North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

We are getting a bypass installed so we can hook up our generator during hurricanes. It's a cheaper alternative and we can get a pretty big generator to even run our ac. It doesn't come on automatically, but that's the only disadvantage.
I would ask you installer about the cost to upgrade to a Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS).

(Sorry, it would not be Bronco6g if we failed to derail the thread a little, but then again, blackouts are on our minds this week here in Texas.)

Last edited:

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live a long way from you so the prices are probably different but excluding the propane tank my in-laws had a generator installed that comes on automatically during power outages and it was about $15,000. Not bad
Holey Moley Batman!!! I just bought a portable generator for $1,100. I was pricing the permanently installed ones from Generac...a 14kw was around 4k and about 2k to have it installed....way more than I wanted to spend for a couple outages a year! I am going to get a Generlink when they have some in stock. http://www.generlink.com/

JamesC

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HJ45, URJ200, W463
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm reading now about propane, looks great as compared to diesel with regards to storage life, diesel is 18-24 months vs Propane has a near infinite storage life.
Not to hijack but I've gone through both of your considerations in the last 10 years.

I had a 500gal tank buried at our small ranch in Fannin county. Leased is $26ish per month and the providers prefer that arrangement from my POV.

I live in Lower Greenville and had my gas main replaced from the alley and all associated plumbing for the house last May. Things like accessory runs to the backhouse/garage were about $100/ft so it will depend on the span from your line or a house junction.

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Holey Moley Batman!!! I just bought a portable generator for $1,100. I was pricing the permanently installed ones from Generac...a 14kw was around 4k and about 2k to have it installed....way more than I wanted to spend for a couple outages a year!
You could probably do it much cheaper
They had it all installed and didn’t lift a finger LOL

they are getting a little older and priorities change :)

Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We are getting a bypass installed so we can hook up our generator during hurricanes. It's a cheaper alternative and we can get a pretty big generator to even run our ac. It doesn't come on automatically, but that's the only disadvantage.
Check this out....http://www.generlink.com/...They are out of stock right now though...

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would ask you installer about the cost to upgrade to a Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS).

(Sorry, it would not be Bronco6g if we failed to derail the thread a little, but then again, blackouts are on our minds this week here in Texas.)
Our friend is an electrician. Auto would be nice, but our propane source is in the wrong place to do it without a lot of modification. I live out in the woods, so it's not like we have gas lines running out here.

JamesC

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HJ45, URJ200, W463
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just signed the paperwork for a new job and I am moving to Dallas! It's not an immediate move because the offices are not currently open, but I will be making the move shortly after they open up. Right now they are predicting September, but it could be as early as May. I have never been to Dallas, or even Texas, but have heard lots of good things! Also, this job is an excellent opportunity for me so it is worth the risk.

I figured I would reach out on here to connect with some of the future Bronco owners from Texas! Any tips or advice? Restaurants I absolutely have to check out? Warm weather Bronco mods? I know I am reconsidering colors (again) given there is on average 100 more days of sun a year in Dallas than Detroit! I could not be more excited!

And most importantly, what on Earth are you all going to do about that front license plate!? :ROFLMAO:

EDIT: To be more specific, my office is in Farmers Branch. Still learning!
I was moved to Dallas in 2000, grew up in several parts of the world and travel constantly (precovid) for work and play. Dallas is a great place to live/base from my perspective. Food scene is strong. Beer/drinks scene is strong. You'll get used to the things others have mentioned so I won't repeat. My wife is from Mexico City so very NYC/Boston/Paris/Singapore/Buenos Aires walkable lifestyle and she has really grown to love and appreciate what Dallas has to offer.

Unlike others have said, I'm biased here, I've lived in Richardson, Addison, Plano, McKinney, Fannin County near Bonham for a decade and now primarily in a historic district in Dallas Dallas. For an office in Farmer's Branch I'd still lobby for as low inside of 635 that you can balance for commute/cost and lifestyle. Especially considering your described lifestyle I'd really lobby for as close to Dallas as possible. Just my .02 :)

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not interested in arguing with anyone here. I'm military 26+ years, and lived many places across the country. Just speaking from my personal experience. Cost of living is higher here than anywhere else I've been so far. Not saying it's a bad place to be, just somewhat pricey.
Am not trying to argue either but numbers tell the story so no real need to argue.
Thank you for your service!

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
He already answered that earlier in the thread.
Yeah sorry he answered I remembered that... Some reason I read Farmers and was thinking of he is working for the insurance company lol

Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not interested in arguing with anyone here. I'm military 26+ years, and lived many places across the country. Just speaking from my personal experience. Cost of living is higher here than anywhere else I've been so far. Not saying it's a bad place to be, just somewhat pricey.
Hey Henry, not arguing either...But let's look at real numbers...Built my house 2 years ago, 3 bd, 2.5 bath, 2,320 sg ft...on 5 acres valued at ~ $270,000 my 2020 property taxes were under 2k. I am on an electric CO-OP my bill runs about $100 a month average. Propane here runs around $2.40 a gallon. Vehicle registration is usually about $20 cheaper than in the metroplex. To me, the cost of living here is not high. But again, I live in the country, so it depends on many factors... also, another plus for living in the country, Car insurance is cheaper!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was moved to Dallas in 2000, grew up in several parts of the world and travel constantly (precovid) for work and play. Dallas is a great place to live/base from my perspective. Food scene is strong. Beer/drinks scene is strong. You'll get used to the things others have mentioned so I won't repeat. My wife is from Mexico City so very NYC/Boston/Paris/Singapore/Buenos Aires walkable lifestyle and she has really grown to love and appreciate what Dallas has to offer.

Unlike others have said, I'm biased here, I've lived in Richardson, Addison, Plano, McKinney, Fannin County near Bonham for a decade and now primarily in a historic district in Dallas Dallas. For an office in Farmer's Branch I'd still lobby for as low inside of 635 that you can balance for commute/cost and lifestyle. Especially considering your described lifestyle I'd really lobby for as close to Dallas as possible. Just my .02 :)
Thanks for the feedback! That’s what I was kind of thinking for at least the first year I’m down there. Then after I get the feel for everything I can always move farther out or figure out where I really want to be. This company also has several offices globally so for all I know, I might only be in Dallas for a couple years. Looking to make the most of it!

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last edited:

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the feedback! That’s what I was kind of thinking for at least the first year I’m down there. Then after I get the feel for everything I can always move farther out or figure out where I really want to be. This company also has several offices globally so for all I know, I might only be in Dallas for a couple years. Looking to make the most of it!
Hey Philly, I will put my money where my mouth is...When you get here, I will meet you at the Babe's of your choice, my treat! I will show you some of that true Texas hospitality! ....and hopefully by then I can show off my new Bronco!

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Philly, make sure you stake your claim to the Free 72 oz steak in Amarillo when visiting Palo Duro Canyon.

https://www.bigtexan.com/72-oz-steak/

72oz Steak Challenge Rules
72oz Steak Dinner Challenge Includes: Shrimp Cocktail, Baked Potato, Salad, with Roll, Butter, and of course the 72oz Steak
1. Entire meal must be completed in one hour. If any of the meal is not consumed (swallowed)…YOU LOSE!
2. Before the time starts, you will be allowed to cut into the steak, and take one bite. If the steak tastes good and is cooked to your satisfaction, we will start the time upon your acceptable approval. The time will not stop, and the contest is on, so make SURE before you say “yes.”
3. Once you have started you are not allowed to stand up, leave your table, or have anyone else TOUCH the meal.
4. You will be disqualified if anyone assists you in cutting, preparing or eating of your meal. This is YOUR contest.
5. You don’t have to eat the fat, but we will judge this.
6. Should you become ill, the contest is over… YOU LOSE! (Please use the container provided as necessary.)
7. You are required to pay the full amount up front; if you win we will refund 100%.
8.You must sit at a table that we assign.
9. If you do not win the steak challenge, you are welcome to take the leftovers with you.
10. No consumption or sharing of the leftovers is allowed in the restaurant once the contest is over.
11. If you fail to complete the challenge, you must pay the full $72 dollars.

Ford Bronco I'm Moving to Dallas! srteak
Sponsored