Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good plan. About 20 years ago I tried to teach my wife how to drive a manual transmission. It didn’t go well...
I dont try to explain anything car related to my wife. Waste of time cause it goes in one ear and out the other.
Sponsored

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Some 20 years ago I had the opportunity to go to an event put on by Car & Driver. It was in a parking lot in Arlington, Texas close to Texas Stadium.
I had similar experience back in late 1980’s. Back then, Uniroyal had a wet track autocross tire testing facility near Laredo, TX. I was there to consult on the pavement. But while there one of their drivers offered to drive me around the course. He was an amazing driver. I commented that he was such a good driver that he should race Indy or F1 or something like that. His reply went something like this. “I am probably in the top one-tenth of one percent of all drivers in terms of driving skills. The guys that drive Indy or F1 are in the top one-one thousandth of one percent of all drivers in terms of driving skills.” Nevertheless I will never forget how that guy could speed through curves on wet pavement and maintain pinpoint control. It was very eye opening for me.

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It doesn't matter how much you THINK you know - someone always knows more. Before they offered the free second person was already planning on sending my wife to the off-roadeo. Want her to be just as excited and have the confidence to run trails. I'll spot, doesn't matter to me!
👆 THIS

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

at least we get something like this for free from Ford, beats death wobble IMO ;-p

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The reason I shared that story is this..A stock Bronco's capabilities will far exceed 95% of peoples needs. Even those of us on this forum and I consider most everyone on here an Enthusiast! And the enthusiast's capabilities far exceed the general population, most of which think that a dirt road is "off roading". The Off Roadeo will be geared to the general population and the enthusiast with an open mind will benefit equally. Also keep in mind the uptight Lawyer in the room who had a say in how the Off Roadeo goes, who only see's Bronco's flipping down the side of a hill and all of the lawsuits that will follow!

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The reason I shared that story is this..A stock Bronco's capabilities will far exceed 95% of peoples needs. Even those of us on this forum and I consider most everyone on here an Enthusiast! And the enthusiast's capabilities far exceed the general population, most of which think that a dirt road is "off roading". The Off Roadeo will be geared to the general population and the enthusiast with an open mind will benefit equally. Also keep in mind the uptight Lawyer in the room who had a say in how the Off Roadeo goes, who only see's Bronco's flipping down the side of a hill and all of the lawsuits that will follow!
I fully agree.

The Bronco is much different than the caveman crude truck I wheel. Me teaching my wife how to drive her new Bronco offroad would basically be "all this fancy crap, dunno what it does so just keep it turned off"

She also doesn't have a 15yo beater with a high school kid's ambition to experiment with on how to do things like I did when I started 20+ years ago.

We both plan to go, I expect to learn things too, it looks like Ford is really trying to put effort into the thing.

Plus I have never been to Texas so that is kind of fun too.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think them offering a basic experience for the new Bronco owner is a great thing. If you want something hard core, then this would not be for you.

And now a water crossing pic for attention. I think I could have handled a little deeper water.

Ford Bronco Off Rodeo looks disappointing Water 1

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Off-Roadeo is to familiarize owners with the features and capabilities of their Bronco, it is not a hard core off-road competition or trail ride. There will be drivers of all skill levels attending, you can't expect them to only cater to the most experienced drivers.

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The first time I encountered a water hazard was in NM, coming back from a trip to the mesa. I was in my BroncoII and saw this huge puddle of water after the rain. I went full on dukes of hazard on it and floored it through that puddle. HOLY SHIT!!! The earth went dark, my bronco was covered in thick mud. wipers couldn't even get it off. I made it through but I would say it was a mistake. LOL. 3 runs through the Octopus car wash on the west side got most of the mud off,. But I was shedding dirt for a solid week after that. That was a good time but it woul'dve been nice to have gone through that with more experienced people.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nevertheless I will never forget how that guy could speed through curves on wet pavement and maintain pinpoint control. It was very eye opening for me.
I will never forget the first time I went to a pro motocross race. The local expert/pro riders that normally lap people didn't even finish in the top 30! The talent and abilities that professional racers (of any kind) possess is nothing short of awe inspiring and sometimes downright unbelievable!

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly. I had a lot of fun at the RS Adrenaline Academy in Utah. You get to learn more about the car and how to handle it on the track and then take it through its paces on the track and the "street" course they designed. You get to beat the piss out of a car that isn't yours but kinda is.

People, Ford doesn't have to do this. And, more importantly, YOU don't have to attend this event. If it looks soooooo disappointing to you, don't go.

If you approach everything with lofty expectations, you're gonna be disappointed A LOT. And who's fault is that? (Hint: it's the common denominator)
I agree...it’s funny, everyone is a race car driver until they hit the track, or in this case the trails! lol

Graybs

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It seems unreasonable to me to expect a truly extreme off-roading experience at a corporate-sponsored event. This looks more like an attempt by Ford to introduce some basic off-roading experiences to a broad class of Bronco buyers. For what it is, it looks fun to me.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some 20 years ago I had the opportunity to go to an event put on by Car & Driver. It was in a parking lot in Arlington Texas close to Texas Stadium. They had a course coned off in the parking lot. It was actually sponsored by Cadillac I think. There was a CTS-V, M3, another Cadillac I can't remember, and I believe a 328. the idea was to compare the Cadillacs to BMW. I went into this thinking, I race motocross, had a couple street bikes, A fast car or two...I got this! Holy Batshit Batman!!! I couldn't have been more wrong! So you didn't get to drive them alone, first you rode with the instructor, he laid down the rules gave pointers etc... then I drove. When I got to drive, the instructor said floor it so I did, the whole time he's saying stay in it stay in it, this corner is fast approaching, I'm thinking holy shit!!! Then at the point I'm thinking we're doomed he says brake hard, so I hammer the brakes and make the turn...It was an unbelievable experience! Very humbling! The capability of those cars far exceeded mine!
Took an advanced pursuit class. Most vehicles are far more capable than the drivers...