First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrek 2023
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My dealer is super and their Parts and Service really go out of the way to help me with setting up my Bronco. We really had a tough time getting a OEM roof rack for my Wildtrak. Apparently the Ford supplier is having problems with getting parts. Finally, yesterday, my dealer was able to snag one from another dealer. Is this supply chain issue ever going to get resolved?
Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was thinking of using my Fordpass points to reduce the cost of an OEM roof rack. Looking online things appear on backorder, so your experience backs that up. Are you installing yourself or having the dealer do it?

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Iā€™m not convinced it is a ā€œsupply chain issueā€.

I import from overseas semi-regularly for my business. And indeed, back during the Covid scareā€¦I personally experienced the ā€œsupply chain issueā€ problem first-hand and it sucked. Delays at the factories. Delays at the docks. Delays at customs. Trouble finding a trucker. All that shit you read about in the news..

But for the past year now - things have gone pretty much back to normal. I have been running this business for over 20 years and there is always random ā€œdelaysā€ here and there for odd reasons. But from what I see, ā€œSupply chainā€ problems now are on par to what Iā€™d normally see pre-pandemic.

Seems like these days - that phrase is just a bullshit justification everybody has seized upon to explain away incompetance and poor business management.

Not doing a good enough job keeping up inventory? Supply chain. Trouble retaining employees? Yeah, supply chain. Too cheap to invest in the infrastructure of your business? That damn supply chain. Wife finds out you knocked up your secretary? Yupā€¦you guessed itā€¦ā€itā€™s that fā€™ing supply chain problem!ā€

Iā€˜m not privy to all Fordā€™s internal problems - but anytime I hear some company blame ā€œthe supply chainā€ these days Iā€™m always look at them sideways and cast a suspicious eye.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™m not convinced it is a ā€œsupply chain issueā€.

I import from overseas semi-regularly for my business. And indeed, back during the Covid scareā€¦I personally experienced the ā€œsupply chain issueā€ problem first-hand and it sucked. Delays at the factories. Delays at the docks. Delays at customs. Trouble finding a trucker. All that shit you read about in the news..

But for the past year now - things have gone pretty much back to normal. I have been running this business for over 20 years and there is always random ā€œdelaysā€ here and there for odd reasons. But from what I see, ā€œSupply chainā€ problems now are on par to what Iā€™d normally see pre-pandemic.

Seems like these days - that phrase is just a bullshit justification everybody has seized upon to explain away incompetance and poor business management.

Not doing a good enough job keeping up inventory? Supply chain. Trouble retaining employees? Yeah, supply chain. Too cheap to invest in the infrastructure of your business? That damn supply chain. Wife finds out you knocked up your secretary? Yupā€¦you guessed itā€¦ā€itā€™s that fā€™ing supply chain problem!ā€

Iā€˜m not privy to all Fordā€™s internal problems - but anytime I hear some company blame ā€œthe supply chainā€ these days Iā€™m always look at them sideways and cast a suspicious eye.
Yep it's not all simply supply chain issues, there are other things in play:

"Dealers and automakers have found some real benefits to having less inventory ā€” in terms of profits, margins, being able to plan a little bit better and not having to spend so much on incentives" - Edmunds
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/loans/auto-loans/when-will-the-car-market-return-to-normal

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was thinking of using my Fordpass points to reduce the cost of an OEM roof rack. Looking online things appear on backorder, so your experience backs that up. Are you installing yourself or having the dealer do it?
I used my Ford Pass points to buy an OEM roof rack, well I ordered one. The person at the parts counter said it was on back order until February and that there was along line of people in front of me. Always waiting....

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pjblues

Wildtrak
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrek 2023
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am an older person and am going to have the dealer do it. I am also having the 40 inch lightbar installed. I will never go off-road, but, having a problem with my eyes at night driving country roads.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am an older person and am going to have the dealer do it. I am also having the 40 inch lightbar installed. I will never go off-road, but, having a problem with my eyes at night driving country roads.

Me too. Old eyes, that is. But beware above the windshield mounted light bars. Installed one on my Wrangler back in the day when they first started becoming popular. Loved the look! Hated turning it on.

Yes - they throw out about half as much light as the sun - but the glare off the hood nullifies half of that and is annoying AF. I wonā€™t say useless, but I did avoid using it because of that.

Lights mounted in front of the hood will give you much better night visibility.

LABlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ on 37" SSRs and 2010 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's why I ordered mine with it. No constraint at all. Plus, it was $350 vs $850. So I heard it was hard to get from dealer and the cost was also more than double. The only thing I passed on was the tube doors. They were quite expensive to order with the vehicle, but the MY22.5 price went up dramatically. I feel ok with it still though, since they wouldn't be used once or twice a year tops. Weather is too unpredictable in south Louisiana. I need to remove the rack until we need it. I'm not a fan of the looks of it, other than it makes my bronco that much more different, in my area.

A51Asheville

Black Diamond
First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Sas Mid Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As someone who works in Supply Chain Transportation I can attest that things have gotten better but manufacturers and distributors are still feeling the burn from the supply chain disruptions from 2020. The problem with Supply chain is that, when part of the chain gets interrupted it causes a bullwhip effect that has a rolling impact on the different points in the chain. Is it the only factor? No. Is it still a valid talking point? you betcha dontcha know. Until we go to a mostly domestic production and supply system we will always see periods of delay with stuff coming rom Asia and other parts of the world (Shanghai, Korea, India, etc. have some of the largest volume exporting ports in the world.) Considering that it is also Chinese New Year, expect to see some more rolling delays on imported materials and products. This happens annually and because CNY is basically the only holiday the Chinese working class gets to take off time from work for, it has a big factor in the supply chain.

OP
OP

Pjblues

Wildtrak
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrek 2023
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As someone who works in Supply Chain Transportation I can attest that things have gotten better but manufacturers and distributors are still feeling the burn from the supply chain disruptions from 2020. The problem with Supply chain is that, when part of the chain gets interrupted it causes a bullwhip effect that has a rolling impact on the different points in the chain. Is it the only factor? No. Is it still a valid talking point? you betcha dontcha know. Until we go to a mostly domestic production and supply system we will always see periods of delay with stuff coming rom Asia and other parts of the world (Shanghai, Korea, India, etc. have some of the largest volume exporting ports in the world.) Considering that it is also Chinese New Year, expect to see some more rolling delays on imported materials and products. This happens annually and because CNY is basically the only holiday the Chinese working class gets to take off time from work for, it has a big factor in the supply chain.
I took come out of the Operations side of a Fortune 100 corporation and agree with you. As a retiree, it is even tougher to take when you want to purchase something. Thanks.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pjblues

Wildtrak
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrek 2023
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That's why I ordered mine with it. No constraint at all. Plus, it was $350 vs $850. So I heard it was hard to get from dealer and the cost was also more than double. The only thing I passed on was the tube doors. They were quite expensive to order with the vehicle, but the MY22.5 price went up dramatically. I feel ok with it still though, since they wouldn't be used once or twice a year tops. Weather is too unpredictable in south Louisiana. I need to remove the rack until we need it. I'm not a fan of the looks of it, other than it makes my bronco that much more different, in my area.
You're right, the cost is high to install after the fact. I just took my Bronco in and it is supposed to be done tomorrow. I am having the roof rack, Rigid lightbar, and pillar lights installed. This is going to be a big add in pricing.

Tippster

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just got back from my dealer here in Seattle - they wont even commit to a February date for when this will be off backorder - they told me they cannot even give me an. estimate so getting any date like a February date - seems like good news to me.

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What you also have to consider is most accessories are distributed by an Accessory Distribution Company even if it's a "Ford" Accessory that is put on at the factory. There are really about 2 main Accessory Distribution Companies in the U.S. (and manufacturers like Ford and GM make deals with one or the other) and the accessories are sent to them and they get them to the dealers. So it could also be that they didn't order enough and most likely we are competing with Ford themself. It's why you see such drastic price differences of adding it to your order and when you buy as an accessory from the dealer and/or Ford's accessory website.

Parts and supplies are a different story.

OP
OP

Pjblues

Wildtrak
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrek 2023
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What you also have to consider is most accessories are distributed by an Accessory Distribution Company even if it's a "Ford" Accessory that is put on at the factory. There are really about 2 main Accessory Distribution Companies in the U.S. (and manufacturers like Ford and GM make deals with one or the other) and the accessories are sent to them and they get them to the dealers. So it could also be that they didn't order enough and most likely we are competing with Ford themself. It's why you see such drastic price differences of adding it to your order and when you buy as an accessory from the dealer and/or Ford's accessory website.

Parts and supplies are a different story.
Thanks for the heads up on the distribution company. Seems logical.
Sponsored