Sponsored

Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hard to tell in picture, but does the flat black color match well to the cargo panels or would you recommend a charcoal gray. I know it will not be perfect either way, but hoping to get close in color. Rather use it for touch up then paint the entire back.
It actually matched really well. Better than I expected. I am certain that any kind of charcoal gray will be to light.
Sponsored

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2015 Pilot, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Man, I like these.
one question though is I am looking to have a hard top and a soft top. why are they top specific?

83XLT

Big Bend
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 EG Big Bend 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Man, I like these.
one question though is I am looking to have a hard top and a soft top. why are they top specific?
I actually installed these last night on my hard top. It mounts to your bronco in 4 places. If you have a hard top, there is nothing to bolt the top front part of the molle panels to. It's still pretty sturdy.

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2015 Pilot, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I actually installed these last night on my hard top. It mounts to your bronco in 4 places. If you have a hard top, there is nothing to bolt the top front part of the molle panels to. It's still pretty sturdy.
thanks for the clarification

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm just glad others have noticed the truck area scratching so easily. It drives me nuts. I have a 2016 Pilot and have jammed tons of stuff in there over the years and there isn't a single scratch. I put a cooler in the Bronco trunk and after a 30 mile ride on the freeway it had rubbed a few scratches into the truck plastic. A cooler! During a ride on the highway! Killing me, Ford...

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm just glad others have noticed the truck area scratching so easily. It drives me nuts. I have a 2016 Pilot and have jammed tons of stuff in there over the years and there isn't a single scratch. I put a cooler in the Bronco truck and after a 30 mile ride on the freeway it had rubbed a few scratches into the truck plastic. A cooler! During a ride on the highway! Killing me, Ford...
I agree, I got scratches pretty bad the first week I owned it when I bought a large screen TV and put in the back. Obviously the box is made out of cardboard and somehow that put some major scratches. I just don't understand it.

AZSky

Heritage
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heritage, Mach E, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Would the paint only give enough scratch protection ?

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would the paint only give enough scratch protection ?
No, I doubt that unless you put clear coat on it but then you are dealing with a partially flexible surface and I don't know enough about clear coat to say that would really seal it but not crack.

Maybe you could try another option I thought of as an alternate. If you really want to protect that cargo area, you could buy one of those dog protector liners to use when you are loading stuff and then can remove that when just normal day to day operations. That should protect it when you have stuff back there that could scratch it. Heck, even lining it with old blankets would work in a pinch. I did look for other fabric or alternate cover liners that are cut to match the panel lines for a more permanent install but the only thing I could find is only available for the back of the seats; not the side panels.

JMY217

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks Sas/Lux/Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Where are you getting your different mounts from?

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where are you getting your different mounts from?
Is this to me? What do you mean by mounts? The accessories that connect to Molle? All from Amazon. You can type Molle accessories or something similar and spend hours looking?

Sponsored

JMY217

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks Sas/Lux/Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is this to me? What do you mean by mounts? The accessories that connect to Molle? All from Amazon. You can type Molle accessories or something similar and spend hours looking?
My bad, was definitely to you 😂 Thanks for the response 👍

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Don’t you get a clang clang sound if you have all that stuff hanging on the panel?

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don’t you get a clang clang sound if you have all that stuff hanging on the panel?
No, its quieter now then when I first put in the creaky rear Ford Accs table with nothing on it. It took some work but I quieted it down. There are a ton of vids out there on how to make the Ford table quiet. Believe me, I don't like hearing "clanks"either so I would take these down if it did it. Most of the Molle items are velcro/fabric or bolted on tight and can't "creak". The Molle Panels themselves are on very tight at several key junctions. The only creaks I get are from the soft top hardware now.

I will putting this to the real test in a couple of hours. Meeting a convoy of Broncos for Uwharrie for the day.

Here is how it looks now:

Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them 20221007_174932_resized

Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them 20221007_175039_resized

Hockey13

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can you show a close up of the seatbelt attach point? I tried to install mine but the seatbelt point seemed off. If I put the rack between the seatbelt and body, it ses to squish the plastic paneling pretty bad. I didn't even torque it back to spec. I tried putting blot>belt>panel>spacer>collar>body but when tightening, it prevented the seatbelt from pivoting. I ended up leaving the upper panels off. Any guidance and tips are greatly appreciated. 🙂

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Realizing I might have a tendency towards too many molle panels I promised myself I wasn’t going to be “That Guy.” Black Diamond for the seat backs, perhaps some door pockets, and front passenger console should do it without over doing it. What’s that?! The rear panels protect the cargo area from scratches? Shit.
Sponsored