Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang GT, 2016 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Also see measured dimensions by other members:

Hi All! Was super excited to get my first look at the new Bronco yesterday at one of the Philly area dealership viewings. The biggest goal was to figure out if a 4D could fit my family of 4 plus a dog, and I'm happy to say that mission was accomplished. I also wanted to try the new iPhone's LIDAR scanner in hopes that I could save a good 3d scan then measure whatever dimensions I want later. It worked. So then I scanned my wife's 2016 Subaru Outback for a side by side.

If you want the TL;DR - with the back seats up, the practical loading capacity of the 4D Bronco will be pretty similar to an Outback.

For the rest of you, see below for 3D scan screenshots with a few key dimensions. I tried to be as precise as possible but this was my first go at it, so the measurements aren't gospel and treat them with a few inches of slack. I'd say if there is ~3 inches or more between the Bronco and the Outback dimensions, the difference is probably real and noticeable.

If any of you want to try this at home you need an iPhone 12 Pro, Pro Max, or iPad Pro and the free 3d Scanner App. Would be interested to see how an older Bronco, Wrangler, or 4Runner stack up!

UPDATE: I left a little meat on the bone for a few edges to make sure air gaps or weird curves don’t fool the measurement. So use these more as a relative comparison than precision measurements for cooler or crate fitting.

Without further ado, here are the Bronco vs Outback cargo areas with the seats up:

Ford Bronco 3D Scans + Dimensions of 4-Door Bronco Cargo Area (and vs Outback) 2021 Bronco cargo area dimensions measurements 3D scan 1
Ford Bronco 3D Scans + Dimensions of 4-Door Bronco Cargo Area (and vs Outback) 2021 Bronco cargo area dimensions measurements 3D scan 2

Note: the 29” depth is from tailgate to the base of the hump - NOT to the seatback. Tailgate to base of seatback is more like 34-35”

Outback

Ford Bronco 3D Scans + Dimensions of 4-Door Bronco Cargo Area (and vs Outback) IMG_8755
Ford Bronco 3D Scans + Dimensions of 4-Door Bronco Cargo Area (and vs Outback) IMG_8756

WIDTH: wheel well to wheel well they're even at ~39 inches. The Bronco's sides are flat and clean, while the Subaru has two open nooks on either side behind the wheel intrusions. Those are handy on occasion but in everyday use they don't add much.

LENGTH: the Ouback is noticeably deeper with a 6-7 inch advantage at floor level, but the Bronco has more upright seats and a vertical tailgate. The second shot of the Outback shows how much the seat angle and sloped back window cut into volume. This can be a problem for suitcases and moving boxes. Big items taller than 10-12 inches will fit about the same in both, if not better in the Bronco. You'll notice that the diagonal from the tailgate lip to the top of back seat is 39 inches for the Bronco vs 35 for the Subaru. Those with strollers know why that's important.

HEIGHT: Bronco has the clear edge here. It's 4 inches taller from the floor to the top of the seats and 6 inches from floor to the side windows. In terms of overall height, the floor to roll bar in the Bronco is also 4-6 inches taller, depending on where you measure the Outback's floor to ceiling. Just remember that the infamous step at the end of the Bronco's cargo area is 4 inches tall. If you level it out with the sliding cargo tray or another add-on it will cut the advantage.

OVERALL: with the seats up the 4D Bronco and Outback are more or less equivalent in practical cargo capacity. So it shouldn't have any trouble fitting a stroller and a medium sized dog comfortably in the back since we pull it off regularly with the Subaru.

Bonus: Bronco with the back seats folded down

Ford Bronco 3D Scans + Dimensions of 4-Door Bronco Cargo Area (and vs Outback) 2021 Bronco cargo area dimensions measurements rear seats folded - 3D scan 1
Ford Bronco 3D Scans + Dimensions of 4-Door Bronco Cargo Area (and vs Outback) 2021 Bronco cargo area dimensions measurements rear seats folded - 3D scan 2

I have to admit this was a bit of a letdown. It's only 5 feet from the back door to the edge of the folded seatback, and the diagonal from the back corner to the seatback edge is still only 6 feet. With the front seats pushed up you can eke out a little extra length, but unfortunately the center console is taller than the folded seats so it will interfere with a blowup mattress. I don't show it on these pics but a straight line from the top edge of the console to the tailgate is 5.5 feet.

So car camping will be tight without a tent, especially for a couple. Not a dealbreaker by any means but I was hoping for a little more room. At least this explains why Ford didn't go with the Honda Magic Seat approach: if the cushion flipped forward, it would eat at another 6-8 inches of length.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is awesome. Thank you.

Also, I'd love to see these compared to a 4runner and jeep too.

Last edited:

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you, that's very helpful.

Mama_Dropt_Me

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Surbaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is fantastic. Thanks for posting. There goes the selling point to my wife regarding the Bronco having more cargo space for the dogs over my outback. Oh well, good thing my order is locked and loaded!

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Which app did you use? Can you provide a link? There are several apps available.

This one? https://www.3dscannerapp.com

Prior to the iPhone there were people using the Xbox Kinect for 3D scanning.

I feel we are going to see a jump in AR and VR soon with tools like this.

Last edited:

mr. snuffleupagus

Badlands
First Name
Brandt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

RPF

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Raptor 15 Q70S/5.6 19 F-450 21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Does the iPhone 12 Max also calculate how many head gaskets would fit in the back of an Outback? :ROFLMAO:

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I find the lidar measurements to be ok for ball-parking things, but they aren't very precise. At least yet.

Even so, this is pretty cool thank you

Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for doing this. But a lot of these dimensions are off. Trust me, because I posted the thread with the 100 tape measured dimensions....and also took dimensions of my own outback. The seatback height of the bronco is 25" not 23". The Outback seat height is closer to 18", not 16". The width of the Bronco load floor is 43", and 42.5" at the tailgate, not 39". Etc etc I think the reason why some of your dimensions are understated is due to some curvature where one plane meets another.

EEliason

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So you may be telling me I can't get a pair of my skis in the back of the Bronco :unsure:

Half the winter I have a pair of skis back there. I'll have to figure this one out.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This was what I was afraid of. The floor in the Bronco is 29". The outback is 35. I carry my dog in a crate when we hike or hunt. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to carry the crate lengthwise in the bronco.

So I'll have to borrow my wife's Volvo wagon to go hunting with the dog.

62chad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seen multiple measurements on this...my fridge and slide are 32 inches...