Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sure there's a degree of respect involved in the hopes of preserving a relationship that both sides have invested heavily in. There's also a chance that this would lead to civil action, in which case Ford will be careful about what is disclosed.

Same as all the other info I've shared along the way... friends in engineering and production on this project.
I have a contract for engineering services on a large manufacturing facility (vehicle part). I know those contracts are air tight and Ford would probably have one stricter than the one I’m involved in. There is a lot of language about lost revenue. I’m sure Webasto is on the hook for mucho dinero in Ford lost revenue.

mylittlepony

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wrangler / 09 TC Series 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Now that today's news is out there....

Within the last 6 weeks, Ford engineers were dispatched en mass to the Webasto plant in Plymouth to troubleshoot issues with factory output. In the time since, Ford has effectively assumed operational control of the plant and are working to resolve the issue under threat of vacating the contract entirely.

Some MAP employees have spent their shutdown time over in Plymouth trying to get things moving.

The "additional millions to resolve supply chain issues" in today's messaging specifically references the major rework Ford is paying for at the facility.

The good news is that the early quality concerns have been completely addressed, as the assemblies currently coming out meet all the agreed upon standards. However, both the physical setup of the plant itself and a toxic, disorganized management culture are severely limiting output of product and onboarding of employees.

The ship is being righted but it won't be fully resolved in the near term.

Source: same as all the other info I've shared along the way... friends in engineering and production on this project.
do they also mfg the mod-top??

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My post from a couple of or few weeks ago.............I predict that Webasto will not be the sole producer of tops in the next year or two.Ford will not continue to allow their production,profits,and customer satisfaction largely to be determined by one supplier.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So if I can still do basic math at my age... 1967+2021-quality tops= no OKTB? 🤔
Three factors have delayed issuing OKTB:
- Webasto issues were unresolved.
- Linespeed inconsistencies prior to shutdown.
- Something else I can't discuss but believe has been resolved.

I expect OKTB within a week or two of the restart.

OP
OP
PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Alfabeast

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Giulia Q4 Sport Ti, 1983 Alfa GTV6 2.5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well now that’s news. Thank you!

Why couldn’t Ford say that?

I’m sticking with my MIC with the assumption that the country’s largest vehicle manufacturer can fix this problem (hopefully soon) in the next month or two.
Exactly - why couldn't they fess up vs the long winded BS in that letter. Oh heck, just answering my own question. Typical corporate shine-ola wordsmithing - they love sniffing each other's butts ... I'm car shopping tomorrow, in stock vehicles only. Will take a look at the Sport, Subie, and VW Tiguan. Still keeping the rez if this ever comes in I know I will prefer that.

It's not going to be solved that quick - maybe 6 months.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Does Ford or Webasto own the tooling?
Webasto, but with some heavy contractual stipulations. I believe everything that Ford is currently funding will be their own (and leverage should the contract continue).

CaliforniaBurrito

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is too little too late. Don't know why Ford waited so long and can't believe this top fiasco has gone on as long as it has. It really is unbelievable for a major auto manufacturer to put up with the disaster Webasto has been.

What are we realistically talking though? Are they going to be up to 400+ MIC tops a day?

Carbon Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 U15 Bronco New Lime 302ci
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Three factors have delayed issuing OKTB:
- Webasto issues were unresolved.
- Linespeed inconsistencies prior to shutdown.
- Something else I can't discuss but believe has been resolved.

I expect OKTB within a week or two of the restart.
They found a Potato stuck in the machinery?:cool:

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Now that today's news is out there....

Within the last 6 weeks, Ford engineers were dispatched en mass to the Webasto plant in Plymouth to troubleshoot issues with factory output. In the time since, Ford has effectively assumed operational control of the plant and are working to resolve the issue under threat of vacating the contract entirely.

Some MAP employees have spent their shutdown time over in Plymouth trying to get things moving.

The "additional millions to resolve supply chain issues" in today's messaging specifically references the major rework Ford is paying for at the facility.

The good news is that the early quality concerns have been completely addressed, as the assemblies currently coming out meet all the agreed upon standards. However, both the physical setup of the plant itself and a toxic, disorganized management culture are severely limiting output of product and onboarding of employees.

The ship is being righted but it won't be fully resolved in the near term.

Source: same as all the other info I've shared along the way... friends in engineering and production on this project.
Sounds like a salesman at Webasto wrote a check the company couldn't cash. This is the same kind of thing GT Advanced Technologies did to Apple with Sapphire for the watch faces. Apple ended up taking control of GT and liquidating everything.