First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F250 - Probably won't make it till the Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've settled on a 4 door FE in Lightning Blue and I had myself talked into taking it to the paint shop day 1 and getting the MIC top, b pillar, mirror caps, flares, and grill painted.

Mostly because everytime I see the MIC top i throw up a little in my mouth.

So it looks like I'm going to be ordering my FE with the modular painted top.

Anyone have an idea of how that will go down when its time to order? Its not like the modular top is even an option on B&P...

Can I order it with the MIC top and add the modular on to the order so I can melt the MIC one with a flamethrower when it comes in?

And anyone care to speculate on what "late availability might mean?

I tried to like the MIC top but as the basic white girls say: I cant even
Totally agree with you on this - in particular your comment "everytime I see the MIC top i throw up a little in my mouth".
We saw "pre-production" vehicles for a VERY LONG TIME I get what "pre-production" means - they are trying out different options, however, an off-shade of grey was NEVER in ANY of the promo videos and frankly, it doesn't look nearly as good as a Black top - even a Black satin top on almost every model.
Call it what you want - It is clearly a failure on the part of purchasing/sourcing. They can't possibly believe that the grey MIC top is "the bomb" - It is unquestionably a "we have to get these out the door" strategy. The release of A LEGEND should not have SETTLED for an off color top. If it were me, I would be standing on someones desk saying - Find a Tier 1 that wants to produce 190,000 Black Tops for $X.00 now! We will pay for the Black Top! At least make it an option.
The Grey MIC will look "decent" (not great) with a few select colors - Area 51, Carbonized Grey, Cactus Grey - But it won't look nearly as good as Black Gloss or Black Satin on the others - Particularly the Race Red, Velocity Blue, Antimatter Blue. Grey unquestionably does Not look as good as Black on these colors.
And BTW - they said we could have the soft AND hard top - can we still get the soft-top and a hard top or not? What say ye @Ford?
Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
True. I'm getting a 2 door. Earlier post (#16 by Judge Rufus) said upgrade to modular top is $1895. Same post says cost of mod top is $3790 (close to your $4k estimate).

What I'm saying is that by not doing the upgrade on my my21 order I save $1895 . Then later spend $3790 when the tops are available. So the cost difference between the wait and don't wait scenarios is $1895.

I expect to pay $3790 - $4k down the road when tops are ready.
Exactly right, means you pay $1895 more than sticker to get the top they promised you, although that is offset by you getting to keep the gray MIC top as a consolation prize, might be worth $1895 to you to have a second top to smack around and keep the fancy one nice or sell for whatever the market will bear, obviously your call. $1895 minus the selling price or personal value placed on having that second MIC top is the premium paid for not having to wait for Ford to fix their supply problems. Is still crummy that you have to pay $1895 more than the original price, in essence being forced to buy two roofs instead of just the one you wanted, but here we are.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Exactly right, means you pay $1895 more than sticker to get the top they promised you, although that is offset by you getting to keep the gray MIC top as a consolation prize, might be worth $1895 to you to have a second top to smack around and keep the fancy one nice or sell for whatever the market will bear, obviously your call. $1895 minus the selling price or personal value placed on having that second MIC top is the premium paid for not having to wait for Ford to fix their supply problems. Is still crummy that you have to pay $1895 more than the original price, in essence being forced to buy two roofs instead of just the one you wanted, but here we are.
Im not sure what sticker price your talking about, the original price or the new lowered price after modular tops were cancelled. To simplify, your going to buy your bronco, then if you want a painted modular top at least a year later when they are available, your going to give a Ford dealer more than $4k after freight and get a second hard top.

williamoneal

Outer Banks
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F250 - Probably won't make it till the Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Everyone keeps talking around the subject, but nobody can seem to answer if the modular top can be ordered in December on your build and wait until it's available. Nobody wants to pay a big upcharge to get one from the dealer later on. Waiting a couple of months would be no problem for many of us. That's a heck of a lot better than the number of refusals dealers will get when the customer see's for them self how mis matched the MIC top looks.
The whole Top thing is making me consider walking away from this. Frankly, I'm pissed about the "Grey" MIC. It looks livable but not ideal for Cactus Grey, Area 51 and Carbonized Grey.
Why in the crap can't we get a Black hard top? Why won't @Ford provide some clarity on:
1.) Can we order a Soft Top AND a Hard Top as previously indicated?
2.) What EXACTLY is the deal on ordering a MIC now and wanting to purchase a painted (White or Black) hard top in the future.
We are making a $60k decision here. We deserve some clarifications please.
I am guessing I will stay on the sidelines and cancel my order without some clarity on these items.

Iceman153

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

the MIC top sucks. I think many of us are planning to go soft top (assuming you want a 4 door, 2 door ppl are screwed), and then fork out the ~4K for the modular once it's available. So you are basically paying a 2K premium to get your car earlier, but you also get a "free" soft top. Someone said above the soft top is worth $1200, which sounds reasonable, and there are probably shipping charges there too. so If you actually want BOTH soft and modular tops, this is a better option than painting the MIC and buying a soft top.

My Question : If you order it with a soft top, does the car still come with the washer/electrical hookups for the hard top? or will that be another additional cost when you go to install your modular top later?

now If it doesn't have the hookups, or you don't want a soft top, that might make painting the MIC a viable option... Keep in mind the MIC top doesn't have a flat surface ready for paint, so your body shop will have a bunch of filling/sanding to do.

Last edited:

Sponsored

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I cannot wait for December, or the order guides to leak, so we know what can and can't be ordered come the 7th and get some definitive clarity on how the late availability items are going to be handled while respecting our reservation time stamps.

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Question : If you order it with a soft top, does the car still come with the washer/electrical hookups for the hard top? or will that be another additional cost when you go to install your modular top later?
AFAIK It has been said all the hookups (wiper and rear defrost) will be there.

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I cannot wait for December, or the order guides to leak, so we know what can and can't be ordered come the 7th and get some definitive clarity on how the late availability items are going to be handled while respecting our reservation time stamps.
I love your optimism

Iceman153

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

AFAIK It has been said all the hookups (wiper and rear defrost) will be there.
Hopefully, but I don't think that was said offically anywhere was it? I'd definitely want to confirm this before ordering.

Sponsored

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If we go off of the email from Ford themselves, we CAN order our Broncos with black hard top at order time [for late delivery]

Ford Bronco Just Can't Do MIC Top Screenshot_20201116-213249_Edge
You might want to read that more clearly. You can either:

1) Order the MIC hardtop, or

2) Wait for the black modular top.

It does not say that you can order the Modular top at this point, meaning you will have to wait to order your bronco when it is available.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If we go off of the email from Ford themselves, we CAN order our Broncos with black hard top at order time [for late delivery]

Screenshot_20201116-213249_Edge.jpg
That's my hope is that they'll hold true to their word but until it's real come December I'm not holding my breath. I'm more than fine with waiting. Part of me would even like to see me kicked back to a '22.

Hornet

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I agree. I think the grey top is brutal. A black or white top would be better and given the option would be the overwhelming choice over the grey. Rushing to get it out is why grey is only choice.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You might want to read that more clearly. You can either:

1) Order the MIC hardtop, or

2) Wait for the black modular top.

It does not say that you can order the Modular top at this point, meaning you will have to wait to order your bronco when it is available.
The fact that the next line says "your reservation stamp will be honored", and we know ordering cuts off sometime late January for reservation holders (after which, your reservation is forfeited) leads me to believe that the black modular top will become an option sometime during ordering time.

Otherwise they wouldn't mention the reservation stamp line at the end

I know it's ridiculous we have to pick apart a paragraph from their email like this. But Ford is hilariously dodgy with communications at this point

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
(after which, your reservation is forfeited)
I've seen some posters here asserting this, but never seen anything from Ford that states this. In fact I've heard the opposite from some dealers.
Sponsored