First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
They are going to sell an absolute shit ton of these things. Game changer.
The problem is our electrical grid won't be able to handle it. Contrary to popular belief electricity doesn't come from a wall socket. The grid is already dangerously under capacity in many areas. Decades of neglect isn't going to be solved overnight and no, wind & solar isn't going to keep up not even close. There is a reason China is building plants, what are we doing? Closing them. Diablo Canyon in CA is closing next year and will wipe out nearly 10% of CA total generating capacity. The thermodynamic efficiency of the modern ICE car engine is 35%, which sounds low but is actually quite remarkable, and carbon is about the only thing coming out the tailpipe. Those who know or have studied thermodynamic understand. Oil/Coal power plants are 37%, gas 50% (peek efficiency, drastically reduced when plant is operating under peek). Add in distribution, charging and storage losses your well under 35%. Don't get me wrong I think electric vehicles are impressive and will probably buy one, but if you think you are "Saving the Planet" think again. What do you think those 120-car train loads of coal is used for?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
The problem is our electrical grid won't be able to handle it. Contrary to popular belief electricity doesn't come from a wall socket. The grid is already dangerously under capacity in many areas. Decades of neglect isn't going to be solved overnight and no, wind & solar isn't going to keep up not even close. There is a reason China is building plants, what are we doing? Closing them. Diablo Canyon in CA is closing next year and will wipe out nearly 10% of CA total generating capacity. The thermodynamic efficiency of the modern ICE car engine is 35%, which sounds low but is actually quite remarkable, and carbon is about the only thing coming out the tailpipe. Those who know or have studied thermodynamic understand. Oil/Coal power plants are 37%, gas 50% (peek efficiency, drastically reduced when plant is operating under peek). Add in distribution, charging and storage losses your well under 35%. Don't get me wrong I think electric vehicles are impressive and will probably buy one, but if you think you are "Saving the Planet" think again. What do you think those 120-car train loads of coal is used for?
I used to think the same thing until I had my mind completely changed my Engineering Explained’s video about this topic 2 weeks ago. It’s pretty long but the gist of it is that the same thing was probably said about air conditioning back in the 40’s and 50’s. The grid engineers figured it out then, and there are various solutions now. (Mostly spreading the load around by incentivizing charging at different times)

Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I drive 170 miles round trip to my office every day. I'd love to have an EV just keep one of my fleet vehicles down to just tire rotations. But I can't charge at work. Even the best mileage EVs that get 300 miles on a charge don't get that range in the winter. That's the other issue with EVs, winter range. Until you buy one and use it in the winter, you don't really know. Adding 20 minutes to my daily commute to charge on the way home is a non-starter.
You are correct.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You know Ive always wondered and now even more so with this truck. With a range if 300 miles, do people not head to the mountains for trips or do they just go out of their way and stop several times? Being on the other side of the mountain can take you 45min up to couple hours depending if its pavement or dirt trails to get to town.

If I had a tesla it looks like Id need to stop 5x to get to/from Denver-Sedona, AZ. If I went to Telluride, CO I could would need to stop at least 2 times roundtrip. Or I can make it to/from Telluride on 1 tank of gas in my gas f150.

DealerInsider

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chapmannewcars.com
Vehicle(s)
A stolen FE reservation
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hi everyone! Lightning reservations are open...

Due to Fords Ad Covenant, please contact me directly about the actual transaction price...😉😉😉

DM here or 215-410-2210 (call or text) or [email protected]

Last edited:

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Guess I'm a sucker for punishment. Reserved in first few seconds.
Care to share your res number, or at least the first 5 digits? I'm curious where the numbers are today compared to last night.

Sponsored

BadSquatch21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover and Porsches; '22 Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Care to share your res number, or at least the first 5 digits? I'm curious where the numbers are today compared to last night.
It was 1081401X. I think they started at 10810000.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That happened to me had to use chrome, safari sucks, should have remembered that from the Bronco reservation. Either way reserved one.
No problems with Safari here, but if you disallowed cookies from Ford before, that will cause problems.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Airplanes travel East from Chicago just as easy as West. LOL. I got the Lightning reservation just in case the Bronco situation goes sideways. There's a few things I'm still trying to figure out Bronco related, that I might just skip it and go Lightning. Not sure yet, but I have time.
Sponsored