ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I was just using it as an off hand reference to a vehicle with a defect that prevents basic function, rather than a technical or legal definition.
Gotcha. Some folks might get it confused though. Then it gets escalated... And chairs and flames happen. Well COULD happen. But this internet is civilized so it PROBABLY wouldn't. 🤣
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So I rewatched - he put it into mud and ruts and rear locker and continued on for a while with some normal trail scraping, and through a few puddles, then got sort of stuck on a hill.

Agree - my first instinct would be to shut it off for a few minutes and let the computer reset, and then if still getting errors look underneath for damage. What he chose to get up the hill was fine from there.

I didn’t see anything he did to cause a computer freak out.

Not good - but maybe just something loose [edit: loose enough connector down by the transfer case to get wet and then dry off on the highway 🤷‍♂️].

Also, WTF with one lined top panel?

Last edited:

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I rewatched - he put it into mud and ruts and rear locker and continued on for a while with some normal trail scraping, and through a few puddles, then got sort of stuck on a hill.

Agree - my first instinct would be to shut it off for a few minutes and let the computer reset, and then if still getting errors look underneath for damage. What he chose to get up the hill was fine from there.

I didn’t see anything he did to cause a computer freak out.

Not good - but maybe just something loose [edit: loose enough connector down by the transfer case to get wet and then dry off on the highway 🤷‍♂️].

Also, WTF with one lined top panel?
Just noticed that as well.
He's in Mud/Ruts mode when he reverses, then gets the warnings.

What's interesting is that when he shifts into 4L and engaged the locker, he's back in Normal Mode. I didn't notice him changing the GOAT mode at any point. That makes me think that when the system threw the warning about ABS and AdvanceTrac, it also switched him back to Normal. That would make sense if a key feature of the mode he's in is having issues (traction control).

My guess is either a software/sensor issue making the system think there's a problem (at which point some features are automatically disabled), or there an issue with the brakes impacting ABS/traction control.

Either is very possible. And since he didn't try to really troubleshoot, no way to tell.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For starters, this has nothing to do with GOAT modes, so the title is misleading. He's in Normal mode the entire time.

Did hear a couple of odd noises, but no way to really tell what they were.

So he's driving off-road (appears to be in 2H) and gets both an ABS and AdvaceTrac service warning. And his immediate reaction is to ignore the warnings, shift into 4L, engage the Front Locker, and then keep going.
Correction: Engaged the Rear Locker.

My first instinct would be to try and rule out a software issue. Shift into park, shutoff the engine, wait a few second, start back up. See if you're still getting the warnings. If so, then either get out and inspect for any damage or get back to the pavement and get somewhere you can have it checked out.

So could be software, could be sensors, could be issues with the rear brakes (the only mechanical issues we heard about from some of the big events was a rare problem with Trail Turn Assist), could just be a fluke.

No real way to tell based on the video.
if i am not mistaken, when you engage the rear locker manually, it overrides the goat mode dial control. if the manual locker control is anything like toyota's system, it will deactivate the TCS, and ABS system, illuminating the lights. this seems like it may be a bit more operator error. i love to read the owner's manual before i engage in any risky behavior with my vehicles....

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some people think its user error but let me ask you this - if doing something as simple as what this video shows has the ability to cause the truck to have this many problems.. That's still a fault of the vehicle. If you can potentially be stranded over the order you engage lockers/4wd, that's not exactly a reliable vehicle even if the user is ultimately to blame for doing the operation out of order. If you're going to use so many electronic nanny systems, you need to make sure they don't harm the operators experience. They should compliment, not override.

In this case, some poor soccer mom or millennial is going to get stranded down a dirt road because they didn't bother to read a 550 page manual front to back.

Not good.

I'm a huge fanboy. Reserved within 90 minutes of launch.. Probably have annoyed most of you already around here. The point is, this ain't good. I dunno what it is.. but it's not good. Major red flag IMO. Fixable, but.. eesh.

With that said, I'm FAR more concerned with the quality of that hard top over the hiccup off-road. WTF.. Loose fiberglass fibers floating in the air every time you hit a hard bump is a major health hazard.

I have a vin and a hypothetical build date within 30 days and this is the first time I'm concerned over the Bronco.

Sponsored

Amcap76

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250, 2019 GT-350, 2004 Jeep LJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

video is about owner observations with the usual comments you've seen numerous times .... watch it from about minute 17

Any opinions on this?
My opinion is there’s way too much tech in this rig. Ford should have offered a true base model with manual hubs, transfer case, etc.

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Its definitely not an anomaly, or a fluke, and I also don't think its mechanical even if there was some minor damage underneath ..... My bet is that its software related ..... but its not good if the computer gets all jammed up cuz of mode selections. I mean you're supposed to be able to select all those modes on the fly, aren't you? I can see if you have to stop and change the locker settings but the rest SHOULD be able to change on the fly.

btw, does anyone know if "turn assist" works in reverse?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yeah—after all the ride along videos and switching GOAT modes at speed, turnign lockers on and off, etc. and this not happening—leads me to believe it's not software (at least properly loaded software): there is more than the top wrong with this new Bronco.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My opinion is there’s way too much tech in this rig. Ford should have offered a true base model with manual hubs, transfer case, etc.
See - your saying exactly what the Jeep guys are saying: "That's what happens when you have all that tech..."

I happen to agree. K.I.S.S. However all the videos we've seen and this hasn't happened.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

In my opinion, the G.O.A.T. modes are for marketing, and to upsell us. In the real world you put it in 4wd when you want to, put it in low range when you want to, turn on the locker or lockers when you want to. No one with a small amount of off road driving experience is even going to mess with them. Since the ABS light is on, it is almost certainly a problem with a wheel speed sensor and not a software issue. Brand new car, one of the first off the assembly line, not surprising and kind of comes with the territory. Let's not go to internet freak out mode.

And, I'd be going up that slightly rocky and slightly rutted almost flat road at 20 mph. :D:D;)

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If, as others have said, he was in 2wd, the Stabiitrac would have certainly been unhappy with the terrain and flashed that it was not able to control the yaw and slipping, it thought it was on a smooth ish surface. That would disable the ABS immediately as it thought it had a fault. The anti collision stuff might have been active and activating the antilock brakes prior to that (the grinding noise). In essence, the truck might have thought it had multiple faults and set the warning flags as the sensors were indicating a crash was in progress, locking out a GOAT mode change. Just my theory, I don't think there is any problem aside from perhaps a calibration difficulty based on the settings he chose and the terrain not matching what the truck was expecting. All the helper monkey aids are less than worthless if the trail requirements are outside the expected parameters.

Again, just my musings that the trail was easy enough mechanically to not take it out of 2wd street mode, but just outside of what the computer was calibrated to deal with unless in an off-road mode or having a hero switch engaged. (My assumption being that a GOAT or Hero activation tweaks the crash sensors, ABS, and Stabilitrac systems)

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Some people think its user error but let me ask you this - if doing something as simple as what this video shows has the ability to cause the truck to have this many problems.. That's still a fault of the vehicle. If you can potentially be stranded over the order you engage lockers/4wd, that's not exactly a reliable vehicle even if the user is ultimately to blame for doing the operation out of order. If you're going to use so many electronic nanny systems, you need to make sure they don't harm the operators experience. They should compliment, not override.

In this case, some poor soccer mom or millennial is going to get stranded down a dirt road because they didn't bother to read a 550 page manual front to back.

Not good.

I'm a huge fanboy. Reserved within 90 minutes of launch.. Probably have annoyed most of you already around here. The point is, this ain't good. I dunno what it is.. but it's not good. Major red flag IMO. Fixable, but.. eesh.

With that said, I'm FAR more concerned with the quality of that hard top over the hiccup off-road. WTF.. Loose fiberglass fibers floating in the air every time you hit a hard bump is a major health hazard.

I have a vin and a hypothetical build date within 30 days and this is the first time I'm concerned over the Bronco.
don't you need to have the darwin awards before you know there is a problem... how long was it before seatbelts were mandatory safety equipment is cars? but then again this is why less than 1% of new vehicles sold in the united states is equipped with a manual transmission...

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not good.

Ditto this. I too am a fanboy from way back, but if nanny systems prevent me from intuitively operating vehicle systems I will not be happy.

Just sold my Jeep LJ and while never in love with it, it served it's purpose. I hope I don't end up wishing for that old yank a lever transfer case.

I've had a few Ford ESOF 4x4's and they work fine 95% of the time. When they have been glitchy I've figured it out and got them to work. My son's Tacoma SOF is pretty glitchy, it has to be moving to engage 4x4 (very slowly to get 4L) and the afore mentioned ABS sensor issue. Not good if your stuck. With tech things should get better, not worse.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
K.I.S.S. However all the videos we've seen and this hasn't happened.
Pro drivers....prolly individually trained by Ford engineers. Too many controls....almost like trying to fly the Space Shuttle

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If, as others have said, he was in 2wd, the Stabiitrac would have certainly been unhappy with the terrain and flashed that it was not able to control the yaw and slipping, it thought it was on a smooth ish surface. That would disable the ABS immediately as it thought it had a fault. The anti collision stuff might have been active and activating the antilock brakes prior to that (the grinding noise). In essence, the truck might have thought it had multiple faults and set the warning flags as the sensors were indicating a crash was in progress, locking out a GOAT mode change. Just my theory, I don't think there is any problem aside from perhaps a calibration difficulty based on the settings he chose and the terrain not matching what the truck was expecting. All the helper monkey aids are less than worthless if the trail requirements are outside the expected parameters.

Again, just my musings that the trail was easy enough mechanically to not take it out of 2wd street mode, but just outside of what the computer was calibrated to deal with unless in an off-road mode or having a hero switch engaged. (My assumption being that a GOAT or Hero activation tweaks the crash sensors, ABS, and Stabilitrac systems)
Decent theory.

But an off road vehicle should be calibrated to drive off road, even if we don't chose a dedicated off road mode. I will usually drive in 2wd, unlocked high range unless sustained conditions dictate 4wd, locker or low range.
Sponsored