Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Like the title reads, test drove a MT 4dr Badlands. Some city, semi city, highway, rural, and rougher rural roads. I am not a reviewer, I didn't take a bunch of photos, or measure anything. I just drove the f&$@ing Bronco and loved it. LOL

Interesting tidbit. Salesman indicates about 35 allocations for this year. only two 2doors, and 3 manual transmission. My order is a 2dr Black Diamond with manual...so not sure if unique is bad or good, but I am stoked.

I don't want to regurgitate what many other reviews have said, so I will give 10 of my thoughts on the ride...

1) I am 6'2", 230, and I fit in the front and back just fine. (see photo for scale). I set the front seat at a comfortable position, rode in it, then sat directly behind my seat and my knees had room to spare

2) The clutch is looser than I am used to, which isn't a bad thing, just different. I am coming from a Subaru WRX which require more pressure. My wife drove the Bronco also and preffered the easier clutch in the Bronco.

3) Very smooth on the highway, the Bronco seemed to steer itself. No side to side issues, no loose steering..it just felt great.

4) No noticable wind noise in the soft top. All conversations took place at normal volume without issue.

5) The non-squatch is plenty big. It is ample, I will just say that.

6) On rougher roads, it road like a truck, with some bounce. No too.much, but noticable if you are expecting a luxury SUV feel. Non issue for me, but my wife noticed it.

7) The auto stop and start on the MT is a non issue. The vehicle "stops when you take it out if fear at a stop, then starts immediately when you engage the clutch. by the time I depressed the clutch and gave it gas, the vehicle had started and was ready to go. It was a 100% non-issue and had no noticable delay at stoplights.

8) The rear gate is solid and opens and closes nicely, but with effort.

9) interior is very purposeful. Everything has a place, and nothing seems wasted.

10) I don't like the soft top and how it integrates with the rear hatch. It might be better than waiting on the hardtop, but I would prefer the hard, IMO.

PXL_20210710_163738858.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks! My MT BD should have my ass sweating on the MVG and rowing gears within the next two weeks!

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most modern clutch pedals have some form of helper spring that makes the clutch feel light. It's generally easy to remove and stiffens up the pedal a bit. Had to do it in my brz

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Like the title reads, test drove a MT 4dr Badlands.

Ford Bronco 10 points from my Manual Transmission Test Drive PXL_20210710_163738858
You drove Crossroads Apex or Capital Ford? Looks like Crossroads, which I am driving Monday.

Let me know if there is anything you want me to check that you thought of post drive.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Damn boy, my wife likes those Magnum P.I. shorts! Looking good.

Nice review though, glad to hear the MT is a hack on the auto stop deal. I usually hold the clutch or if a long wait watch for the opposing yellows and put it in gear before hand it comes close to changing. For stop and go traffic I will probably leave a big gap and use the crawler.

You mentioned the bumps as having some bounce, but how about harshness. Like from potholes and such. My wife has had some surgeries and we live on a very rough road. I have promised her that the new Bronco will take out alot of the harshness over our 96 Bronco.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice review, but I refuse to look at a picture with a human for scale when there are perfectly good pineapples out there.

OP
OP
rugbysecondrow

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You drove Crossroads Apex or Capital Ford? Looks like Crossroads, which I am driving Monday.

Let me know if there is anything you want me to check that you thought of post drive.
thanks! It was Crossroads in Apex.

OP
OP
rugbysecondrow

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice review though, glad to hear the MT is a hack on the auto stop deal. I usually hold the clutch or if a long wait watch for the opposing yellows and put it in gear before hand it comes close to changing. For stop and go traffic I will probably leave a big gap and use the crawler.

You mentioned the bumps as having some bounce, but how about harshness. Like from potholes and such. My wife has had some surgeries and we live on a very rough road. I have promised her that the new Bronco will take out alot of the harshness over our 96 Bronco.
Thighs out, all day every day. LOL

Not bad at all if you are used to an older truck, but if you are used to a car or light duty SUV, it will feel different. Probably similar to the 4runner, Highlander difference.

CO-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
CO-Bronco
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 - 4dr - Cyber Orange - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For stop and go traffic I will probably leave a big gap and use the crawler.
I can't wait to do this! It'll almost make traffic jams tolerable in a MT🤣💪🥳.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

When I read your title, "manual trans test ride" I figured it would be about the transmission a lot. We have a ton of opinions about the ride, suspension, room inside. What about the....transmission?

Sponsored
OP
OP
rugbysecondrow

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When I read your title, "manual trans test ride" I figured it would be about the transmission a lot. We have a ton of opinions about the ride, suspension, room inside. What about the....transmission?
to be honest, it just works. first to second seems short, but it is probably just me. It was smooth, nothing clunky about it. The throws felt natural, mid range I guess.

Manuals are just second nature to me, it just works like it is supposed to. 🤷‍♂️

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

They are natural to me too, I have 3 right now, and learned on a manual 40 something years ago. Have had at least one stick since. I just wondered how the gates feel, can you just "two finger" it into 3rd, if it naturally pops over in the neutral zone towards the right? How much higher does the top gear feel, from the 5th? What kind of revs feel right when shifting from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th? Do you feel you can avoid the turbo boost and still get any power? Things like that. About the ....transmission.

HRnFW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ /
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Drove a manual today. Highest complement just natural , no missed shifts. Gates pretty easy to find shortish throws especially for a truck , definitely better than my FJ. shift collar easy to work for R and C . Not as precise as my old E90 m3 , worlds better than my 4.6 F150 with the 5 speed ( still fun but long stick , long throws and all truck.) definitely fun and good fit for sport truck application. Did not try to heel and toe so can’t comment on that . Engine does not seem to have the rev hanging that my FJ has when you lift off the gas Don’t think anyone will find it objectionable. Only way it could be better would be with a 2.7 in front of it . Didn’t drive at any speed on the road so can’t comment on acceleration times but torque in 4L was OUTRAGEOUS and 4L C gear was REDICULOUS. Yes the interior is Spartan. But off road what a beast.

OP
OP
rugbysecondrow

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Drove a manual today. Highest complement just natural , no missed shifts. Gates pretty easy to find shortish throws especially for a truck , definitely better than my FJ. shift collar easy to work for R and C . Not as precise as my old E90 m3 , worlds better than my 4.6 F150 with the 5 speed ( still fun but long stick , long throws and all truck.) definitely fun and good fit for sport truck application. Did not try to heel and toe so can’t comment on that . Engine does not seem to have the rev hanging that my FJ has when you lift off the gas Don’t think anyone will find it objectionable. Only way it could be better would be with a 2.7 in front of it . Didn’t drive at any speed on the road so can’t comment on acceleration times but torque in 4L was OUTRAGEOUS and 4L C gear was REDICULOUS. Yes the interior is Spartan. But off road what a beast.
This. totally agree, it was just easy to drive. Natural is a good way to describe it.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base

As long as you keep it out of neutral, the AS/S is not supposed to engage on the MT. So, when I'm at the Bank ATM I'll have to remember to hit the stupid button. Otherwise, it should never actually ever kick in.
Sponsored