Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This version of it is only going to work with the Standard bumper and not the Capable or Mod Bumper. This mounts at the tow hook location of the standard bumper, which are below the bumper (lower than ACC). The Capable and Mod bumper have shackles/hooks in a different location, they are directly to the right/left of the ACC:

Bumpers.jpg
Standard bumper only I got my bumper names mixed up.
Sponsored

HardenUp

First Edition
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Awesome design but I get what everyone is saying about RC quality and approach angle. However, Iā€™m gonna look cool as hell picking up my kids from school. Donā€™t hateā€¦just wish it was compatible with the Mod bumper.

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmmm...looks OK to me...
old_blue_apr_2018.jpg
Iā€™d say thereā€™s a substantial amount of people that will be buying winches simply because they look ā€œsuper cool and off roadyā€ without having an actual clue on how to use them or ever being in a position where they would need to.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is the underside with the skid removed:

bumper1.jpg

There isn't a lot of room down there, IMO this was the only reasonable place you'd have space to fit a winch :(
Darn. What engine/trans do you have? Tow package? Maybe additional cooling for some configurations.

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Awesome design but I get what everyone is saying about RC quality and approach angle. However, Iā€™m gonna look cool as hell picking up my kids from school. Donā€™t hateā€¦just wish it was compatible with the Mod bumper.
They are working on that as another part number. I'm not keen on the cutting to the frame, etc that needs to be done for this part number. Let's see what the Modular compatible part number looks like.

Sponsored

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Darn. What engine/trans do you have? Tow package? Maybe additional cooling for some configurations.
Turbo intercooler?

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From another past winch thread:
SafariJeff said:
I had front bumper mount winch's and never liked the 1. weight on the front, 2. UV hitting the rope, 3. dirt and grim accumulating in the gearing, and most of all 4. 50% of the time I needed to winch, it was from the rear...
Here is what I stuck with on the 19 Rubicon that will transfer over to the Bronco (if I ever get it, out to 2023 now with the painted top): And yes, I just picked up my buddies 2019 Rubicon since I was pushing 150K on my BMW X5, also no sales tax on a private in sale in Nevada, so whenever we get Demo Bronco's to even sit in they will have to be beautiful, my Wildtrak order is still on hold for a non-sandstone interior and a painted top.
https://www.etrailer.com/p-65079.html?hhyear=2019&hhmake=Jeep&hhmodel=Wrangler+Unlimited
https://www.4wd.com/p/smittybilt-winch-cradle-2811/_/R-DSBP-2811
Then pick any winch you want and load it in the back in the cradle and if needed, attach it to the receivers in the front OR back.
Thank you!!! Fantastic answer! Truly THE solution I will implement. Stow the winch in inside my Bronco, and only mount it on the front or rear bumper as required for a recovery situation...Kinetic rope, gear, and winch all stowed and available as required. Meanwhile my gear is 100% out of the weather and Oregon drug addicts view.

Shinoko

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Badlands Sasquatch 2.7 10 speed tow package

Turbo intercooler?
I thought the intercooler was further up, where the ACC sensor is, so I don't think it is that, but could be mistaken.

From another past winch thread:

Thank you!!! Fantastic answer! Truly THE solution I will implement. Stow the winch in inside my Bronco, and only mount it on the front or rear bumper as required for a recovery situation...Kinetic rope, gear, and winch all stowed and available as required. Meanwhile my gear is 100% out of the weather and Oregon drug addicts view.
This won't work with the skid plate in the way. It'll also screw up approach angles and seems like it would bash into things readily. Unless you are just using a winch around the farm or in the snow, I don't really think this is a viable option for wheeling.

That said, I did debate on running a removable one from the rear hitch. I didn't want to deal with wiring it, though, running 2ga from the battery all the way back sounds unpleasant. I was also curious how practical it was in use, when it seems like a lot of the times people winch around here is up steep sections, which having it rear only would be totally useless.

If the ford option wasn't so expensive, I'd try it and set up the winch to be removable for when I was wheeling vs driving around town. It only attaches with four bolts and the plate could be removed with the winch, but at 3k, hard pass on that.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Badlands Sasquatch 2.7 10 speed tow package
Apparently it is the transmission cooler for the 2.7L. The 2.3L cooler is reportedly attached to the tranny instead. The hidden winch will probably only work with the 2.3L engine...

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Apparently it is the transmission cooler for the 2.7L. The 2.3L cooler is reportedly attached to the tranny instead. The hidden winch will probably only work with the 2.3L engine...
Another reaaon why the auto trans is useless and should be ashamed of itself.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I went ahead and pulled my skid off and took some photos. I see no way this is going to fit on mine, but it also makes me wonder if they tested this on a dramatically different build that had nothing to do with the frame mounts. There is some sort of heat exchanger mounted to the frame (possibly for the diffs?) in place of where the winch should mount.

If you compare the photos, this isn't in their photographs or instructions.

bumper1.jpg

You can see here what i'm referring to. On either side of it are the tabs they want you to cut off. If you look at the install instructions, this heat exchanger or whatever it is, is not present (https://s3.amazonaws.com/roughcountry/install/921510540.pdf, see photos 5 and 6). I think this is where the winch is supposed to sit, but clearly there is no room for it without dramatically reducing clearance.
bumper3_exchanger.jpg

I suppose it's possible this was relocated in builds with the plastic bumper, but I find that unlikely.

There isn't a lot of room down there, IMO this was the only reasonable place you'd have space to fit a winch :(
Do you have the towing package?!? Because that's a transmission oil cooler.

Nevermind, yes you do. Ooops. So if that's the case, I have to decide on what I am going to do about that cooler being in the way. Grrr!

AZBronco73

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands SAS, 2015 Dodge Durango
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went ahead and pulled my skid off and took some photos. I see no way this is going to fit on mine, but it also makes me wonder if they tested this on a dramatically different build that had nothing to do with the frame mounts. There is some sort of heat exchanger mounted to the frame (possibly for the diffs?) in place of where the winch should mount.

If you compare the photos, this isn't in their photographs or instructions.

bumper1.jpg

You can see here what i'm referring to. On either side of it are the tabs they want you to cut off. If you look at the install instructions, this heat exchanger or whatever it is, is not present (https://s3.amazonaws.com/roughcountry/install/921510540.pdf, see photos 5 and 6). I think this is where the winch is supposed to sit, but clearly there is no room for it without dramatically reducing clearance.
bumper3_exchanger.jpg

I suppose it's possible this was relocated in builds with the plastic bumper, but I find that unlikely.

Now I am really curious... Is this cooler addition due to the 2.7 vs 2.3, or is it because of the tow package? I know a base 2.3 with no tow package does not have it because 1 Five 1 garage just posted a video of them replacing the factory standard bumper on their 2.3 with no tow and it definitely did not have that cooler there.

Anyone have a 2.3 with the tow package that could pop their skid plate off and take a look?

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just took these photos yesterday of the factory winch setup. Terrible.

I'm interested in this rough country setup, but I'm curious of the winch quality. Anyone?

Also, are you guys allowing local pickup yet?
20210929_154342.jpg
OMG that's Fugly... It's like they went, " Oh shit we forgot to leave space to fit a winch, no problem we will just add a shelf on the bumper and put the winch on it "
:sick:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OMG that's Fugly... It's like they went, " Oh shit we forgot to leave space to fit a winch, no problem we will just add a shelf on the bumper and put the winch on it "
:sick:
Exactly, and then they went a put a liquid to liquid heat exchanger exactly where you would want to put a winch!!! WTF Ford. Oh, well, just a small thing to overcome, I am pleased to see an external transmission cooler - so it's not all bad news.

nminus1

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Duramax, Trailblazer, and Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Another, more affordable for winch mount for those in the market.

2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054

1633036438005.png

2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount Features:
  • Adds clean, low-profile winch mounting and protection
  • Compete winch mount and skid plate kit
  • High and tight install under the stock bumper
  • Compatible with Rough Country 9500S and 12000S winches
  • Requires minor frame trimming for installation
  • Comes with install hardware and instructions
  • Will not fit Bronco Sport
Adds a Clean, Low-Profile Mount for Rough Country's Winches on your 2021 Bronco
The 2021 Broncos may be able to hit the dirt and the trails straight off the showroom floor, but tackling tough terrain without a good plan B and a good recovery solution is never a good idea. The Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount Kit for 2021 Broncos gives your aggressive, off-road Bronco build some extra protection and an extremely clean, low-profile mounting solution for one of Rough Country's high-quality winches or similarly-sized winches. The Rough Country Bronco Hidden Winch Mount tucks tight under your 2021 Bronco's front bumper and features a cutout for a fairlead and is even compatible with Rough Country's Tow Hook Shackle Conversion kit so that you get a bunch of different recovery options. Each mount and skit plate has an awesome, angular design that gives your 2021 Bronco a vicious, tough look that is sure to turn some heads. The winch mount includes an integrated skid plate to replace the factory guard panel and installs using a combination of the stock mounting mounting points and included hardware, though some frame trimming is required for final installation. Complete Winch Mount Kit with Integrated Skid Plate made from Powder Coated Steel
The Rough Country Bronco Hidden Winch Mount is built extremely tough so that it can handle and survive tough off-road and overland applications without letting you down. Both the winch mount and the skid plate are made entirely out of steel and come topped off with a textured black powder coat finish that keeps them protected from corrosion in almost any climate and application. The skid plate comes with laser-cut "RC" lettering that gives the entire kit a great look. The winch mount was designed to work with Rough Country's 9500S winch or Rough Country's 1200S winch with synthetic ropes. The winch plate features a standard 10x4.5" bolt pattern, and other winches of similar dimensions to Rough Country's winches may fit. The Rough Country winch mount requires some frame cutting for installation and comes with install hardware and instructions.

Fitment:
  • 2021 Bronco 4-Door
  • 2021 Bronco 2-Door

Will only fit Broncos with tow hooks: this kit will only fit 2021 Bronco models with OEM tow hooks.
Will not fit Bronco Sports: this hidden winch kit will not fit Bronco Sports.

More photos:

1633036438005.png

2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 10.jpeg

2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 9.jpeg
2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 7.jpeg

2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 6.jpeg

2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 5.jpeg

2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 4.jpeg

2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 3.jpeg

2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 2.jpeg

2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 1.jpeg

2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 12.jpeg
Love that they used either a base of base grill. Bad looking mofo!!
Sponsored