Sponsored

Bronco R Race Prototype Revealed for Baja 1000!

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There is not a jeep on the planet that can keep up with a sidebyside in basically any trail condition (other than some specific rock configuration), let alone stock so lets use realistic comparisons here!

Also, its not an FJ, the 14" of travel is indicative of using production hardpoints. That's 6 inches more than the Colorado zr2. I think you will be surprised. i'll gladly pass you on the trail while you guys are climbing eachothers tires lolol.
Not sure what jeeps you've been around, but I can tell you my long armed cherokee will absolutely go where my canam x rc will go... and much further. My rubicon was not even a contest against the x rc, even stock, let alone when it had a minor lift and 37s on it... The maverick x rc is one of the better side by sides for rock crawling too, most of the others are handicapped by trailing arms that bang around the rocks...

coincidentally, the X RC also has 14" of wheel travel... but it's a 64" side by side not a 90" hummer wheelbase trophy truck.

I passed jeeps on the trial in my 87 diesel pickup (and none of us could touch the side by sides that acted basically like hovercraft lol), so being a trail tampon is a lot more about the driver than the rig lol. i'd love to wheel with you, but are we talking stock rigs? Give me a couple years and my Bronco will be half way to looking like this R anyway...
So your rock crawling experience is an 89 idi full size truck, and whatever jeeps that managed to pass...

Not sure if you could tell, but we're not talking of Renegades an Grand Cherokees...
Sponsored

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Notice at 6:40 he makes it a point to mention the rear solid axle “5 point rear suspension” is going to be the same as the production model..
Then, at 7:00 when they work to the front of it he mentions TWICE that “IN THIS CASE” it has IFS up front.
Dudes, this really makes me think we are getting a solid axle. His body launguage and the fact that he skirted the front suspension topic makes me think that.
It's definitely interesting. That was a key choice of words there and they are being very carful on what they say. You would think they would hype this IFS. I don't know if Ford has solid axles up its sleeves but I think they have something more catered to trails coming.

I noticed how the dash looks straight up and down and the top of the dash looks almost identical to the EB's. Of course this is a race truck but I am hopeful the actual Broncos dash will be modeled after the EB's.

At any rate. People need to relax a bit. This is by no means any type of final product. I don't know why people are freaking out over a purpose built race truck. It's just to give us a glimpse of what the Bronco is going to look like and they are only testing/showcasing the frame and drivetrain. It's mostly a big PR stunt. But it's pretty damn cool if you ask me. The internet never fails to show that you can't please everyone no matter what.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure what jeeps you've been around, but I can tell you my long armed cherokee will absolutely go where my canam x rc will go... and much further. My rubicon was not even a contest against the x rc, even stock, let alone when it had a minor lift and 37s on it... The maverick x rc is one of the better side by sides for rock crawling too, most of the others are handicapped by trailing arms that bang around the rocks...

coincidentally, the X RC also has 14" of wheel travel... but it's a 64" side by side not a 90" hummer wheelbase trophy truck.

So your rock crawling experience is an 89 idi full size truck, and whatever jeeps that managed to pass...

Not sure if you could tell, but we're not talking of Renegades an Grand Cherokees...
Do you normally read out of context? or just today? First of all, its an 87, second of all it wasn't even rock crawling, I was simply making a point that what you drive doesn't make you a trail tampon, its the driver.

3, I do not need to explain to you in detail the 100's of reasons a side by side will get more travel per track width than a full size vehicle. I am sure you already know exactly why.
4, To be fair, I did mention "Stock" for a reason, but more importantly I said the exception would be "other than some specific rock configuration" CONGRATULATIONS, you found one. I don't believe for a second that you don't get passed on the trail all day by side by sides thinking to yourself, jeez I wonder if I should have driven that today? Then you remember you enjoy the challenge of driving a proper rig off road, don't need a helmet, and you get to drive it home!

Last edited:

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... It's just to give us a glimpse of what the Bronco is going to look like and they are only testing/showcasing the frame and drivetrain. It's mostly a big PR stunt.. . . .
Exactly. The timing, a day before SEMA, is no accident. Ford is wielding the Bronco name in headlines like a weapon.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
While understanding sometimes photos don't do justice in terms of trail difficulty, I'd say there is a range of off-road driving, in between that shot of your truck on a fairly low obstacle trail, and people driving over refrigerator sized boulders. People take new JLs rock crawling. You can see any number of videos on YouTube of people rock crawling, driving up and down rocky ledges and encountering other obstacles in their vehicles. My hope is the new Bronco is designed to excel in that stuff.

Not sure if the following video link will post correctly. Not my video, but I was on this same Moab Rim trail a while back, and at that spot where the Jeep comes close to rolling, a buddy broke an axle shaft in his Land Rover. We had to winch him up, just so he could turn around, because backing up was getting dicey. And believe me, you don't want to roll over that edge because it's a long drop, lol. Anyway, I give this just as an example of something above what you were probably doing in your loaded full sized truck, but below the kitted out custom rigs.

I don't think your going to be too disappointed. I have a few friends at Ford one of which had alot to do with the Bronco during the advanced stages of development. The JK and now JL/T was/are the benchmark, figuratively and literally. At the very least it will be a Ranger with better approach/departure angles and likely a better tire offering wrapped in an attractive Bronco skin. Looking at all the patent filings suggest they are taking the program pretty seriously; after all Ford makes its money in Truck based vehicles.

So if nothing else The Bronco will be launching with a copy and paste Ranger FX4 package. 2.3T, 10R80, Chain driven 2sp T case, rear Locker. With the likely aggressive tire offerings it will make for an overall very capable vehicle, especially in a 2dr wheel base.

What will be interested to see is if the front dif gets a Torsen, and sway bar disconnects. I don't see it getting a solid axle, but swapping out frame module sections isn't that hard either, they do it with Raptors, and the SCAB trucks are a unique frame configuration as that bed and cab offering isn't available in the regular line up.

The most technical thing we did on out trip was skirting the top of a severely overgrown ridge line trail in Lewis and Clark national forest. There was a relatively sharp left hand off chamber turn; 19 degree down, 17 degree offset, on sharp pebble to cobble sized stone that liked to shift around every know and again. If we rolled up there, I would have just lit my truck on fire and said it was stolen. The biggest issue with my truck is wheelbase and break over angle. Within 15 minutes of working our way through the outskirts of the Wind River range I dented the door in some weird Goonies like One Eyed Willie series of branch traps...

Overall all that pig of a truck did really well, so it gives me sense of confidence that the Bronco will be able to wheel harder than most people will be willing to push it.

Sponsored

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because Ford said they were going to build a no-compromise off-roader. Sorry but a Bronco top hat on a Ranger chassis doesn’t meet that definition for me like it does for you flatlanders.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Because Ford said they were going to build a no-compromise off-roader. Sorry but a Bronco top hat on a Ranger chassis doesn’t meet that definition for me like it does for you flatlanders.
"Bronco will be a no-compromise midsize 4x4 utility for thrill seekers who want to venture way beyond the city... Ranger is for truck buyers who want an affordable, functional, rugged and maneuverable pickup that’s Built Ford Tough"

That's not technically what they said. Utility implies a much broader set of functional objectives for the vehicle program to meet.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is no such thing as a no-compromise offroader. I get why you are upset, but the JL is in fact a compromised off roader for a number of use cases. Doesn't change the fact that it is the best on the market right now (overall). And something doesn't have to be a jeep clone to unseat it either. Can we not just wait and see the options and capability at launch? Such as tire sizes that are able to fit STOCK? or after fenders are removed? Locker/LS's/Disconnects etc. If you are using bigger than 37's you are probably not on stock SFA anymore so the whole equation changes, It is seriously not that hard to swap out arms and lift cradles either. Just sit on your hands for a moment an imagine a Bronco that succeeds without being a reskinned JL

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Using the image below, I was able to measure a wheel base of 118.5" on the Bronco R which is nearly identical to the 4 door JL. Despite what is certainly a 4 door wheel base, I measured about a foot of frame rail sticking past the rear of the Bronco R body. I think my theory of this being a U725 Ranger Raptor chassis is starting to hold water…

Ford-Bronco-R-Race-Prototype-29.jpg
I am pretty sure Ranger Raptors are in the vicinity of Roush as well.

PNW_Bronco94

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We've known it's going to be a Bronco top hat sharing a Ranger chassis for *years* and you're still bitching about it? God, the dick waving around here is insufferable.

Sponsored

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We've known it's going to be a Bronco top hat sharing a Ranger chassis for *years* and you're still bitching about it? God, the dick waving around here is insufferable.
Yeah but we didn’t know that it would use the same unimaginative, street biased IFS. The BroncoR doesn’t exactly confirm this, but I’d say it’s a very strong indication of what’s to come.

As much as I am a proponent of a solid axle, I would have been ecstatic to see some innovation in regards to the IFS.

Last edited:

PAPA old school

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 bronco. 2018 chevy z71
Your Bronco Model
Base
info about the ecoboost engines , that going to be my problem, gate valves and lack of using boost.
Sponsored