Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2021 soft top. There is no water intrusion issue with soft top, period. That should be clear from the above comments. I live in Portland, OR we get 50 inches of rain a season. Not a drop inside my bronco. If you intend on using the bronco as designed (convertible), soft top is 100% the way to go. Being able to flip back your top into position #1 in a matter of a few seconds allows you to go topless far more often than if you were needing to remove and store panels. You can also go completely topless on a roadtrip and button back up during the night with nearly zero storage loss. I truly believe it is easier for a thief to break into a hard top than a soft top primarily due to the rear side windows being blocked by a bunch of metal from the soft top chassis. The rear of the bronco would be very hard to get into especially with SAS as you'd have to climb over a tire. If a thief prioritizes speed (which I believe) instead of quietness then a hard top is easier to get into. Break a rear side window, reach in, grab, and gone. I hear road noise is similar to both. The solid nature of the hard top is counteracted with all the gaps for it being modular making them sound similar.

Soft top downsides
Looks (it just looks worse)
No ability for roof rack (there's some exoskeleton racks that look pretty bad and remove the ability to throw your top back
Harder to get stuff into the cargo area
No rear wiper/defroster (much less of a problem than I originally thought)

All that being said I have a hard top coming on my forever bronco next month (one of the reasons I'm picking it up) but I started to get cold feet with having a hard top only and already bought some ones soft top dual top off them brand new in preparation last week because I like the soft top so much lol. November-March I plan to roll with hard top exclusively. and June-Sept I plan to have no top at all.

Ford Bronco 2023 Soft Top vs Previous Years? C00CA563-9308-483E-9E72-2590844C2A05
Sponsored

Last edited:

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2015 Pilot, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
22 soft top with no water leaks at all. Never rode in a Bronco with a Mic so no comparison

The Beaz

First Edition
First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Anyone with 23 soft top have these gaps at the rear window panels? Upper back where they connect to the rear panel....

PXL_20230318_230850060.jpg

PXL_20230318_230910058.jpg

mladewski

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does anyone have definitive knowledge that there is a difference between ford manufactured soft tops from model year to model year, is a 2022 model year oem soft top any different from a 2023?

I have a mic hard top and am looking to purchase a soft top and wondering if there are any reasons to look for a specific model year and have read different opinions on this.

Thanks

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Good day everyone. I wanted to ask about the issues people have stated related to wind noise, water intrusion, etc. with the soft tops. I hear there are improvements with the 2023 models.

I am looking to place a new order and am trying to decide whether to go MIC or soft top. I really like the idea of collapsing the entire top and not have to worry about panels but I am concerned about wind noise and water intrusion (and any other issues).

What advise or feedback could you provide about this? I am not sure if this is the right place to post the question. If it isn't, I apologize.
I haven't had any water intrusion. As for noise, meh, it's a convertible.

Sponsored

OrangeCrush22

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4dr soft top
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My wife and I love the features of the soft top. Especially the ease of open air at anytime anywhere! Rain not so much a problem either( except the lack of a gutter systemā€¦ especially front doors).

Buuuuutā€¦. The amount of snow and wind that gets inside is unacceptable. I expect noise with a soft top. But not feeling wind come across the inside of vehicle and actually being able to see daylight through the sides of the roof where it meets the roll bars/ side windows while driving. The pics are from sitting outside for only 4 hours while snowing. Luckily we had only received about 3 ā€œrealā€ snow falls this past winter and two of the days it was garaged during those snow days.
so one time in the snow = one time with snow on seats, roll bars, sun visors, cargo area, floor, underside of roof etc.
So is the ā€˜23 top better???ā€¦.I hope so!!! Because the ā€˜22 top design is poor compared to a Jeep JL / JT.
I believe that Fordā€™s TSB to fix the problem is a band aid at best . Read the process for yourself and you will cringe. The retrofit process sounds similar to a unsupervised high school shop project. No disrespectā€¦. I was an unsupervised shop kid.
Sorry for the long rant.
Has anyone had an early ā€˜23 soft top in the snow or are we forced to go with Bestopā€¦ are they any better in the snow????
Thanks Everyone!

IMG_1382.jpeg

IMG_1381.jpeg

IMG_1379.jpeg

IMG_1377.jpeg

IMG_1375.jpeg

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1371.jpeg

IMG_3518.jpeg

OrangeCrush22

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4dr soft top
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have attached the ford TSB file that goes through the exhausting steps to retrofit a soft top.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
mig1980

mig1980

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have attached the ford tbs file that goes through the exhausting steps to retrofit a soft top.
Those pictures are insane! I would love to own a soft top but the downside is what worries me. I also hope the "redesign" for 2023 improved these areas.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone have definitive knowledge that there is a difference between ford manufactured soft tops from model year to model year, is a 2022 model year oem soft top any different from a 2023?

I have a mic hard top and am looking to purchase a soft top and wondering if there are any reasons to look for a specific model year and have read different opinions on this.

Thanks
I had a '21 soft top BL, and just traded for a '23 soft top BL. There are definitely improvements ( I cant speak to MY '22).
First off, there is a seam that runs along the upper edge of the roof line front to back that was not present on the '21. Also, the clips that hold the windows in are attached to straps on the '23 compared to the '21 that had the clips attached to the inner fabric along the inside at the top. It seems much more robust than the old attachments. I cant speak to the gutters on the '23 in comparison to the '21 (I haven't opened the windows in the rain yet), but the gutters do look like they go all the way forward to the front instead of stopping midway above the front windows. My new one is only a week old at this point, it seems tighter fitting than the old one, but it also has 36k miles less on it and has only been opened and closed 3 or 4 times compared to 100s on the old one. Less rattling as well...so far.
Overall, I am very happy with the improvements made in MY '23 (again, unsure if these were implemented in MY '22 or not)

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone with 23 soft top have these gaps at the rear window panels? Upper back where they connect to the rear panel....

Ford Bronco 2023 Soft Top vs Previous Years? IMG_3518

Ford Bronco 2023 Soft Top vs Previous Years? IMG_3518
Have not seen a 23 soft-top, but so far so good with my 21. I had sag, right behind me were it was coming loose from the inner panel(?) Permasprqy headliner fixed that issue. I have not had any leaks or gaps.

For the gap you are showing, I have never had that issue.

Sponsored

NickOhio

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco OB SAS V6
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I picked up my 23 4DR yesterday, MIC hard top. Someone at the dealership had a soft top they didn't want, so I bought that for a good deal. I assume it came off a 2021-2022. Should that be compatible with my 2023? I've watched the install video and the back 6 bolts holes do not align with the body frame.

NickOhio

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I picked up my 23 4DR yesterday, MIC hard top. Someone at the dealership had a soft top they didn't want, so I bought that for a good deal. I assume it came off a 2021-2022. Should that be compatible with my 2023? I've watched the install video and the back 6 bolts holes do not align with the body frame.
After a little more research here, I see there are more parts needed, hunting those down.

Broncobren

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WT High Pkg MIC Mod Bumper
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Iā€™ll give a hard top point of view. Iā€™m not sure why some of these people are saying the hard top is loud? Mine is very quiet with no wind noise, even over 75. Zero water leaks and I think the hard top looks great. Not a fan at all of the looks of the soft top, however, I do wish I had the convenience of just flipping back the roof whenever I wanted.

NickOhio

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Iā€™ll give a hard top point of view. Iā€™m not sure why some of these people are saying the hard top is loud? Mine is very quiet with no wind noise, even over 75. Zero water leaks and I think the hard top looks great. Not a fan at all of the looks of the soft top, however, I do wish I had the convenience of just flipping back the roof whenever I wanted.
Your last sentence is "why a soft top." Summer only use. I drove 80 home yesterday, hard top road noise isn't bad. Nothing like my Tesla or MB, but I didn't think it would be.
Sponsored