Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
More support - see here http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2018.html

Scroll down. Depth of outback load floor is 41" (confirmed a few weeks ago when I measure my own) you somehow have 37" (inner curves of cargo liner?)

My biggest take away is Bronco is 43 W x 25 H (to top of seatback, stacking 4" above beltline, but still lower than spare tire) x 35 D (vertical midpoint for seatback) = 21.8 usable cubic feet.. If to 21" heigh is 18.3 usable cubic feet...my outback is 46 W (horizontal midpoint) x 18 H x 38 D (vertical midpoint) = 18.2 usable cubic feet.

So 21.8 Bronco vs 18.2 Outback
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Some conflicting numbers here, but which to trust? It would be Nice if Ford got us some actual damn numbers by now.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

having extra of these will take up space in the subaru
Ford Bronco 3D Scans + Dimensions of 4-Door Bronco Cargo Area (and vs Outback) shia-labeouf-paper-bag-head-02

Gary

Black Diamond
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Also see measured dimensions by other members:

Hi All! Was super excited to get my first look at the new Bronco yesterday at one of the Philly area dealership viewings. The biggest goal was to figure out if a 4D could fit my family of 4 plus a dog, and I'm happy to say that mission was accomplished. I also wanted to try the new iPhone's LIDAR scanner in hopes that I could save a good 3d scan then measure whatever dimensions I want later. It worked. So then I scanned my wife's 2016 Subaru Outback for a side by side.

If you want the TL;DR - with the back seats up, the practical loading capacity of the 4D Bronco will be pretty similar to an Outback.

For the rest of you, see below for 3D scan screenshots with a few key dimensions. I tried to be as precise as possible but this was my first go at it, so the measurements aren't gospel and treat them with a few inches of slack. I'd say if there is ~3 inches or more between the Bronco and the Outback dimensions, the difference is probably real and noticeable.

If any of you want to try this at home you need an iPhone 12 Pro, Pro Max, or iPad Pro and the free 3d Scanner App. Would be interested to see how an older Bronco, Wrangler, or 4Runner stack up!

Without further ado, here are the Bronco vs Outback cargo areas with the seats up:

Ford Bronco 3D Scans + Dimensions of 4-Door Bronco Cargo Area (and vs Outback) shia-labeouf-paper-bag-head-02

Outback

WIDTH: wheel well to wheel well they're even at ~39 inches. The Bronco's sides are flat and clean, while the Subaru has two open nooks on either side behind the wheel intrusions. Those are handy on occasion but in everyday use they don't add much.

LENGTH: the Ouback is noticeably deeper with a 6-7 inch advantage at floor level, but the Bronco has more upright seats and a vertical tailgate. The second shot of the Outback shows how much the seat angle and sloped back window cut into volume. This can be a problem for suitcases and moving boxes. Big items taller than 10-12 inches will fit about the same in both, if not better in the Bronco. You'll notice that the diagonal from the tailgate lip to the top of back seat is 39 inches for the Bronco vs 35 for the Subaru. Those with strollers know why that's important.

HEIGHT: Bronco has the clear edge here. It's 4 inches taller from the floor to the top of the seats and 6 inches from floor to the side windows. In terms of overall height, the floor to roll bar in the Bronco is also 4-6 inches taller, depending on where you measure the Outback's floor to ceiling. Just remember that the infamous step at the end of the Bronco's cargo area is 4 inches tall. If you level it out with the sliding cargo tray or another add-on it will cut the advantage.

OVERALL: with the seats up the 4D Bronco and Outback are more or less equivalent in practical cargo capacity. So it shouldn't have any trouble fitting a stroller and a medium sized dog comfortably in the back since we pull it off regularly with the Subaru.

Bonus: Bronco with the back seats folded down

I have to admit this was a bit of a letdown. It's only 5 feet from the back door to the edge of the folded seatback, and the diagonal from the back corner to the seatback edge is still only 6 feet. With the front seats pushed up you can eke out a little extra length, but unfortunately the center console is taller than the folded seats so it will interfere with a blowup mattress. I don't show it on these pics but a straight line from the top edge of the console to the tailgate is 5.5 feet.

So car camping will be tight without a tent, especially for a couple. Not a dealbreaker by any means but I was hoping for a little more room. At least this explains why Ford didn't go with the Honda Magic Seat approach: if the cushion flipped forward, it would eat at another 6-8 inches of length.
I checked out the Bronco last week. I brought a tape measure to compared the cargo area to my 2020 Outback. I was surprised to see how much bigger the Outback is.

Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I checked out the Bronco last week. I brought a tape measure to compared the cargo area to my 2020 Outback. I was surprised to see how much bigger the Outback is.
Its not. See my post above (at least for a 2018 outback, but not much different)

OP
OP

Zeebo390

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang GT, 2016 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Which app did you use? Can you provide a link? There are several apps available.

This one? https://www.3dscannerapp.com

Prior to the iPhone there were people using the Xbox Kinect for 3D scanning.

I feel we are going to see a jump in AR and VR soon with tools like this.
Yep, that’s the one. I tried a few but this worked the best. I used the high res setting with confidence set high, range at 3.0 m, no masking, and the resolution at 10 mm.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, that’s the one. I tried a few but this worked the best. I used the high res setting with confidence set high, range at 3.0 m, no masking, and the resolution at 10 mm.
I won't get an iPhone 12 (until later this year) but I look forward to trying this! Thanks!

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nothing against your iphone, but your 29" cargo floor length I measured several times to be sure, came to just over 32". (I have a utility box I plan to install there)....

32"
Not 29"
Perhaps I went over the lip? But I don't think so.

OP
OP

Zeebo390

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for doing this. But a lot of these dimensions are off. Trust me, because I posted the thread with the 100 tape measured dimensions....and also took dimensions of my own outback. The seatback height of the bronco is 25" not 23". The Outback seat height is closer to 18", not 16". The width of the Bronco load floor is 43", and 42.5" at the tailgate, not 39". Etc etc I think the reason why some of your dimensions are understated is due to some curvature where one plane meets another.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn’t treat them as gospel. In defense of the LIDAR I did leave meat on the bone in corners to avoid weird shapes so it sounds like the margin of error is really more like +\- 3 inches. While the physical tape measure is def more accurate, but for me the big picture was the relative comparison in 3D. I needed it to be equivalent or better than the Outback, so that was good news. Out of curiosity were your seat down measurements much different from these?

Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I didnt bother with seat down dimension. I have baby seats, so my primary focus is space behind the 2nd row, and almost never have the seats down given removal of said car seats.

OP
OP

Zeebo390

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nothing against your iphone, but your 29" cargo floor length I measured several times to be sure, came to just over 32". (I have a utility box I plan to install there)....

32"
Not 29"
Perhaps I went over the lip? But I don't think so.
IPhone says 29 inches from the door to the base of the hump, 32-33 to the seatback. But I’d trust a tape measure if an installation depended on it. I should’ve brought my 30” straightedge to put in the scans for reference.

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those rear nooks may not seem useful at first glance but for golf clubs they're super handy. I'm not that confident my carry bag will fit even with my driver taken out. They're also a handy spot to store bottles and stuff to prevent them from rolling away.

So you may be telling me I can't get a pair of my skis in the back of the Bronco :unsure:

Half the winter I have a pair of skis back there. I'll have to figure this one out.
I wouldn't count on any adult skis fitting in the Bronco. I haven't been able to store skis in an SUV without folding seats since my parents sold their Suburban.

EEliason

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wouldn't count on any adult skis fitting in the Bronco. I haven't been able to store skis in an SUV without folding seats since my parents sold their Suburban.
I do leave one backseat down in the Outback to have the skis in there. I'm 6'1" so I'm guessing my skis are about 5' 9". Might be able to find a diagonal that works consistently back there. The easy washout will work well as there's always melt going on.

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do leave one backseat down in the Outback to have the skis in there. I'm 6'1" so I'm guessing my skis are about 5' 9". Might be able to find a diagonal that works consistently back there. The easy washout will work well as there's always melt going on.
Ah that makes much more sense. Mine are probably around the same length so they go on the roof of my Fiesta but can fit in the Santa Fe with one seat down. Will likely be getting a roof rack for the Bronco to carry them.
Sponsored