Sponsored

Calling all those who own and wheel a JL and are considering the Bronco...

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I am not certain how this will be received in a Bronco forum, but I hoping for honest feedback.
My last rig was a 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro with a 3 inch Icon coil over lift on 33s. It was a great truck, but I need more ground clearance and didn't want to start hacking away to maybe even fit 35s and all the other nightmares than go along with it.
I've found a good enough deal on a 21 Jeep JLU Rubicon that I'd plan to fit with 37's and a 2.5 or 3.5 inch lift (Metalcloak).
I am also still interested in the the BL 2 door Bronco, but fitting 37's and CV axle strength is still up in the air.
I'd get an extended warranty on either.
Whatever I get will not be my DD and will be used only for multi day off roading and remote, solo camping trips in the desert and in the Sierra Mountains.

My question is for all current and prior JL owners is their ownership experience with Jeep and why they are considering the Bronco (aside from the cool factor).
SFA in the Jeep is attractive to me for lifting capability and articulation off road, knowing full well it will not be as nice of a ride on road compared to IFS.
Now that it appears Jeep has solved it's steering issues I am more apt to jump in and revisit the Bronco after a couple years once folks have mod'd and proved out what works and what doesn't.
Sponsored

Last edited:

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
unless you are climbing on huge rocks (and based on footage it will still be fine if you are with friends)

there is no reason to buy a jeep anymore
none

EDIT
Actually only one reason i can think of and that is if you are into overlanding accessories like pull out kitchens and seat deletes

Last edited:

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't own a JL but have driven my friends JLU quite a bit. He's running 37s with a Teraflex 2-3" lift and a tune. It's a BEAST off road. I don't think I can say anything new that hasn't already been said on every Jeep forum ever.

On road, the tune allows it to still feel good even with the 37s. Without it, I think it would be a dog. The Teraflex Fast Adjust shocks are really cool and I hope they decide to do something similar for the Bronco.

And now for the elephant in the room. The steering is ... not great. My friend went and got the upgraded steering system. I drove it before and after, and while the new steering helps, it didn't help much. Particularly with the 37s, the truck just ... wanders. At high speed there's a significant dead spot in the center of the steering range. It doesn't feel unsafe by any stretch, but it's just really not enjoyable. At least not for me, coming from my IFS Xterra. He swears you get used to it.

I wouldn't want to do any long distance driving in it.

On a personal annoyance note, the nylon pigtail straps that attach to the doors constantly rub against my leg. drives me nuts.

Canuck

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 10th anniversary rubicon unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn’t have a JL but I did own a 2013 JKU with a 3.5” lift (arb) 37x13.50x17 tires it was heavily modded up. I sold it to get a 2 door(possibly 4 since I want to get into more overlanding type trips) bronco BL.
switched because I was tired of chasing steering issues, as well it was my dd an the daily ride was just too rough, as well as severely underpowered.
I want to run trails like the whipsaw In BC, an runs like these in the video.

OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I don't own a JL but have driven my friends JLU quite a bit. He's running 37s with a Teraflex 2-3" lift and a tune. It's a BEAST off road. I don't think I can say anything new that hasn't already been said on every Jeep forum ever.

On road, the tune allows it to still feel good even with the 37s. Without it, I think it would be a dog. The Teraflex Fast Adjust shocks are really cool and I hope they decide to do something similar for the Bronco.

And now for the elephant in the room. The steering is ... not great. My friend went and got the upgraded steering system. I drove it before and after, and while the new steering helps, it didn't help much. Particularly with the 37s, the truck just ... wanders. At high speed there's a significant dead spot in the center of the steering range. It doesn't feel unsafe by any stretch, but it's just really not enjoyable. At least not for me, coming from my IFS Xterra. He swears you get used to it.

On a personal annoyance note, the nylon pigtail straps that attach to the doors constantly rub against my leg. drives me nuts.
Thank you for the first hand feedback.
I do long distance on road driving to get to where I'm going so the steering is concerning. There is an off road shop near me in Socal that I can steel a test ride in one of their built rigs to see what it feels like.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thank you for the first hand feedback.
google death wobble issues on the JL. They have NOT fixed the issue.

OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've read about it in the JL forums and the vast majority of folks say that the new steering box has helped a lot, even when lifted.
Not sure what to think based on reports like your buddy that got his replaced and is still having dead spot and wandering. He got the replacement done, correct? There is a TSB out for it. Would have been in the last 60 days or so.

OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've read about it in the JL forums and the vast majority of folks say that the new steering box has helped a lot, even when lifted.
Not sure what to think based on reports like your buddy that got his replaced and is still having dead spot and wandering. He got the replacement done, correct? There is a TSB out for it. Would have been in the last 60 days or so.
unless you are climbing on huge rocks (and based on footage it will still be fine if you are with friends)

there is no reason to buy a jeep anymore
none

EDIT
Actually only one reason i can think of and that is if you are into overlanding accessories like pull out kitchens and seat deletes
Not interested in pull out kitchens and all that crap.
Perhaps rear seat delete.

Still remains how/if the Bronco can handle 37 inch tires. So in that respect the Jeep is very relevant and is a requirement for my next rig. I wish Ford would come clean on the yellow one posing on 37s and then I could put it to rest.

OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I didn’t have a JL but I did own a 2013 JKU with a 3.5” lift (arb) 37x13.50x17 tires it was heavily modded up. I sold it to get a 2 door(possibly 4 since I want to get into more overlanding type trips) bronco BL.
switched because I was tired of chasing steering issues, as well it was my dd an the daily ride was just too rough, as well as severely underpowered.
I want to run trails like the whipsaw In BC, an runs like these in the video.
I've driven a JK with 37's on Icon stuff and it was terrible.
Felt like I was straddling a ballon going down the road. Could have been a bad set up and or alignment, not sure, but I couldn't wait to park it.
I need to drive a lifted JL to compare.

Sponsored

millsra13

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150, 2019 Toyota 4runner, 2003 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought a 2018 JL Rubicon when they first came out. It was in the shop 5 times in 4 months for various things, but mainly the steering. It was downright dangerous how much it wandered. I've owned 2 TJs and a YJ previous so the whole "its how a jeep drives" that the dealership kept feeding me is bulls$%^. Even the YJ was 100x better at tracking down the road. It seems like Jeep has a new TSB to address the steering issues with a new gear box, but who knows if that will actually fix it. That being said, I traded it in after about 5 months of ownership (luckily jeeps hold their value and JLs were scarce at the time so I didn't lose any money). I would not recommend a JL personally.

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Not interested in pull out kitchens and all that crap.
Perhaps rear seat delete.

Still remains how/if the Bronco can handle 37 inch tires. So in that respect the Jeep is very relevant and is a requirement for my next rig. I wish Ford would come clean on the yellow one posing on 37s and then I could put it to rest.
this is a bronco on 37s

this was the "accessory" display bronco with a small lift and 37 inch tires
Ford Bronco Calling all those who own and wheel a JL and are considering the Bronco... 2021 Bronco 2 inch lift kit 37 inch tires

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have 2 JL's both 2018. They both drive great. I havent had any issues with them. If you get the JL get the 2.0 turbo with the etorque. With 35s it still has plenty of power with stock gearing. Both are rubicons. I can think of a few reasons why the JL might be a better wheelin rig than the bronco.

1. 2.0 with etorque and 8 speed has plenty of power. It has more power on 35s than my ranger with the 2.3 turbo and 10 speed on 31s.
2. You can get one now....If you havent signed up already your looking at 2022 for a Bronco.
3. Solid axle vs IFS....Read the articles. For a strictly offroad rig SFA wins out most of the time.
4. Solid axle rigs are easier to work on if something breaks on the trail.
5. We can talk about how great the Bronco is but it still needs to prove itself.
6. 35s fit with no lift. a 2" lift will let you go 37s.

That being said I'm excited to get a Bronco. My wife will drive the JLU and I'll drive the Bronco.

Last edited:

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My JLU has been perfect - but is stock and I made sure to test drive it thoroughly before buying (there was 1 JL I test drove that had super loose steering - but easily avoided with a test drive - mine is tight and no issue driving it long distances or on winding highways).

Reason I am here is I wanted a manual JL/JLU but with the looong clutch it has I couldn't find a comfortable seating position where my head wasn't up against the roof (I am tall... and JL is not big inside). So went with an auto instead and for an auto it is fantastic (ZF 8 speed) but not as much fun. Plus the Jeep is the oldest of the 3 in my 'fleet' so I can't help myself but start looking at what I want next... it is a sickness.

Bronkytonkman

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GMC AT4 Pickup
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

100% agree on the wandering and dead spot; it literally feels unsafe but it's just more annoying and tiring really having to constantly deal with it. But, they do run pretty smooth at and (well) beyond highway cruising speed. The straps are super annoying rubbing leg for sure. Put many miles on a 2020 JL.
Sponsored