LivingPeachy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 Door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just took delivery of a 2 Door Big Bend in June 2023. The Bronco had many quality defects from factory that the dealership had to fix. It barely has 350 miles on it (300 of these miles are going back and forth from the Ford Service Department).

Since I've gotten it back it's been babied and garage kept. Haven't even had a chance to enjoy it as a week ago I noticed that the hardtop is showing faint bubbles almost hail like dents all over the big rear hardtop. It looks like it may be buckling? The front two hard top panels do not have this issue and there are no signs of hail damage on the rest of the body of vehicle. Although it may be hard to see, you can put your hand over the hardtop and feel the dent/bubble like texture.

It's currently at another dealership local to where I live being looked at and they're trying to figure out next steps. Has anyone else had this issue? :(

IMG_5866.jpeg

IMG_5862.jpeg
Sponsored

Dude1967

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco 2 door Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Welcome and join the club. Going in for my 3rd top next week. 1st was a crack on passenger side rear window, 2nd bubbles on the top, 3rd is doing the same as yours now. Other than that I am really enjoying it! I am hopeful there will be a stronger top in the near future. Till then I will keep getting the damn thing replaced. It is a shame Ford cant make a top that will last.

OP
OP
LivingPeachy

LivingPeachy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 Door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Welcome and join the club. Going in for my 3rd top next week. 1st was a crack on passenger side rear window, 2nd bubbles on the top, 3rd is doing the same as yours now. Other than that I am really enjoying it! I am hopeful there will be a stronger top in the near future. Till then I will keep getting the damn thing replaced. It is a shame Ford cant make a top that will last.
Wow! I'm saddened to hear that this is a reoccurring problem. Sounds like these hardtops are really trash. Did your dealer give you any issues?

Also do you know if the sound deadening headliner, weatherstripping/gaskets, glass, etc. is all transferred from the original hardtop or is it included in the replacement? My dealer called me and told me they will be replacing it.

Dude1967

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco 2 door Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wow! I'm saddened to hear that this is a reoccurring problem. Sounds like these hardtops are really trash. Did your dealer give you any issues?

Also do you know if the sound deadening headliner, weatherstripping/gaskets, glass, etc. is all transferred from the original hardtop or is it included in the replacement? My dealer called me and told me they will be replacing it.
My dealer was and is fantastic! They have replaced the headliner each time, removed and installed the windows along with the rear window/wiper. The best part is if you do a search there are a few threads on this issue. Ford knows they are not the best and IMO it is just a band aid for now. Good luck!

OP
OP
LivingPeachy

LivingPeachy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 Door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My dealer was and is fantastic! They have replaced the headliner each time, removed and installed the windows along with the rear window/wiper. The best part is if you do a search there are a few threads on this issue. Ford knows they are not the best and IMO it is just a band aid for now. Good luck!
I hope to have the same experience as you. After reviewing similar threads, I'm going to have to make sure my top is free of any defects. I just hope I don't have to get it replaced it again but no high hopes here.

Sponsored

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've got a 2DR base that was built mid-October 2022. No hard top problems that I can see. I just went out and looked... after reading this thread. I've got about 3500 miles on mine so far (as of 08/10/2023). Fit and finish on the Bronco itself has been good also.

My MO:
1. Live in Northern California (hot, but only up to 110 max).
2. Very dry climate during the summer.
3. Bronco lives in (somewhat hot) garage when not in use.

I see the people with the top problems are from Florida
and Houston. Both very humid places.

Questions:
1. Are all 2Dr Broncos built in the same factory, and get tops from the same 3rd-party factories?
2. If there are different factories... are FL and TX Broncos built in the same place?

Just trying to figure this out...

OP
OP
LivingPeachy

LivingPeachy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 Door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've got a 2DR base that was built mid-October 2022. No hard top problems that I can see. I just went out and looked... after reading this thread. I've got about 3500 miles on mine so far (as of 08/10/2023). Fit and finish on the Bronco itself has been good also.

My MO:

Questions:
1. Are all 2Dr Broncos built in the same factory, and get tops from the same 3rd-party factories?
2. If there are different factories... are FL and TX Broncos built in the same place?

I find it funny that you mentioned Houston because that's where I live. My Bronco is garage stored. The dealer I've been working with to solve warranty/quality issues said they haven't seen this issue but they just agreed to replace it.

I am actually having a harder time to get them to replace the hardtop gasket. They "adjusted" it and gave it back to me while I wait for the hardtop to come in but I checked and their "adjustment" hasn't done squat. In fact it made it ten times worse than what I brought it in for. Ton of wind noise and light shining in from this area.

IMG_5969.jpeg

IMG_5858.jpeg

OP
OP
LivingPeachy

LivingPeachy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 Door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

My MO:

Questions:

1. I believe all of our 6th Gen Broncos are made in MI.
2. Not sure about where the hardtops are made but I read China somewhere?

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Really... China???

I'll have to start looking for problems every week or so. That is disturbing.

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was just going off the location data displayed in the left-hand column.

Sponsored
OP
OP
LivingPeachy

LivingPeachy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 Door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Really... China???

I'll have to start looking for problems every week or so. That is disturbing.
Hey I would say its good to hear you had yours since October and have 3K+ miles on it. I had mine in my possession for less than a month with 350 miles on it and I already noticed major defects. Super scary, especially from hearing about what @Dude1967 has gone through.

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yep... so far so good. No problems. I don't exactly beat the heck out of it though. My off-roading so far is null... except for the extremely large pot-holes here in California.

Took my daughters 4-door OBX out for about a 30 mile drive.

All that I can say is... I'm glad I bought a two door.

To me... 2door=fun; 4door=family wagon/bus.

M7 23

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1. I believe all of our 6th Gen Broncos are made in MI.
2. Not sure about where the hardtops are made but I read China somewhere?
All US Broncos are built at Michigan Assembly Plant. Same plant build US Rangers.

MIC tops are provided by a supplier, to Ford’s specifications.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm from Houston originally, so I'd suspect the funkytown smell. I kid! :whistle: But for real, the air in Houston is not fun.

I got my 2023 in February and after living through Houston-lite humidity early in the summer here in DFW (only 87% humidity and 104!), I don't so far have any issues? Also been down there a few times (mostly Spring/Woodlands/New Caney). 11k miles in six months, dry or cool conditions mostly (Amarillo twice, Marble Falls, around here lately), garage queen.

I think it's most likely a manufacturing defect (perhaps delaminated because the epoxy used wasn't set at the right temperature, or was too thinly applied?) or was damaged during install. I'd just get it replaced and hope for the best. Even if heat and humidity bubbled it, that's a materials flaw. Just be sure to check the new one out.

OP
OP
LivingPeachy

LivingPeachy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 Door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm from Houston originally, so I'd suspect the funkytown smell. I kid! :whistle: But for real, the air in Houston is not fun.

I got my 2023 in February and after living through Houston-lite humidity early in the summer here in DFW (only 87% humidity and 104!), I don't so far have any issues? Also been down there a few times (mostly Spring/Woodlands/New Caney). 11k miles in six months, dry (Amarillo twice, Marble Falls, around here lately), garage queen.

I think it's most likely a manufacturing defect (perhaps delaminated because the epoxy used wasn't set at the right temperature, or was too thinly applied?) or was damaged during install. I'd just get it replaced and hope for the best. Even if heat and humidity bubbled it, that's an materials flaw. Just be sure to check the new one out.
Howdy from Houston! Weather definitely sucks here, extremely hot and humid. My Bronco will def be garage kept for that reason but then again it is also hot in the garage. I really hope my hardtop issue is just a defect and it doesn't happen again. Fingers crossed lol.
Sponsored