Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Has anyone found anything that works to chill out on the rocks thrown by the Raptor tires? It's startling going down the highway and hearing one rip off the side rails or wheel well. My kids call them "fireworks" every time because they're so loud.

I've got about 1600 miles in and the inevitable finally happened today- one flew right out and smashed my door at 65mph and gave me a nice gash, eating right through the ceramic coating and the paint. I'll be honest- I love this car but I don't think I'll be able to keep it at this rate. Spending 85k+ on a car that sounds like someone is throwing a bucket of rocks at it every time I get in it is way too stressful and sets the mood for every drive.

I don't expect to avoid all rock chips forever but this is pretty deep and high up for such low mileage if this is what I have to expect for the rest of my drives.

Ford Bronco Rock throwing - Raptor 20230313_160034
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Krieger

Krieger

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Mud flaps. I ordered mine the day I bought it after reading the posts here and hearing a few hits on my way home.
Thanks! Do you have a link to what you used and any pics? Any issues since?

sklnbnzaz

Badlands
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mud Flaps - RokBlokz is what we bought. They're expensive, however, they have worked GREAT... tons of trails here in AZ and we still do not have a rock chip on the bronco from a rock throw. They can be easily removed on the trail and put back on before the highway if you need the clearance.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Get some sort of step set up that helps shield the body. It was my first mod based on feedback here and since I offroad this on gravel drives regularly.

The Squatch 35" Goodyears were known rock throwers, I guess you are indicating that so are the Raptor tires.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Krieger

Krieger

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Mud Flaps - RokBlokz is what we bought. They're expensive, however, they have worked GREAT... tons of trails here in AZ and we still do not have a rock chip on the bronco from a rock throw. They can be easily removed on the trail and put back on before the highway if you need the clearance.
Should probably have specified it in the title/post but this is for the Raptor. The factory flaps don't stop much. Doesn't look like RokBlokz has Raptor flaps yet.

OP
OP
Krieger

Krieger

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Get some sort of step set up that helps shield the body. It was my first mod based on feedback here and since I offroad this on gravel drives regularly.

The Squatch 35" Goodyears were known rock throwers, I guess you are indicating that so are the Raptor tires.
The Raptor has side steps from the factory- granted they have holes so if a rock hits or breaks apart just right they aren't going to do much. The trajectory of this one looks like it follows the spray from the road and flew just under the factory installed flaps.

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'll trade you my non-sas OBX for your Raptor. My OBX doesn't throw rocks!

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice Rig. Drive it like you stole it! I'll admit, I was having too much fun and forgot I had the top down. Marine vinyl for the win!

OP
OP
Krieger

Krieger

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I don't disagree at all. I think it's more so the velocity and frequency of just normal highway driving that surprised me. The impact sounds are quite startling even with the music cranking. I've had plenty of 4wd toys in the past and none that sounded like this or caused damage from just normal mall crawling. Wish the ugly flares had a little more function to them.

Sponsored

irishkpo

Raptor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 300ZX TT, '23 BRaptor, '24 HLE 2dr soon.....
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

That's exactly why got I PPF applied all the way down the side of mine.

coachoates

Raptor
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

PPF full body here too. Expensive, yes. But short of a car accident or running off a trail…she is bullet proof.

I took a second car to get full PPF after my experience with how awesome it is.

two years ago, a landscaper threw rocks on my car while in public. Just had it ceramic coated and took paint off around the drivers door handle.

PPF is worth every penny…if you want your car to always look as mint as possible while maximizing it the way it is designed to be enjoyed.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
PPF full body here too. Expensive, yes. But short of a car accident or running off a trail…she is bullet proof.
To the OP - yes agree with this. You can certainly reduce cost a lot and only cover high risk areas.

I've had multiple PPFd vehicles and the chip you indicated almost for sure would have been avoided.

JetG

First Edition
First Name
Jet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Macan Turbo w/PP & 2016 911 Turbo Vert
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Change the tires the ones ford picked throw rocks. Did this on my first edition and same for the raptor.
Sponsored