If nothing else, with no body damage, a new 2.3 or 2.7 can be dropped in.
A new motor wouldn't hurt... But the electrics. I don't think Ford or the insurance company are going to be interested in repairing it.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A new motor wouldn't hurt... But the electrics. I don't think Ford or the insurance company are going to be interested in repairing it.
Yep, cost to fix would be higher than to replace. There is a percentage threshold they use to total it. I would start shopping around if you are looking to replace it.

scotman623

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy LT Trail boss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad you are okay my friend!! I have not been on FB or any social media crap in over 10 months!!! way to much drama for me.. Love this forum, about the only thing I follow besides a few off road clubs I go with.. Best wishes on your next vehicle 👍

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a minute, I can add to the story. The situation with the truck was just the beginning.

There was cottagers 1km up the road... They were planning on leaving the following day. If they weren't there, it was likely a 20k hike out. Very little traffic comes down there.
I fact, all we saw were people coming to help and look.
I also have to mention just how buggy it was. If you were unprotected, you were CONSTANTLY being harassed and biten by horse and deer flies and mosquitos.
Not to mention the near 100% humidity and sweltering temps.

At the cottage, they had no electricity... Gravity fed water pumped from the lake, and out house and that's about it.

Cell signal was only possible by walking down from the cottage to the lake and holding your phone a certain way. And while you did so, you were a sitting duck with the bugs!

All I had was my dog, my cell phone, and a pair of shorts and a t shirt that I had already been wearing for a full day.

I only managed to check msg's every hour or so, while also charging my phone in their pickup truck in between.

The extreme generosity and caring of Nipper and Joanne, the cottagers can't be under stated. But the situation I put them in was horrible.

We took his pickup down to have a look at my Bronco, on the way back he lost 4 low and got stuck.

We hiked back up to get his tracked vehicle. He dumped in gas and started down, only to have probably a liter or more of water pumped into the engine.

We drained out the water and continued. Managed to level the truck so it wouldn't roll, but because of a stuck throttle, a shift into reverse drove the hitch receiver on this thing into the tailgate, opening it like a pop can.

On the way back up, the shifter broke and we couldn't get it into low gear. Another repair on the side of the road and we made it back after severely overheating it.

I didn't sleep a wink that night... Severely dehydrated, no appetite and no idea...

It wasn't until the middle of the night that it occurred to me about the FB recovery groups. Stupid of me 😔

Eventually it was JF Dupris who got a hold of me and arranged everything... Grabbing gear, organizing other vehicles, etc.
And all of this after a 12 hrs shift of work, he finished a 5pm and they headed out for the 2.5 hrs drive.

They arrived in the dark and he immediately wanted to go have a look at the situation 😲

He went so far as to climb into the truck, waist deep in murky water to at least disconnect the shift interlock (out of habit, I put it in park before shutting it off 😔)

He also swam around, checking to see if anything was holding or blocking the Bronco. Simply amazing...

Nipper and Joanne had a fire going and the group sat around having a few drinks and enjoying the beautiful area before getting started at work the following day.

I was simply too exhausted, mentally and physically at this point and just crashed on the couch when we got back.

You'll not want to miss the vids on my channel when I get there.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, cost to fix would be higher than to replace. There is a percentage threshold they use to total it. I would start shopping around if you are looking to replace it.
Apparently a 2021 two door Badlands is selling for more than what mine cost new. So basically, they're a unicorn. Might be easier just to order one and wait.
A used 4 door is far more reasonable.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I saw this on Bookface as well...glad you are ok! Oddly enough I have gotten a few running after situations like this and the motor will probably be ok. #1...do not attempt to start it under any circumstances. #2 remove all spark plugs. #3 drain all fluids and leave the vehicle sit overnight in a dry place. #4 refill all fluids. #5 crank engine over w/plugs removed (if possible, if not possible, you may now go about diagnosing and repairing why the engine will not crank). #6 only then attempt to start the vehicle (will likely be a little difficult, and if it does start will smoke like crazy for a bit...don't panic)...just saying if you wana try and buy it back from insurance. Even if you don't you could do the next guy a favor and pull the plugs...if it goes to insurance auction those numbskulls will for sure try to crank it and bend a rod! Man what a story! Glad you are ok!

Last edited:

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow... That's pretty pathetic. Don't they moderate?
So I have a 2 year old Bronco. So that means I don't drive to places unless it's a POS or something?
When I hear "Overlanding USA" I think flat, dry desert, KOA's and RV parks with 32' fifth wheels or full size, 700hp pickup trucks 🤷
No offence to my US neighbours of course.
There's a reason living in Ontario and driving these areas, you keep it light and compact 🤷
Agreed

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In this case you can’t guarantee modules/wiring…
We flood regular enough in the south

we total them

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Apparently a 2021 two door Badlands is selling for more than what mine cost new. So basically, they're a unicorn. Might be easier just to order one and wait.
A used 4 door is far more reasonable.
With the yearly price increases it makes you cringe how much more Broncos cost now. I still think it's cheaper to buy new as used is not saving you anything.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With the yearly price increases it makes you cringe how much more Broncos cost now. I still think it's cheaper to buy new as used is not saving you anything.
Just looked on Ford.ca
My original build is now $12,000 more than it was in 2021 😵💫

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just looked on Ford.ca
My original build is now $12,000 more than it was in 2021 😵💫
Better to pay sticker on an abandoned ordered if you can find it. Might luck out on a lower window sticker.

Eroc88

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow that sucks dude. All that matters is that everyone is ok.

br.jonathan

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I won't go thru the whole ordeal here, now...

I simply have way too much in my plate right now but I'll follow up at some point.
Was on a week long, 800km tour thru Quebec when this happened crossing a wooden bridge.

As beat as I can tell, a beam broke off the bridge under the front passenger wheel.

Then the rear come off and slid over the side.

I finally arrived home, last night after the Bronco sat in the water for 3 days.

An incredible group of guys came up from outside Ottawa to do the recovery. Took 3 vehicles and a LOT of rigging and problem solving to get it out safely and without damage.

Updated with more details:

I have a minute, I can add to the story. The situation with the truck was just the beginning.

There was cottagers 1km up the road... They were planning on leaving the following day. If they weren't there, it was likely a 20k hike out. Very little traffic comes down there.

I fact, all we saw were people coming to help and look.

I also have to mention just how buggy it was. If you were unprotected, you were CONSTANTLY being harassed and biten by horse and deer flies and mosquitos.

Not to mention the near 100% humidity and sweltering temps.

At the cottage, they had no electricity... Gravity fed water pumped from the lake, and out house and that's about it.

Cell signal was only possible by walking down from the cottage to the lake and holding your phone a certain way. And while you did so, you were a sitting duck with the bugs!

All I had was my dog, my cell phone, and a pair of shorts and a t shirt that I had already been wearing for a full day.

I only managed to check msg's every hour or so, while also charging my phone in their pickup truck in between.

The extreme generosity and caring of Nipper and Joanne, the cottagers can't be under stated. But the situation I put them in was horrible.

We took his pickup down to have a look at my Bronco, on the way back he lost 4 low and got stuck.

We hiked back up to get his tracked vehicle. He dumped in gas and started down, only to have probably a liter or more of water pumped into the engine.

We drained out the water and continued. Managed to level the truck so it wouldn't roll, but because of a stuck throttle, a shift into reverse drove the hitch receiver on this thing into the tailgate, opening it like a pop can.

On the way back up, the shifter broke and we couldn't get it into low gear. Another repair on the side of the road and we made it back after severely overheating it.

I didn't sleep a wink that night... Severely dehydrated, no appetite and no idea...

It wasn't until the middle of the night that it occurred to me about the FB recovery groups. Stupid of me 😔

Eventually it was JF Dupris who got a hold of me and arranged everything... Grabbing gear, organizing other vehicles, etc.
And all of this after a 12 hrs shift of work, he finished a 5pm and they headed out for the 2.5 hrs drive.

They arrived in the dark and he immediately wanted to go have a look at the situation 😲

He went so far as to climb into the truck, waist deep in murky water to at least disconnect the shift interlock (out of habit, I put it in park before shutting it off 😔)

He also swam around, checking to see if anything was holding or blocking the Bronco. Simply amazing...

Nipper and Joanne had a fire going and the group sat around having a few drinks and enjoying the beautiful area before getting started at work the following day.

I was simply too exhausted, mentally and physically at this point and just crashed on the couch when we got back.

You'll not want to miss the vids on my channel when I get there.

IMG_20230708_163725_415.jpg

J. F. Dubris, the guy in the water, was the master recoverer here...

Simply went all out, no short cuts, no fear (multiple leech attacks!), no damage and did it right.

You all will have to make sure to catch the vid on my channel when I release it.

20230707_114613.jpg

VIDEO:

Glad you are safe and to see the offroad community is willing to help out there. Hope you get your Bronco back (or a new one) and go back to the trails soon.

Your experience makes me think to use the buddy system when going out there.

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad you are safe and to see the offroad community is willing to help out there. Hope you get your Bronco back (or a new one) and go back to the trails soon.

Your experience makes me think to use the buddy system when going out there.
They call me the Lonely Overlander 🤘🏻
Sponsored