Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, from the factory the 2.7 in the F150 runs rings around the 5.0. The only way to make it out perform the 2.7 is to supercharge it. I have all three F150 engines in F150s and they’re all great but the only thing the coyote has over the eco-boosts is the great V8 sound. Both eco-boosts outperform the 5.0 in every performance category, especially towing.
Ive seen F150s with the 2.7 make over 500whp with bolt ons and tune. Ive seen 2.3 mustangs and rangers making 400. The only real advantage to a coyote is the sound and bragging rights.
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Although I do not have an issue with the 2.7 in my Squatch, I will say that it is very lazy in the first two gears. It seems to come alive after that. Once someone cracks the ECM I'm sure that will be fixed but then you have to think of the transmission longevity.

Another point I would like to bring up is that I realize most know of the 5.0 but I feel the better engine suited to the Bronc is the Godzilla. 7.3 liters, bored and stroked 351 Windsor, WAAAAAAAY more torque than a OHC, high RPM 5.0, at a lot lower RPM. Made for the RV and Super Duty market. Gets single digit gas mileage but I would take that off idle torque any day. Also the 7.3 is a much smaller package. By that I mean it does not have those huge DOHC heads on top of it. It is the size of a conventional, old school, V-8.

Just my 2 cents. :)

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco® The Sasquatch™ 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Coyote engine weighs as much as the 2.7 EcoBoost, and the MPG numbers are almost identical. Even though the 2.7 has slightly more torque compared to the 5.0 Coyote, I would trade those extra lbs-ft's for the NA V8 sound in a heartbeat.

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Coyote engine weighs as much as the 2.7 EcoBoost, and the MPG numbers are almost identical. Even though the 2.7 has slightly more torque compared to the 5.0 Coyote, I would trade those extra lbs-ft's for the NA V8 sound in a heartbeat.
Plus throw on a supercharger and fuggedaboutit

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Grab some mods, and get a tune. The 2.7 wakes right the bloody hell up.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Although I do not have an issue with the 2.7 in my Squatch, I will say that it is very lazy in the first two gears. It seems to come alive after that. Once someone cracks the ECM I'm sure that will be fixed but then you have to think of the transmission longevity.

Another point I would like to bring up is that I realize most know of the 5.0 but I feel the better engine suited to the Bronc is the Godzilla. 7.3 liters, bored and stroked 351 Windsor, WAAAAAAAY more torque than a OHC, high RPM 5.0, at a lot lower RPM. Made for the RV and Super Duty market. Gets single digit gas mileage but I would take that off idle torque any day. Also the 7.3 is a much smaller package. By that I mean it does not have those huge DOHC heads on top of it. It is the size of a conventional, old school, V-8.

Just my 2 cents. :)
You will never convince the "gazillian HP on paper" crowd that intense throttle response matters to some. You can get it with either a big NA engine, or a TVS'd "smaller" engine (or hybrids, but not my thing, yet). Not going to get it from a straight turbo motor, no matter what you do (well, maybe electric turbos, but cylinder pressures @ low RPM's would probably blow it up then).

Fly

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah, from the factory the 2.7 in the F150 runs rings around the 5.0. The only way to make it out perform the 2.7 is to supercharge it. I have all three F150 engines in F150s and they’re all great but the only thing the coyote has over the eco-boosts is the great V8 sound. Both eco-boosts outperform the 5.0 in every performance category, especially towing.
Towing in a Bronco shouldn't be a factor, but why not offer several engine choices? 2.3L on the BB, 2.3/2.7 on mid tier BD/OBX, 2.7/5.0 on higher end BL/WT/HE, and supercharged 5.0 in the BRaptor.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Still no replacement for displacement, not to mention wont sound the same
Until you get on the trails and realize you need that low-end torq. CONTROLLABLE low-end tq. I have been on the trails with a 5.0 and a 2.7, and the 2.7 has way more control down low.

The Bronco is not a race car. A SC 5.0 in a Bronco would be good at one thing. running in the desert. A DR. Oh wait? There is a 5.0 in the Ford DR. Yes, nothing replaces the V8 sound for sure, but as I tell others when I come out in my Gt500 or my 68 GTA, "loud does not equate to fast"

Sponsored

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ive seen F150s with the 2.7 make over 500whp with bolt ons and tune. Ive seen 2.3 mustangs and rangers making 400. The only real advantage to a coyote is the sound and bragging rights.
Towing in a Bronco shouldn't be a factor, but why not offer several engine choices? 2.3L on the BB, 2.3/2.7 on mid tier BD/OBX, 2.7/5.0 on higher end BL/WT/HE, and supercharged 5.0 in the BRaptor.
The only reason I wanted a bronco was because I always loved the first generation bronco. So, even though the performance would not match the 2.7, if the 5.0 was available, that’s what I would order because I love the sound of a V-8. The 2.7 is also significantly quicker to 60 mph than the 5.0 which shouldn’t matter but it just goes to show you how much performance improvement you get going from the 5.0 to the 2.7.

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sounds like there's a lot of people who really like the idea of a small boosted engine. We'll see what the cost of ownership is for the ecoboost vs the coyote come 200k miles.......250k...etc
For low speed trails or mud the low end torque of a V8 is perfect. Doesn't anyone find it odd that if the ecoboost was the everything engine that they put the coyote on their bronco R racing platform??

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Because honestly the 5.0 is not a great engine for this application. Ford's mod motors have to be wound up to get power out of them. Great for the mustang, just eh for the F-150. Almost everyone I know that has had both engines in the F-150 and uses them for truck stuff prefers the ecoboost family. The coyote just has no low end grunt. Even in F-150 configuration, it doesn't make peak torque until over 4K RPM. Don't get me wrong, I love V-8s. The coyote is a good V8 for the mustang. It's an ok V8 for the F-150. I think in the bronco it would be just the wrong tool for the job.

Reason they put it in the DR is because that thing is built for high speed runs.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ooooooo, look at all that torque at a mere 1500 rpm. 7.3 is were its at.

Ford Bronco Update: Supercharged V8 5.0 Coyote Engine Swap into Ford Bronco by No Traction Faction 1707341254394

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Because honestly the 5.0 is not a great engine for this application. Ford's mod motors have to be wound up to get power out of them. Great for the mustang, just eh for the F-150. Almost everyone I know that has had both engines in the F-150 and uses them for truck stuff prefers the ecoboost family. The coyote just has no low end grunt. Even in F-150 configuration, it doesn't make peak torque until over 4K RPM. Don't get me wrong, I love V-8s. The coyote is a good V8 for the mustang. It's an ok V8 for the F-150. I think in the bronco it would be just the wrong tool for the job.

Reason they put it in the DR is because that thing is built for high speed runs.
Given that I have both (a F-150 3.5 Ecoboost and a 5.0 V8) the Ecoboost is the stronger stock motor, but the V8 gets the nod on the sound and the fuel economy. However, adding a supercharger to the 5.0 can instantly change the equation.

Stock, I actually love the V8 when I am not towing in my F-150 and it's no slouch even when towing. It's just second best compared to the 3.5 Ecoboost.

In the Bronco, the 5.0 would be a hoot. It would be better in some regards and not so much in other regards. I would be equally enthusiastic to see either a 3.5 Ecoboost or the 5.0 V8 in the Bronco, but the next engine really should be a 2.7 Powerboost.
Sponsored