Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand that Ford needs to take extreme measures to fix the bad situation with the Webasto hard tops. But why in the world is there no soft top option for those of us with a 2-door reservation (1st day) and order? Instead after more than a year patiently waiting we are just being told: "No soup for you! Come back - One year!!" (pardon the Seinfeld reference). This Bronco product launch leaves much to be desired...
Ford Bronco 2-Door Bronco soft top option R.7b533a7578b10c20bd9f05f53aefbad6
Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because Ford doesn't want to make it happen, it's as simple as that unfortunately.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The live discussion said soft tops are the best thing since sliced bread, but only for a 4 door. They suck on a 2dr. Be glad it's not an option.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The live discussion said soft tops are the best thing since sliced bread, but only for a 4 door. They suck on a 2dr. Be glad it's not an option.
What's the reasoning there? The Bestop 2dr tops I saw at Super Celebration were great. So much better than the ones on the four door models.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What's the reasoning there? The Bestop 2dr tops I saw at Super Celebration were great. So much better than the ones on the four door models.

Well, someone would have had to have asked that question to know their reasoning. I couldn't guess. But I do know the 4dr soft top is the greatest ever.

Sponsored

BadSquatch21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover and Porsches; '22 Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I always wondered if it was a regulation approval thing or crash test thing that they don't want to (or have the time to) go through the process of doing for a factory approved configuration. It just makes no sense that they have them running around with soft tops but they won't sell them with it.

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dear Ford here's your MAP Field of Dirt Dreams Moment
If You Build It, We Will Buy

download (1).jpeg
2021 Bronco Fastback Top 2-Door Carbonized Gray Big Bend 1.jpg
ford-bronco-two-door-soft-top-spy-photos-rear-three-quarters.jpg

OP
OP
Tuco76

Tuco76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco 2-Door Bronco soft top option ford-bronco-two-door-soft-top-spy-photos-rear-three-quarters
Ford Bronco 2-Door Bronco soft top option ford-bronco-two-door-soft-top-spy-photos-rear-three-quarters
Exactly! If such soft top would be even an option for my 2-door Badlands, then I would happily change my order to get a 21 model year. And Ford would have one less Sebastio hardtop problem to deal with. Maybe that is too easy, though.

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I always wondered if it was a regulation approval thing or crash test thing that they don't want to (or have the time to) go through the process of doing for a factory approved configuration. It just makes no sense that they have them running around with soft tops but they won't sell them with it.
Sometimes regulations make no sense, but I'm guessing the top in a convertible vehicle is assumed to confer no safety benefits. That cardboard MIC top isn't saving any lives, let alone the soft top.

Only explanation that makes sense is that part of the Webasto contract stated there would be no competition for production 2-door roofs. Although you would think that Ford has Webasto over a barrel right now and could negotiate for some contract alterations.

RHW

Badlands
First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sometimes regulations make no sense, but I'm guessing the top in a convertible vehicle is assumed to confer no safety benefits. That cardboard MIC top isn't saving any lives, let alone the soft top.

Only explanation that makes sense is that part of the Webasto contract stated there would be no competition for production 2-door roofs. Although you would think that Ford has Webasto over a barrel right now and could negotiate for some contract alterations.
THIS!
This is what Ford needs to be up front and honest about. All we have heard so far is "Soft tops are not an option on 2dr" "No plans to ship w/soft top on 2dr"
I think you are right. Must be contractual..

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

download (1).jpeg
2021 Bronco Fastback Top 2-Door Carbonized Gray Big Bend 1.jpg
ford-bronco-two-door-soft-top-spy-photos-rear-three-quarters.jpg

Put that on my dirt mountain steed and ship it today. I'd gladly use the crap out of that top.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, not a safety issue. The top will shred pretty quick in any rollover accident.

Baddie64

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Liberty, 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford has declined to answer.

WildWillie

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
And I’m no lawyer, but wouldn’t failure to meet quality standards on this scale border breach from Webasto side, freeing up the ability for soft tops availability? Again, im not lawyer so I don’t know the ins and outs...especially in lawyerese. Common sense points that way, but that don’t exist much these days.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
That's an interesting viewpoint and one worthy of further research/debate. I had not thought about the (obvious) exclusivity contracts.

That being said, Webasto is about to pay back about 110% of absolutely every single penny of any performance clause, failure to fulfill clause or production delay clause in their contracts.

Only being a fly on the wall during some of the Microsoft debates with their legal providers during the EU defense contract negotiations, often times any of these performance clauses can be offset and agreed upon at a higher level.

Now, onto the point that i've read in the tea leaves (helpfully left behind by some sources near the issue), is that Bestop tops did not meet the safety and quality requirements of FoMoCo for it to be included in the vehicle warranty, thus Ford wasn't going to be augmenting one terrible situation by jumping into hot water with a new and potentially difficult situation of unsafe/low-quality roofs.

*Note that there were no hints as to specifically what was wrong with them, the design or any further details at all. And I cannot cite any source or give any further information other than the above. Which means it could be entirely false or not. Just sharing the results of my divination.
Sponsored

Last edited: