Sponsored

I still remember Ford took no 2008 bailout and I will finally reward them...

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've generally not been a Ford fan but they hit a homerun with this bronco. I've had 3 wranglers and loved them (2000 TJ my fav, also had a 2013 JKUS auto and 2015 JKUR manual) but I never bought a JL because it was 50k+ for just very basic items. The bronco's standard items are at least included in the base model. Also, the bronco fixed many of the dislikes I had with the wrangler. Great job!
Sponsored

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

welcome. I generally dislike FCA...but do like a lot of stuff from all makers. I do like the wrangler for the fact it kept the idea alive. I like the challenger and charger but Iike the mustang more. I like Corvette and well maybe that is it from GM at the moment...I even like some Asian autos and was very close to going Benz when we got our Escape titanium...still want the baby c class AMG....

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
https://www.thebalance.com/auto-industry-bailout-gm-ford-chrysler-3305670

Although Ford did not receive TARP funds, it did receive government loans.4 These were critical because banks were not lending during the financial crisis. It requested a $9 billion line-of-credit from the government. In return, it pledged to spend $14 billion on new technologies.

On June 23, 2009, Ford received a $5.9 billion loan from the Energy Department's Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing program. In return, it pledged to accelerate the development of both hybrid and battery-powered vehicles, close dealerships, and sell Volvo. It upgraded factories in Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, and Ohio to produce hybrid vehicles.28
The "bailout" money wasn't just free dollars, it was given in the form of loans that were to be paid back. The TARP loans given to GM were repaid (with interest) by 2010. Chrysler repaid most of their loans back and the treasury sold their remaining shares to Fiat. That left Chrysler about $1.3 billion in the hole.

So Ford took government money and paid it back, as did GM. Chrysler repaid all but 10% of what they were given.

Sponsored

MT/SFA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F250 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The "bailout" money wasn't just free dollars, it was given in the form of loans that were to be paid back. The TARP loans given to GM were repaid (with interest) by 2010. Chrysler repaid most of their loans back and the treasury sold their remaining shares to Fiat. That left Chrysler about $1.3 billion in the hole.

So Ford took government money and paid it back, as did GM. Chrysler repaid all but 10% of what they were given.
Well, it was free money from the share holders because if you owned the stock when GM went bankrupt you lost everything, I lost about 10K total. Meanwhile my Ford shares still have value today. I will never buy another GM product again.

Jp215

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So that article mentions ford mortgaging assets and selling Volvo. But it didn’t mention the had also sold Land Rover , Jaguar, Aston Martin, and it’s shares of Mazda

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So Ford did it the buisiness as usual way and everybody else ran to daddy for more money when they blew rent on concert tickets.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So Ford did it the buisiness as usual way and everybody else ran to daddy for more money when they blew rent on concert tickets.
Ford went to Daddy and complained that he was giving everyone else money for ice cream, and it wouldn't be fair if they had to buy their own ice cream. So Daddy gave Ford ice cream money, too. Ford and GM paid it all back.

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reading through some of the article you are quoting, it doesn't seem like it is a cut and dried as you seem to make it. Yes, it appears that the loan by GM was paid back (apparently some of the money came from another TARP Loan), but the taxpayers seemed to have lost 10.2 billion in the deal.
Ford Bronco I still remember Ford took no 2008 bailout and I will finally reward them... Bailout.JPG

Am I missing something?

Sponsored

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're right - when billions of dollars are involved, it's not cut and dried. My whole point was that we shouldn't fawn over Ford for some supposed moral high ground when they still took government money.
Ok, I gotcha. I really didn't know where all this stood until you posted the article. I also didn't know that Ford had gotten involved in the bailout although in a much smaller scale than the other 2.
Good info!

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're right - when billions of dollars are involved, it's not cut and dried. My whole point was that we shouldn't fawn over Ford for some supposed moral high ground when they still took government money.
Except GM took the money AND screwed shareholders. What Ford did was demonstrably different.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Credit took $15.9B in loans from the TALF fund. It wasn't the TARP program like GM and Chrysler. But they did, in fact, borrow money from the federal government during that time.