Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good stuff, I’d love to learn to be able to weld and have a trail weld kit, but hope I don’t need it.
Sponsored

RunninRiot

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would be cool to hear what a good, better, and best (which you’ve already done) materials list is for those of us just starting to collect these things. I haven’t wheeled in 20 years and will start slow and with people who have many years of experience but I’d like to have my own gear when the need arises.

FordOwner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a few
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I bought my house, it came with a chain saw in a case. I really need to spend a little time with it and get it in fighting shape. In Colorado trees don’t grow like weeds, so they frown on cutting a tree down for any reason without a permit. But it would be so handy in other locations. Will have to add a tip protector or some other case though.

image.jpg

That looks like it might be a McCulloch Mac 110 or 120 chainsaw? Those are great old chainsaws.

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not a prepper either. But I have lived in two very different areas of the country now where emergencies have happened and will again, from earthquakes to blizzards to floods to wildfires. And then, when you live in the west and go off-roading as often as you can, the concept of the emergency survival/bugout bag suddenly makes a whole lot of sense in your head. I put together 10L dry bags for both my wife and myself that we can keep in our cars just in case, taking up little space. They each contain almost all the same basics outlined above by @The Bronze, just my take on them. Everyone who goes off-roading should have one, IMO, tailored to their concerns and needs. Just makes sense.
You're a prepper....and there's nothing wrong with it. Don't say it like its a cuss word. I have hunting gear, fishing gear, food and fresh water for my wife, my dogs, and myself to sustain for a couple months at home if needed. There's nothing wrong with wanting to maintain life if that just means being called a prepper. Now if you have an underground bunker with pop up machine guns and satellite TV with a small modular reactor powering it.....that's one of those weird preppers.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I designed a bunker door for a guy once ( only design with my name attributed to it that was patented) and I have the manufacturing rights to it... but he never sold any, to the best of my knowledge. I think the world needs more preppers so I can make more money... lol

Sponsored

Anthraces

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese car/SUV unfortunately
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're a prepper....and there's nothing wrong with it. Don't say it like its a cuss word. I have hunting gear, fishing gear, food and fresh water for my wife, my dogs, and myself to sustain for a couple months at home if needed. There's nothing wrong with wanting to maintain life if that just means being called a prepper. Now if you have an underground bunker with pop up machine guns and satellite TV with a small modular reactor powering it.....that's one of those weird preppers.
what, you don’t want your very own back up nuclear reactor?

Anthraces

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese car/SUV unfortunately
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I actually carry my field medic trauma kit with me on the backpack I travel with (just in case I need to seal a sucking chest wound or open your windpipe). That and my SERE kit which has a lot of useful things in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Reading this post makes me think I need to up my game 🤔

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The detail of equipment here shows how little I know from too-few outings with my 2 different 2006 LJs. But this also makes me think of a phrase we use in backpacking, "you pack your fears". Afraid of being hungry, you'll back extra food.

Have you reflected on how much of this is packing your fears?
Bringing your own recovery gear is not about "packing fears" or whatever that means.

You have an obligation to bring whatever you may need to get your own self out of a jam, not rely on some other guy with adequate "fears" and "knowledge" of how to use the gear to save your ass.

An off road recovery generally takes place far outside of cell phone range and generally costs over $1000 here in the US.

Most guys I've helped while out don't even have enough smarts to bring something above a CB radio which is as useless as an out of range cell phone.

If you've never been wheeling in backcountry, just say you don't know; no harm or shame in not knowing. However, your failure to know what's basic or required does not mean that the other person is doing something wrong or paranoid, or crazy. In an extreme condition, they are just prepared because of what they either understand, have learned, or have experienced.

In popular camping and wheeling areas there may be someone who comes along in a reasonable amount of time to save you, but I've helped people who've been stranded for hours. I will only use my gear if that person has some gear or tools; this is an example of a person who at least has tried.

For those who have nothing, I just make an emergency call for them to pay for that $1000 recovery and I keep rolling after giving that person's position. Why? So they learn the lesson to not be so willful in their ignorance.

Is recovery gear expensive, YES. Is it absolutely necessary, YES. If you have none, or don't wish to make the investment, then stay home or go with friends who are responsible and who will tolerate your lack of preparedness.

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whatever, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Each person should do whatever they think they need to, to whatever extent. You made the wrong assumption that I'm saying it like a cuss word.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would be cool to hear what a good, better, and best (which you’ve already done) materials list is for those of us just starting to collect these things. I haven’t wheeled in 20 years and will start slow and with people who have many years of experience but I’d like to have my own gear when the need arises.
Good question and approach.

When we say "it depends on the situation" think about it this way to keep it simple. If you're new to wheeling/camping, whatever, there is no problem with being new; we all started somewhere and were full of anxiety whether or not we openly admit that.

When new, smartest thing to do is map out where you will test yourself first, make it someplace simple, easily accessible or escapable, and study up on it. Most important, do not go alone. Find a group, such as in a year, there will be a ton of Bronco clubs, or go with a jeep club, anyone or group who are nice enough to break bread with. I use GIA GPS and have the annual subscription which is regularly on sale.

As for gear, your first priority is comms, so at least grab a handheld GMRS (pay the FCC fee), or Ham radio, (buy a cheap study book on Amazon and take the test in your area). This is first because along with buying a fairly decent radio, you have a fee ($75 GMRS) or Ham (test), but the test is no big deal and you don't need to know everything. These radios can be as cheap as $50 for a handheld or an installed unit will be between $150-$450 "including antenna" and wiring. I also have a Garmin InReach mini, which is good for camping or hiking also and any emergency communication and is quite expensive.

Now, recovery and safety: An air compressor should be purchased. You don't need to go big here, just decent. You can upgrade if you love going out at a later date and put this one in your wife's car or sell/gift to a buddy.

Grab a decent first aid kit and a $30 fire extinguisher from Amazon. Decent first aid kit should cost maybe $60. If you have some training or plan on being the medic, you can spend $300 easy, but everyone will love you!

Buy a cheap auto tool set and get a soft roller bag to keep in. Do not bring your fancy tools for wheeling. The mud and muck will result in lost wrenches, etc. Cheap tools are easy to replace and don't make you mad when you lose them.

Ensure your vehicle has quality recovery points. Bronco has these as standard front and rear. I use a Factor 55 in my trailer hitch of my Disco now and will move it to the Bronco or buy another.

Recovery boards are awesome, but this is subjective here. I love Maxtrax, as they'll get you out of most any soft ground situation. downside, they're not cheap. These can be mounted on your Bronco and make sure they're lockable. Take off and put up when you get home. They are usually on backorder, so do it sooner rather than just before you want to go out.

I like Kinetic rope more than straps. I have a VooDoo rope, but there are several that are good, these generally cost $120 and up. Yes, they're worth every dime. I use soft shackles because they are much safer, but cost $60 or so each; need two. I also have cheap bow shackles $15 usually, but they can be dangerous. these are a must have.

I have a Deadman kit (it's a brand). This was crazy expensive, but you can get cheaper options.

Last, if you really get into going out wheeling, a winch is wonderful, but costly investment. You'll use more for others than yourself and your synthetic line must be maintained and kept clean, so don't leave the mud on it for long. Same for your kenetic rope or straps. A tree protector is needed here and some blankets for the winch line (this is where the Deadman comes in)

Now, this was long post, but know that you start from the top, get a few basics, then find a group to go out with.

Cost of the basics will likely be around $500 at most. comms, tools, a rope, shackles, shovel, gloves. From here, you can build out when you find and learn of better equipment. My kit minus the cost of my Warn winch is around $1200, but that was built out over years, not in a matter of months. Just plan and go easy on the trails you do until you build your confidence.

Overall, you'll have a ton of fun wheeling with cool people and it is very easy to become addicted to going out into the woods. :)

Sponsored

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bringing your own recovery gear is not about "packing fears" or whatever that means.

You have an obligation to bring whatever you may need to get your own self out of a jam, not rely on some other guy with adequate "fears" and "knowledge" of how to use the gear to save your ass.

An off road recovery generally takes place far outside of cell phone range and generally costs over $1000 here in the US.

Most guys I've helped while out don't even have enough smarts to bring something above a CB radio which is as useless as an out of range cell phone.

If you've never been wheeling in backcountry, just say you don't know; no harm or shame in not knowing. However, your failure to know what's basic or required does not mean that the other person is doing something wrong or paranoid, or crazy. In an extreme condition, they are just prepared because of what they either understand, have learned, or have experienced.

In popular camping and wheeling areas there may be someone who comes along in a reasonable amount of time to save you, but I've helped people who've been stranded for hours. I will only use my gear if that person has some gear or tools; this is an example of a person who at least has tried.

For those who have nothing, I just make an emergency call for them to pay for that $1000 recovery and I keep rolling after giving that person's position. Why? So they learn the lesson to not be so willful in their ignorance.

Is recovery gear expensive, YES. Is it absolutely necessary, YES. If you have none, or don't wish to make the investment, then stay home or go with friends who are responsible and who will tolerate your lack of preparedness.
I am going to need to have you come over sometime and make sure I have enough gear to be allowed out on the trail.

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I actually carry my field medic trauma kit with me on the backpack I travel with (just in case I need to seal a sucking chest wound or open your windpipe). That and my SERE kit which has a lot of useful things in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Reading this post makes me think I need to up my game 🤔
SERE is a new term for me, but not a new concept!

jwmach1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands, 2013 Wrangler, 2006 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used to carry a 60+ lb backpack, it's now 35. Over time I realized I didn't need the extra weight. Some of that came from experience, and some of it came from others with more experience explaining how to do it better.

Relatively speaking my off-road confidence is about where I was at 55 lb backpack. Still learning and leaning on the others in the group. (Never wheel alone) I'm starting to build an effective kit. For example, I've not needed my air compressor but others in my groups have.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When I bought my house, it came with a chain saw in a case. I really need to spend a little time with it and get it in fighting shape. In Colorado trees don’t grow like weeds, so they frown on cutting a tree down for any reason without a permit. But it would be so handy in other locations. Will have to add a tip protector or some other case though.

image.jpg
In hawaii we actively have to keep the jungle back just to keep our house clear. Having a saw for offroading is largely for trees that have fallen in your way or to cut chunks for filling holes or as jack stand during repairs or even making bridges. My battery one wont run forever but it is as powerful as an 18" needs to be and with 2 batteries would probably cut 2 large trees into something I can move by hand or winch. Its also toolless so I can pop the bar off to fit it in tighter spots.

Recoveries are always just another fun part of the adventure. I try to stay well supplied at this point in my life but the majority of my award winning recoveries were with a strap or 2 and our collective wits. Like the day you decide to try that big obstacle is the first time you go to that area in your new ride that you traded your old one with its winch for :ROFLMAO:.
Still was able to pull my buddies 2 z71 chevys through with my 4 cyl cj7.
Sponsored