Sponsored

2020-2021 Ford Bronco Four-Door Concept Rendering

Rozinante

Threads
Reaction score
Let's be real here. As much as I want to see a 2 door Bronco, the reality is the market is completely different than back n the day. A 4 door Jeep didn't exist until 2006 and now they comprise something like 80% of the sales. At this point the 4 door is basically keeping the 2 door alive. The Bronco will be no different. Enthusiasts will gobble up the 2 door but in reality Ford having its marketing eyes wide open is less about offering a "true Bronco" than finding a way to sell in big numbers and the 4 door is key to that.
All true, Mustang313...Four-slammer SUVs are like assholes: everybody's got one--or two, or three (Ford already sells three of them--the Expedition, the Explorer, and the Escape. Why would they need a fourth?). We need just one genuine rock-climbing, beach-bustin', dune-ripping, Baja-beatin', whoop-de-dooing, ass-kicking, ZR2-eating, Jeep-shaming, trail-whuppin', Hell-raisin', two-door-with-rear-hatch buckin' Bronco!! Big numbers ain't all that matters--if they did, Ford would never have brought out the Raptor or the Ford GT or the Cobra R or the FR500C or the Cobra Jet or the Focus RS or the Boss 429 or the Boss 302 or the Lightning--and the list goes on and on...

Every now and then, ya gotta show who's got the balls.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Big numbers ain't all that matters--
I beg to differ, if you're an automaker, it is what pays the bills. plain and simple.

if they did, Ford would never have brought out the Raptor or the Ford GT or the Cobra R or the FR500C or the Cobra Jet or the Focus RS or the Boss 429 or the Boss 302 or the Lightning--and the list goes on and on...

Except for the GT, all of which are supported by robust sales of their plain jane vanilla counter parts. The Raptor wouldn't exist without the massive number of "beater with a heater" work truck F150's and all the grocery getter crew cabs everybody uses for not much more than commuting with an empty bed.

While I agree 110% with your description of what the Bronco should be, it simply will not happen without a four door to make it worth while financially. As expensive as cars are today, familys have to buy something that can do many things well. If it can't haul the kids as well as crawl the rocks, it won't sell very well. The sales numbers of the 2 and 4 door Jeeps prove this out very well.

At this point, I'm far more concerned that it looks like the rompin stompin offroad machine we want and not another mall crawler suv more than if it has a two door model or not. The Jeep unlimiteds are nothing to sneeze at.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just reposting my edit from above....

I am finally able to view these on something other than my phone screen.
I like it more now that I can see more detail on this bigger screen.
Somewhat rugged looking , definitely would love to see one in person. It's going to be tough to grab that very rugged look and appeal the classic Bronco and the Jeep have.
Jeep has been able to maintain it, I fully expect Ford's design team to recapture it. Anything less and they will miss their target buyers.

Wrathchild

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford F150 4x4 OffRoad, 2010 Ford Flex SEL Ecoboost, 2004 Acura TL
I love the looks of the 4dr and 2dr. I want 1 of each. I know traditionalists want the 2dr. but when you got a family that is climbing in and out all the time it's a must. I remember the days as a passenger and a driver in my old 87 Bronco it was annoying getting in and out. If I was using it as a recreational only 2dr. all the way. I love that Hunter Green. I would be using that 4dr. for hauling a camper out West to go camping then hope to do some Off Road with it on some Mountain trails. I hope Ford really talks to you guys about these designs. I would be really disappointed if it didn't come close to looking like these.

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
All true, Mustang313...Four-slammer SUVs are like assholes: everybody's got one--or two, or three (Ford already sells three of them--the Expedition, the Explorer, and the Escape. Why would they need a fourth?). We need just one genuine rock-climbing, beach-bustin', dune-ripping, Baja-beatin', whoop-de-dooing, ass-kicking, ZR2-eating, Jeep-shaming, trail-whuppin', Hell-raisin', two-door-with-rear-hatch buckin' Bronco!! Big numbers ain't all that matters--if they did, Ford would never have brought out the Raptor or the Ford GT or the Cobra R or the FR500C or the Cobra Jet or the Focus RS or the Boss 429 or the Boss 302 or the Lightning--and the list goes on and on...

I'm not going to disagree that Ford needs a true kickass take no names Bronco and a 2 door that is true to its roots, but to me it's foolish to think that Ford will not try to take a piece of the JKU pie or that this will somehow make it "not a true Bronco." Jeep has the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee and that didn't stop hundreds of thousands of people from buying the JKU so the fact that Ford sells the Explorer, Escape etc doesn't mean much IMO.

Comparing the Bronco, a mass production vehicle that will probably start in the low to mid 20K's with the Ford Raptor, Ford GT, Cobra R, Cobra Jet or any one of those is totally apples to oranges. Jeep's been selling almost 200,000 Wranglers every year. If you think Ford is about to release a Bronco that isn't all about big sales numbers you're going to be very disappointed. The high performance halo cars/trucks are different and MAYBE if Ford offers a Bronco Raptor (I pray). Those are about exclusivity, limited production numbers, brand cachet (which is why they are released under Ford Performance) and they have big price tags to go along with it. Ford has to keep this an Average Joe off road SUV directly aimed at the Wrangler. and making the Bronco only in 2 door will guarantee failure in only a few short years.

Think about this for a sec. Jeep has no competition right now and even with record sales, an army of fanboys and the JK's reputation as the best offroader around they don't sell more than 50K 2 door Wranglers a year. Now split that up with some competition. That's the kind of numbers that drive an entire nameplate out of production.

Sponsored

Rozinante

Threads
Reaction score
I'm not going to disagree that Ford needs a true kickass take no names Bronco and a 2 door that is true to its roots, but to me it's foolish to think that Ford will not try to take a piece of the JKU pie or that this will somehow make it "not a true Bronco." Jeep has the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee and that didn't stop hundreds of thousands of people from buying the JKU so the fact that Ford sells the Explorer, Escape etc doesn't mean much IMO.

Comparing the Bronco, a mass production vehicle that will probably start in the low to mid 20K's with the Ford Raptor, Ford GT, Cobra R, Cobra Jet or any one of those is totally apples to oranges. Jeep's been selling almost 200,000 Wranglers every year. If you think Ford is about to release a Bronco that isn't all about big sales numbers you're going to be very disappointed. The high performance halo cars/trucks are different and MAYBE if Ford offers a Bronco Raptor (I pray). Those are about exclusivity, limited production numbers, brand cachet (which is why they are released under Ford Performance) and they have big price tags to go along with it. Ford has to keep this an Average Joe off road SUV directly aimed at the Wrangler. and making the Bronco only in 2 door will guarantee failure in only a few short years.

Think about this for a sec. Jeep has no competition right now and even with record sales, an army of fanboys and the JK's reputation as the best offroader around they don't sell more than 50K 2 door Wranglers a year. Now split that up with some competition. That's the kind of numbers that drive an entire nameplate out of production.
Mustang313, what a thoughtful and penetrating reply! Superb, actually!

Somewhere along the way, you and others have come to believe that I am opposed to a four-door Bronco. NOT totally true.

I would oppose a FOUR-DOOR ONLY Bronco (Ford has three four-door SUVs that have been in volume production for years now). I bought a '66 U15 eighteen years ago and I have it still. If the 2020 Bronco is only four-doors, I will spend the build-up money I've been accumulating since 1999 on a serious '66 Bronco build-up without giving the 2020 Bronco a second look, thought, or consideration. If there is a two-door 2020 Bronco with or without a four-door running mate, I will give it consideration if Ford knocks it over the center field grandstands into the parking lots beyond--as they did with the Early Bronco. I'll retire in 2018 and will finally have the time to devote many hours each day to doing the build-up I've been planning for a long time. By then, much will be known about the 2020 Bronco--at least enough to decide whether to forge ahead with the '66 build-up or to sell the '66 and start shopping desirable upgrades for the 2020. I could actually do both (I started a Bronco Bank Account nineteen years ago and it is now substantial) but that would be redundant, if the 2020 Bronco approximates the off-road potential of the greatest off-road vehicle of the twentieth century (Actually, the title awarded to the Early Bronco was The Greatest Off-Road Vehicle of All Time--but those articles and the testing of all possible contenders was published in 1999--and I am not such a fanboy that I won't admit that there MIGHT be a better off-road vehicle by 2099).

It's eleven minutes to closing time so I gotta git! Great reply by you!!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Those 4 door versions look good, but I'm not interested in buying one. Looks too much like an expedition and I don't want an enormous SUV. I'm also not interested in a 2 door version if it uses a large chassis. Lots of people buy Mustangs and those only have 2 doors. If Ford made a 4 door Mustang I would not be interested, either. Not sure why the market has changed. I think Ford just has to do a good job with making the back seats easily accessible, or make the Bronco cool enough that people will live with 2 doors. I'm starting to get the impression that the only thing "Bronco" about this vehicle will be the name. No thanks.

Rozinante

Threads
Reaction score
Those 4 door versions look good, but I'm not interested in buying one. Looks too much like an expedition and I don't want an enormous SUV. I'm also not interested in a 2 door version if it uses a large chassis. Lots of people buy Mustangs and those only have 2 doors. If Ford made a 4 door Mustang I would not be interested, either. Not sure why the market has changed. I think Ford just has to do a good job with making the back seats easily accessible, or make the Bronco cool enough that people will live with 2 doors. I'm starting to get the impression that the only thing "Bronco" about this vehicle will be the name. No thanks.
Hack, don't give up yet--Ford knows the value of the SVT staff and I'm sure they have sat in on the 2020 Bronco discussions. Australia makes some damned fine vehicles so their basic chasses will be solid and capable. It is up to Ford of America to develop a capable, desirable, kick-ass Bronco from those basics. As others in this thread maintain, a two-door-only Bronco might not generate enough sales to justify keeping the new Bronco in the line-up--but a four-door-only Bronco is doomed to fail--maybe quickly. It may require both versions in today's market. However, why not create a ballsy four-door version of the Escape if it is felt that a capable small four-door SUV is needed? MUCH cheaper than creating a new SUV based on an Aussie chassis. But call a four-door Escape-based performance SUV an "Escape Raptor" or a "Mini-Raptor" or whatever--but.don't.call.it.a.Bronco...

Craig34

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 cj5 ford f150 kawasaki H2
I will take a 2 door with removable top and 2 doors please

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hack, don't give up yet--Ford knows the value of the SVT staff and I'm sure they have sat in on the 2020 Bronco discussions. Australia makes some damned fine vehicles so their basic chasses will be solid and capable. It is up to Ford of America to develop a capable, desirable, kick-ass Bronco from those basics. As others in this thread maintain, a two-door-only Bronco might not generate enough sales to justify keeping the new Bronco in the line-up--but a four-door-only Bronco is doomed to fail--maybe quickly. It may require both versions in today's market. However, why not create a ballsy four-door version of the Escape if it is felt that a capable small four-door SUV is needed? MUCH cheaper than creating a new SUV based on an Aussie chassis. But call a four-door Escape-based performance SUV an "Escape Raptor" or a "Mini-Raptor" or whatever--but.don't.call.it.a.Bronco...
We can agree to disagree on the 4 door thing. Maybe if Ford made a 4 door where the back two doors are hidden in the styling and only operate when the front doors are open - like some of the supercab pickups did at one time. That might work out ok for the groups that think they need more doors as well as those who want something that looks good.

Sponsored

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We can agree to disagree on the 4 door thing. Maybe if Ford made a 4 door where the back two doors are hidden in the styling and only operate when the front doors are open - like some of the supercab pickups did at one time. That might work out ok for the groups that think they need more doors as well as those who want something that looks good.
That could work for me. Totally dependent on the look.

BlackH20

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition L, Genesis, Honda S2000
That could work for me. Totally dependent on the look.
Ford officially stated, no 2 door models. Agree that would be my preference. You would think if they are going after Jeep they would go after both 2 and 4 door models, but I guess Jeep across their total line, not enough 2 door models made for Ford to tool up for it versus Jeep having it since the 1940's. Pictures look great though, will surely put a hurt on FCA's. I test drove a Grand Cherokee looking to downsize from an Expedition, but it was too small, my old Saab had more cargo room (70 cubic feet) with all seats down) than the Grand Cherokee. Also part of the headliner was hanging out wear the plastic trim should cover it, poor quality checks before leaving the factory. Plus since the rate the lowest on Consumers Reports (although hold their value) I am going to pass on on Jeep. Used to have a Hummer H2, now that was luxury off roading.

EddRonco

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer and 1954 f100
The olive 4 door looks dope! Only thing it doesn't represent the Bronco everyone loves. It reminds me more of a Centurion. I would honestly get the Bronco even though they aren't going to be released in a 2 door model. Maybe I'll wait for them to come out with a special model like a raptor trim.

Spartan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford officially stated, no 2 door models. Agree that would be my preference. You would think if they are going after Jeep they would go after both 2 and 4 door models, but I guess Jeep across their total line, not enough 2 door models made for Ford to tool up for it versus Jeep having it since the 1940's.
There isn't a $$ reason not to offer a 2-door. They can just upcharge for it if their reasons are that the 2 door sells less. They need to realize that there are lots of people out there that don't need a 4 door truck and want a smaller 2 door for various reasons. Jeep gets it...not sure why Ford doesnt.

Ford needs to stop thinking about the Jeep and think about the Bronco and what it represents. If they try to focus on Jeep then they will just come out with a Jeep clone.

What Ford seems to be clueless about is the look. The renders on here have hit it out of the park and it looks like a amazing vehicle that I would buy. It's unique, it's own look, and is different then a Jeep but serves the dual purpose.
Sponsored