BroncoStang

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, GC 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So excuse my ignorance but being from the Southwest snow and salt hasn't really been part of my life, I've been a desert dweller most of my life. I'm assuming since the Bronco came from Michigan admist all these winter conditions that some exposure to road salt or whatever else was to be expected.

So my question is, at what point do we cross the line of "normal" and the point where I need to reach out to Ford and be like "hey, wtf"?

I have 700 miles on my Bronco. Today I hit some dirt trails for the first time and had to remove a tire and in the midst of dealing with that I discovered quite a bit ut of rust.

My axles and driveshaft seem to have the bulk of it but there's small spots throughout the frame too.

So for those of you experienced in snow/salt/rust, or anyone else, am I being picky and overly worried here or is this something I should reach out to Ford over?

Ford Bronco 2024 has rust already 1000001566

Ford Bronco 2024 has rust already 1000001567

Driver side axle
Ford Bronco 2024 has rust already 1000001577

Passenger side axle
Ford Bronco 2024 has rust already 1000001579

Ford Bronco 2024 has rust already 1000001574

Ford Bronco 2024 has rust already 1000001572

Ford Bronco 2024 has rust already 1000001573
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Normal, Itā€™s bare unpainted metal. Itā€™s going to get surface rust. If you put rust in the search bar youā€™ll find 20 other threads just like this.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thatā€™s minor compared to mine I got a month ago. I think mine was test driven on salty roads in Michigan right off the assembly line. It had about 30 miles on it when it arrived at the dealership in TX.

HolidayDog

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Mine
showed up Rusty from the factory. I was shocked and couldnā€™t believe it. I live in the north where trucks regularly spray the roads with salt (magnesium chloride) every day it snows.
I kind of freaked out about my brand new rusty car. Then I realized I never actually looked under any of our cars. Iā€™ve come to terms that metal will rust. Itā€™s still metal, it doesnā€™t look pretty but itā€™s still going to function and will work as designed for well over 100k miles before the rust causes a part to fail. When that day comes Iā€™ll replace the part.

I had the bottom treated by a LineX company. They did a great job. $250 to take care of a yucky job. Removed the bash plates and coated what they can. Iā€™ll probably hit the rusty spots with rustoleum to make them look pretty.

some farmers around here spray their under carriage with diesel and then drive down the dustiest road they can find really fast. Coat the whole thing with crud. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Keep in mindā€¦.these are Broncos not Lambos

Vilk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Salt will eventually destroy your Bronco. Get a Fluid Film under coat every every year.

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I believe Ford used to spray a coat of wax on bare metal chassis parts. Apparently a thing of the past.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine
showed up Rusty from the factory. I was shocked and couldnā€™t believe it. I live in the north where trucks regularly spray the roads with salt (magnesium chloride) every day it snows.
I kind of freaked out about my brand new rusty car. Then I realized I never actually looked under any of our cars. Iā€™ve come to terms that metal will rust. Itā€™s still metal, it doesnā€™t look pretty but itā€™s still going to function and will work as designed for well over 100k miles before the rust causes a part to fail. When that day comes Iā€™ll replace the part.

I had the bottom treated by a LineX company. They did a great job. $250 to take care of a yucky job. Removed the bash plates and coated what they can. Iā€™ll probably hit the rusty spots with rustoleum to make them look pretty.

some farmers around here spray their under carriage with diesel and then drive down the dustiest road they can find really fast. Coat the whole thing with crud. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Keep in mindā€¦.these are Broncos not Lambos
The problem I have with any type of line-x type undercoating is that anywhere it doesnā€™t adhere well, when it lifts it holds moisture under it. I know this from restoring classic cars. Undercoating eventually lifts in the worst places actually promoting rust. That being said I donā€™t know what the answer is. If I had it to do over I would have my Bronco built and delivered in the summer and spray fluid film underneath when I take delivery.

My chassis was covered in salt crystals. The axles are already pitting.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We need a sticky for "Yes there may be rust on parts of your new Bronco." Along with advising them to use the search function.
Sponsored