Sponsored

Why no nuts on the extra two positive battery post?

Gassyjack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wondered why no nuts either, put on a couple wing nuts once I figured out what thread. Just in case I ever use those terminals.
Sponsored

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That's why you have a nut bin in your garage. If you lose a nut or need bigger nuts or just replace your nuts, you always know you have spare nuts lying around.:) :) LOL!

Last edited:

A907Chick

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Wildtrax Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That's why you have a nut Ben in your garage. If you lose a nut or need bigger nuts or just replace your nuts, you always know you have spare nuts lying around.:) :) LOL!
That is exactly what I did!

Sponsored

MsPickles

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Bronco has no nuts, but has studs to use. :)

images.jpg

Texasliam

Badlands
First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My personal experience on that: Neither Lowes nor Home Depot had M5 flanged nuts.

Lowes didn't have M6 flanged nuts either. Home Depot did have M6 flanged nuts but you could only buy them in a package of 20 for $25... OR... you could order it online in a package of two and wait a week for it to arrive. 😒

Following day I stopped by my locally-owned Ace hardware store. They had both M5 and M6 flange nuts, I only needed to buy one of each, and it cost me under $1. In general they had a FAR greater selection of metric fasteners than both Lowes or Home Depot did, which is awesome since everything on the Bronco (and most vehicles for the past 2-3 decades) is metric.

So if you can't find it at the big box stores, check out your locally owned Ace, True Value, or fully independent hardware store. The little guys sometimes get it right. (y)
My local store always has the best selection for stuff like this.

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well as the title states, why are there no nuts on the extra two positive battery post? I am wanting to add a few things to my BL. I need to go to the battery for a set of jumper cables to a quick connect Anderson connector. I popped the hood unlock the positive side cover and discover two extra post with no nuts. No problem I head to my dealer and try and order them. They said there are no nuts available and they could order them but they don't show anywhere in the country. I know they are M6x 1.0 pt. Now I have to find some. Just not sure why you would put extra post for accessories and not include the nuts. All done complaining now(-;
I'm planning to flat tow my Bronco and I'm concerned about what to do if the battery goes flat (I've had that experience flat towing with a battery powered braking system). With the windows lowering when the door is opened I'd like to be able to use either a jumper cable or a battery jumper to at least supply power to the windows and perhaps door locks. I'm planning to put an Anderson connector in/near the grill so that I can jump start my Bronco without opening the doors.
I was glad to see someone else looking to install the same thing. I'd be interested in details about your installation (length of permanent cables, do you use a disconnect under the hood, wire gauge, Anderson connector mounting location/method, etc. Thanks!

OP
OP
Mlarv

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm planning to flat tow my Bronco and I'm concerned about what to do if the battery goes flat (I've had that experience flat towing with a battery powered braking system). With the windows lowering when the door is opened I'd like to be able to use either a jumper cable or a battery jumper to at least supply power to the windows and perhaps door locks. I'm planning to put an Anderson connector in/near the grill so that I can jump start my Bronco without opening the doors.
I was glad to see someone else looking to install the same thing. I'd be interested in details about your installation (length of permanent cables, do you use a disconnect under the hood, wire gauge, Anderson connector mounting location/method, etc. Thanks!

Here is the install on my F150. On the Bronco I plan on doing the same thing. That way I can use the jumper cables on either one with out swapping things around. I also have the stuff to put a 50 amp Anderson connector under the hood to run an air compressor. Stay tuned
Ford Bronco Why no nuts on the extra two positive battery post? IMG_4479.JPG
Ford Bronco Why no nuts on the extra two positive battery post? IMG_4476.JPG

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Great, thanks. I want the Andersen connector outside for external jumping the Bronco if I can't get into it to open the hood (I'm assuming that you can't open the doors if the windows don't move even if you use the key).
I don't have a winch but I do have a Viair compressor that needs 30 amps that I plan to use this connection for. I'm planning to put a cutoff switch in the positive line. Makes it a little safer to jump another battery, turn the cutoff switch off for hookup, on to jump, off to disconnect. Same with turning anything else on or off. I've also been wondering if there should be a breaker in-line with Anderson connector and if so, what amperage to allow you to jump a car but protect in case of a short.
I do like your winch mount. Do you have a receiver on the front for it as well?

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great, thanks. I want the Andersen connector outside for external jumping the Bronco if I can't get into it to open the hood (I'm assuming that you can't open the doors if the windows don't move even if you use the key).
I don't believe that's true but I'm not about to go disconnect my battery just to test it.

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm not going to test it either. It would be nice to know. I'm only guessing at this point. ;)

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is the install on my F150. On the Bronco I plan on doing the same thing. That way I can use the jumper cables on either one with out swapping things around. I also have the stuff to put a 50 amp Anderson connector under the hood to run an air compressor. Stay tuned
Oh, great. Something else I have to get. :p

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Because there are already too many nuts behind the wheel...
Sponsored