Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW: '07 328xi, '13 X1, '75 R90/6, '12 R1200GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I purchased a third, blank, OEM key and fob. Found the programming instructions in the 2024 owners manual. Followed them to the letter three times but the new key fob still won’t open or start the Bronco. Is this likely a faulty key fob? Is there some extra trick to following those instructions that I’m missing? Anyone else run into issues programming the third when you have both of the keys it came with?

EDIT: Well, the owners manual instructions aren’t thorough. It doesn’t tell you in those instructions that you press AND HOLD the ignition button when you put the third, blank fob into the slot. This post had a link to a Reddit thread that explained this more clearly than the owners manual does:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...e-fully-functioning-oem-key-fob-spares.85904/
Sponsored

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Dkirk

Black Diamond
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
FOB buttons down in appropriate place in center console. I had the same issue. Buttons down worked first time.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
I reprogrammed an used fob a while ago. You have to be fairly quick completing the process.

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I reprogrammed an used fob a while ago. You have to be fairly quick completing the process.
Concur. Had 2 failed attempts until I got up to speed :sneaky:

Sponsored

e34john

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
e10, e30, e34
Your Bronco Model
Base
You can confirm if the key was successful by going into the vehicle settings and see how many keys are currently assigned.

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

FOB buttons down in appropriate place in center console. I had the same issue. Buttons down worked first time.
this is important. Annoying yet vital.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After three or four attempts I managed to program a third fob. The instructions in the manual could be better.

I had to read the instructions for accessing the passivekey backup position and read through a couple of threads on here for details left out of the instructions in the manual.

Make sure the buttons are facing upward and the unlock button is facing the front of the vehicle. It doesn't matter if the metal key is in the fob or not.

The manual implies progamming is complete after finishing the seven steps in the manual. Not true, you need to start your Bronco with the new fob to complete the process. If you don't do that, the programming won't take. Start your Bronco while new fob is still in the backup slot.

The manual says to push on the brake pedal. That's only if you have an automatic. If you have a manual, push on the clutch pedal. Then push the ignition button to start the engine. You should then get a confirmation.

Finally, my system gave no prompts during the programming process. So you won't know if you're doing it correctly until you're done. You'll only get a confirmation that programming was successful after you start the engine with the new fob. Your system may be different.

I bought my fob from a Ford dealer in Las Vegas for $30.38 plus shipping. My dealer wanted around $200. Other online Ford dealers have similar pricing. Don't take chances with Amazon or Ebay, you may not get the correct fob.

It seems the part number for all Bronco fobs is M2DZ-15K601-XX with XX depending on your model of Bronco. The suffix determines the frequency of the fob and number of buttons. You need to have the correct suffix.

My spare fob still had a sticker with the part number. If the sticker is gone, you can find the correct number by removing the metal key as if you were replacing the battery. The part number is in very tiny white print above the recess where you insert a coin to open the battery cover. You will find the correct suffix there.

A final detail. For my 2023 Badlands manual, Ford's system says M2DZ-15K60-A. But the number on all my fobs is M2DZ-15K601-AB. I don't know what difference the B makes. I didn't include it when ordering and it didn't show on the invoice.

As with all my posts YMMV.
Sponsored

Attachments