First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I picked up my 2022 4D Badlands a week ago. I ordered the Curt hitch from etrailer, and made the mistake of assuming (I know) the 2021 kit would fit. The bolts are too long to insert between the muffler and the hitch/frame. I can get the furthest passenger side bolt in at an angle, but then it bottoms out against the bumper frame.

Before I send it all back to etrailer, has anyone run into this and had success with shorter bolts?

Everything else lines up, and there's a review on Curt's website that says the bolts are 1/2" too long, so I'm wondering if they had the same issue. I'm just using it for a bike rack, not towing.
Sponsored

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I picked up my 2022 4D Badlands a week ago. I ordered the Curt hitch from etrailer, and made the mistake of assuming (I know) the 2021 kit would fit. The bolts are too long to insert between the muffler and the hitch/frame. I can get the furthest passenger side bolt in at an angle, but then it bottoms out against the bumper frame.

Before I send it all back to etrailer, has anyone run into this and had success with shorter bolts?

Everything else lines up, and there's a review on Curt's website that says the bolts are 1/2" too long, so I'm wondering if they had the same issue. I'm just using it for a bike rack, not towing.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Denny @Denny3297 just installed his Curt hitch on his 2022 Badlands a couple days ago and had no problems. See below:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/self-made-diy-tow-package-if-7-pin-not-needed.35737/

Denny3297

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acadia, Ranger, Fusion, E450 motorhome, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Laidbackduner

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had the same issue, I used washers on the bolt side to space it out so it didnā€™t touch on the opposite side.

Sponsored

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the same issue, I used washers on the bolt side to space it out so it didnā€™t touch on the opposite side.
I think he is suggesting he can't even get the bolts in the holes between the muffler and the hitch because of the cramped nature caused by the muffler. Not that the bolts are hitting the bumper once in.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Chase do you have the 2.7 or the 2.3?

Kmcran

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would try unbolting one if not both exhaust hangers and see if you can flex it out of the way enough to get the bolts in. Mine is a 21 but I didnt have any trouble getting the bolts in.

OP
OP
BadlandsMugs

BadlandsMugs

Badlands
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Itā€™s a 2.3. I could add spacers easily, but yes, no clearance to insert the bolts.

Iā€™m going to get shorter bolts tomorrow and see if they clear.

Midlife Crisis

Badlands
First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing my 86 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why not take the bumper off and install the bolts from the back to the front instead of using extra washers?

Sponsored

nic

Badlands
First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW, itā€™s a super tight fit on the ā€˜21 too. I would think itā€™s the same sizing for ā€˜22. You have to go in at an angle just jiggle the bolt until it slides a portion of the way in.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW, itā€™s a super tight fit on the ā€˜21 too. I would think itā€™s the same sizing for ā€˜22. You have to go in at an angle just jiggle the bolt until it slides a portion of the way in.
Nic, are you also a 2.3L, I'm wondering if that is the tight fight issue, 2.3 v.s. 2.7.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yah. 2.3 Badlands non-squatched.
Roger that, that's what I have coming (Squatched), but if you got it done then I will be able to as well. Thanks.

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ā€˜75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Muffler has a bunch of play in it if you push/pull/yank on it. You maybe able to get them in that way. Bumper removal is also super easy. The bolts are too long though, they need to update their kit.

I did the bumper removal to save a trip to the hardware store. Check it out.
Sponsored