Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

An earlier thread questioning why anyone would want the 2021MY got me thinking...

As most with professional experience in the auto industry know, first model year vehicles statistically do have more issues than their second third and fourth year counterparts.

This comes from a number of variables. Assembly line workers simply are not as familiar with how to put the car together (yup, even though they each only have a very specific task - humans make mistakes) and as a result, some fit and finish issues will occur. Suppliers absolutely SKATE by the initial PPAP process for their parts (aka the parts are qualified..kinda) and as a result there are some parts that will have failures. The list goes on and on.

With that said, first year models are indeed still fine to buy - but the do objectively carry a higher likelihood of some issues. Not astronomical, but its there.

My question is - how do we safeguard against this? For example.. if this was a new piece of Apple Hardware, I would simply purchase the 2 year extended warranty.

What can we do as first year buyers to try to cover our asses in the event of some sort of issues?
Sponsored

Brew3x

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I can only speak of the first time I bought a 1st model year motorcycle and all the issues were take care of with recalls and it was very minimal. I think it was 2 recalls 1 for wheel bearings and second for head bearing and they weren’t safety issues.

OP
OP
SamG

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you have an early reservation, you can simply cancel it. This would 100% guarantee you would have no problems with your 2021.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
0% chance that's happening
The good part of this hyper limited inventory and drawn out delivery process is that you could always sell the thing 3 weeks later for MSRP to a doctor who didn't reserve one. lol

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Extended warranty is probably worth it. The dealer I'm going with is offering free lifetime powertrain warranty and includes turbos but I'll probably see if they can offer an additional 2 years bumper to bumper for $1k or less.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bmclain

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yah. This is the first time Ford has come out with a new vehicle, so I'm sure there will be plenty of issues. Really sick of people throwing that out there as an excuse.

OP
OP
SamG

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yah. This is the first time Ford has come out with a new vehicle, so I'm sure there will be plenty of issues. Really sick of people throwing that out there as an excuse.
I am not sure I understand your statement - are you saying you do not believe that first year models have issues?

OP
OP
SamG

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Extended warranty is probably worth it. The dealer I'm going with is offering lifetime powertrain warranty and includes turbos but I'll probably see if they can offer an additional 2 years for $1k or less.
From what I have read - power train issues on new vehicles are normally covered simply because OEM's don't want to be slandered in the news. My concern is with random suspension parts, bearings...etc Things that the dealer could try to blame on the owner

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

extended warranty is your best bet along with having a good dealer that will take care of you when you have any issues. I think people picking up 21's should somewhat expect a few hiccups. But that's they price they'll pay for being the first ones on the block with a shiny new Bronco.

Jason

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I think of first model year reliability, I break them down into two categories:

Big Items: Engine, transmission, transfer case, etc. These could die prematurely outside of warranty, which is a worst case scenario. However, most of this is not new for Ford, and well sorted already. If there is a concern here, the extended warranty is a great option.​
Small Items: Touch screen, hard top leaks, rattles, etc. I expect these issues, but I also expect them to be sorted out during the warranty period.​

The other way to look at this issue is to consider the alternative: you purchase a vehicle near the end of its run. Let's assume you get better reliability, but you also are buying into stale product. When compared to the upcoming refreshed model, your reliable late model year will have worse MPG, faster depreciation, and worse tech when compared to the future model that will replace it.

Everyone will have different priorities, but waiting a couple of years isn't a free lunch. You get better reliability (probably), but you also compromise in other ways.

Sponsored

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
From what I have read - power train issues on new vehicles are normally covered simply because OEM's don't want to be slandered in the news. My concern is with random suspension parts, bearings...etc Things that the dealer could try to blame on the owner
I edited my post to clarify. I meant they're offering it for free with new Bronco, so when the OEM warranty expires, powertrain will still be covered. Probably pay a little extra to extend bumper to bumper.

The dealer you go to for service really matters. I've had dramatically different experiences when going for service. That article about the Jeep owner on the hook for repairs after going through mud definitely makes me wary but to be fair, we don't know if they were downplaying what happened.

Brit

Outer Banks
First Name
Brit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This will be my second first year vehicle and third vehicle purchased without seeing or driving first and I'd say don't void your warranty until you feel like all the gremlins have been worked out. For the first time ever, I am getting an extended warranty on the Bronco from https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com .

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just throwing this out there..... MY22 will have just as many issues as MY21. It takes years and many miles to find many of the issues so that’s why a lot of vehicles don’t have kinks worked out until 4 or so years later. Y’all are acting like the assembly line from MY21 to MY22 will magically get better? it will be the same vehicle minus some different colors or options but overall the exact same vehicle in the first 2 model year Broncos.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sign that you will accept the 3 year warranty. Then you’re covered. ?
Sponsored