Sponsored

'22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Spent 1.5 years using 3 different Broncos to build up a nice daily for my son - 1995 EB Bronco. 6" lift, 35s etc. Wife, who has always been a convertible person, kept trying to talk me into keeping one of the parts Broncos to build up....but I already have her '84 GMC K1500 short bed that was line up next, so that wasn't happening.

Then the new Bronco reveal and all that happened. I showed it to her, she liked it - but we both thought it would be goofy to order a brand new vehicle without every driving one. So first week of December, the dealer I've known for years (bought multiple new cars from them) finally got a Mannequin in.

2dr (honestly don't remember which trim level) they paired up with the local 4WP and had steps, spacers, wheels and 35s installed. 2.3 and 3.73 gears. I had my wife test drive it and she really liked it. Before that test drive I was pretty set on ordering (if we did at all) the 2.7. But after test driving the Mannequin and playing with Sport mode - I was fine with the 2.3.

So we decided to spec it out and order it. It would replace the wife's '17 Mustang Ecoboost Prem ragtop as her daily driver. Which is kind of funny, considering she worked 99% from home BEFORE all this COVID stuff. In fact, she put 1800 miles on her car in a 6 month time frame. Whenever we went anywhere, we always took my '19 Mustang GT 6 speed or our '12 F150 FX4.

Unfortunately the dealer in question - I know the GM and Sales Mgr from way back - but their new "point man" for Bronco orders was a disappointment. Look, I grew up around and in the car business. I get it. But I had the full build and price done, all this guy had to do was take my deposit, confirm my order and sent me a buyer's order to date / sign. I could never get a hold of him and he never replied to emails (even though he said he preferred email responses). I was okay with MSRP (all my purchases from them before the Bronco were new and well below invoice) but being as he was getting orders for Broncos with ADM - I guess he didn't give a shit about me. Fair enough. Called a few friends, they recommended another local dealer.

Called and spoke with their new car sales mgr. Literally sent him my detailed build and price, he sent me a signed buyer's order, I called in a deposit and the order was DONE. Didn't have to go in - MSRP - zero issues. That was 12/7/21.

At this point, I had joined and searched these forums. I figured it was going to be FALL 22 or later before we saw our Bronco - and we were okay with that.

February rolls around and I get a phone call from the dealer - we got pulled for production and we issued a VIN. I was shocked - as was he actually. They had quite a few allocations and do quite a bit of volume - but still. I feel bad that there are still reservation holders still waiting....but it is what it is.

FWIW 2 dr BB, 2.3 Auto, Mid package, mod bumper, brush guard, roof rack (wife wanted it), steps and I added AUX switches, and door bags. Wife was ALL about Area 51 from the get.

We got a 4/12 build date...but after I checked OASIS, looks like it was a 4/19 build.

Tracked it via Norfolk Southern railroad (I have a friend with the railroad - then I found the trackers here - so that was kind of ironic) and then tracked it once it got loaded on a truck for delivery to the dealer (about 30 miles from the railyard holding facility) - shout out to B6G members for being able to set that up.

By this time, I had been handed off to a salesman. Great guy. He's young and they hadn't received but one 2dr Bronco so far, he seemed as excited as my wife LOL.

I did let him know that when it arrived, I nicely request they do their PDI but don't remove any plastic, don't drill the bumper for the front plate (VA requirement) and no detail. I'm not a detail fanatic - but again, I've been around the business. Removing rail dust and checking OEM paint flaws on delivery is hard after a "detail" from the dealer crew. NOTE - I'm sure some dealers have great detail departments - just not my choice.

So a few days before - my wife and I met up at the dealer to get a number on her trade. I met her up there in my '19 Mustang GT. The used car sales mgr was there that Saturday morning as I pulled in. My Mustang had a few mods. He commented on the exhaust when I pulled up. Asked if I was trading it in on the Bronco. I laughed and said no. I JOKINGLY said if he gave me a certain amount for it - he could buy it from me. About 30 minutes later, he offered me what I PAID FOR IT NEW in '19 - and it had 30K on it. Couldn't turn that down. I have a paid off '12 F150 FX4 5.0 with only 69K on it that I can daily.

They offered us MORE than what we paid for my wife's '17 Mustang convertible used in '18.

When I called to get our preapproval from my CU for the Bronco financing, she made fun of me about selling my Mustang...I had just refinanced it with them.

I let the salesman know up front (again NICELY) that we had financing, and we wouldn't be purchasing any add ons.

By this time, I already knew we'd be upgrading wheels and tires, so the tires were waiting at Discount Tire and the wheels were already in my shop in the boxes.

5/4/22 - went to the dealer and picked it up.

Ford Bronco '22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco. Just off the truck

I started removing plastic, installing mats etc. The wife went around and inspected the paint etc. As we pulled plastic off everything, the salesman was amused. He'd never had a customer request this like I did. While we were doing it, he commented "It's kind of like opening a present on Christmas morning isn't it?" LOL

Got the paperwork done and we drove it home (5 miles on it). Wife couldn't stop grinning. Pulled it in the shop, I yanked the front crash bars. They came out w/o a lot of drama. I did end up loosening the end caps of the mod bumper and did have to remove one OEM side step end cap. Folded the seats and loaded up the wheels - I already had an appointment at Discount Tire.

Wife isn't what I would call a "Car" person, while I've been building / modding / wrenching for over 30 years. (I started young LOL). Even she couldn't believe the difference with the new wheels and tires. I had done the math and some homework - so I figured the 17x8.5 0 offset Motegi Trailites and Nitto Terra Grappler G2s in 315/70/17 would fit nice.

Ford Bronco '22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco. new shoes1

Shout out to Discount Tire - crew there did a great job as always. A few of 'em asked to take pictures of it. My wife was tripping out. Later she told me she was worried how it would drive with the bigger tires / wheels. She said she likes it better all the way around.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I started ordering some stuff here and there and crawling all over it to get familiar. Taking the tops off with the roof rack installed is EASY - ONCE YOU FIGURE out EXACTLY how they have to come out.

Ford Bronco '22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco. topsoffside1

A picture to get an idea of the '22 Bronco size vs the '95 Bronco we redid for my son

Ford Bronco '22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco. posing1

That's original paint on the '95. A quick cut and buff is all I did to exterior. Spent 1.5 years going through what feels like EVERY OTHER NUT AND BOLT. The RH fender needs replaced (I have one prepped) apparently it had a quickie dent repair done probably 20+ years ago. ZERO ROT / RUST on the '95.

I was actually shocked how big the new Bronco is.

The OEM size 20" tires on the F150 look tiny now. I am resisting the urge to go bigger. Only 15K miles on those tires LOL.

OP
OP

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

We live on a gravel drive. While the Nittos are not bad at all about slinging rocks (it can pick up some of course, but they all seem to hit the underside of the OEM step ups) I really didn't relish having mud / water / rain pasting the side of the Bronco...so I wondered about SAS fender flares.

Turns out the PT# listed in the Ford Accessories catalog is not the same as the regular production part numbers. Lucked out and my online Ford Parts go to (FairwayFordParts) had them in stock. @ $370 SHIPPED for the set. (PART # M2DZ16268AB)

Must be nice having a commercial FedEx account. $14 to ship this box from OH to VA.

Ford Bronco '22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco. flares box1

Here's the poke with 17x8.5 0 offset on 315/70/17 with the BASE flares:

Ford Bronco '22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco. Poke1

After installing the FR LH SAS flare:

Ford Bronco '22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco. after sas flare1

With both LH SAS flares installed:

Ford Bronco '22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco. after sas flares2

Anyone need some BASE flares that are essentially new - let me know.

Here's a shot of the rear SAS flare with OEM BB rear bumper (not steel). I found the OEM PT#'s for the plastic bumper extensions - I can get 'em both for $70-90 shipped. Not sure if they are worth it for me, I think the extensions look out of place - just my opinion.

Ford Bronco '22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco. sas flare rear bumper1

OP
OP

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Looks like I'll be ordering the Bestop Twill soft top hopefully today. I need to rig up a hoist setup in the other garage to remove /store the hard top.

TCG77

Base
First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Cobra/4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good and helpful stuff . Thanks

Sponsored
OP
OP

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Got it cleaned up so I can install the Ford / Bushwhacker Trail Armor pinch weld covers then tomorrow pull the top and get the Bestop soft top installed.

Ford Bronco '22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco. clean1

Ford Bronco '22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco. clean2

OP
OP

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Got the trail armor rocker panels installed.

https://accessories.ford.com/products/bronco-2dr-2021-trail-armor-rocker-panels-1

Will get pics tomorrow. You can’t really tell they are an add on - which is what I was looking for. The unfinished look of the lower rockers is gone.

Our BB has factory steps. I ended up taking the steps off to install these. The step itself attaches to the brackets via 4 10mm bolts. Impact made it super quick. Gives access to a rear inner fender trim screw that needs to come out, as the rocker panel ticks under this trim.

The instructions say to simply put that trim screw back in after the rocker panels are installed. Good luck with that. I used painters tape to hold the panel where it should be installed, then used a small screwdriver to poke a hole through the trail armor, into the screw retainer clip so it lined up.

OP
OP

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Got the Bestop top installed.
The rocker panel trim blends in - that's all I wanted from it.

Best mod by far is the soft top.

Ford Bronco '22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco. soft top2

Ford Bronco '22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco. soft top1

OP
OP

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Got a dash camera installed the other day - I have an Amazon list for the Bronco. Normally I just save stuff in there that I might potentially want to buy. I 'bookmark' it in the list so I can go back when I have time and do some digging on fit / finish etc. I had put a dash camera and hard wire kit in the list recommended to me by my co worker. I also had the armrest cover, the glove box divider / organizer and the storage piece that fits over the front of the console. Wasn't real sure on any of it.

Wife saw the stuff in the list and ordered it all. LOL

Anyway, dash cam was an easy install, able to use plastic trim tools to hide the wiring without pulling any trim and you can't even see it while driving (hides behind the rear view mirror).

The glove box divider was actually useful. The console cover was nicer than expected and much more comfortable than OEM - even the wife commented on it. The one thing I really wasn't expecting to like was storage piece that uses 3m tape to fit over the very front of the console.

Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/AUWOAUTO-Org...fix=bronco+gear+shift+organizer,aps,77&sr=8-3

This is not the exact one we bought - I know it wasn't that expensive.

I'm a decent sized guy at 6'3" 230lbs. I figured my leg would hit the organizer. So I installed it temporarily (it will stay in place w/o using the attached 3m double sided tape) to see. We just got back from a couple day getaway - and believe it or not, when running the cruise, my right leg kind of rests up against it while driving and it's not flimsy enough to move around a bunch and it was actually not bothersome at all.

The storage spot on the LH side is perfect to leave my phone in when I need to charge it via USB-C while I'm using wireless CarPlay (if you plug it up via USB it will disconnect wireless CarPlay)

Drove a combo of back roads / highways / interstate - probably @ 400 miles round trip. The Bronco did better than I expected on mileage (this thing is a brick - I NEVER expected it to get good gas mileage plus I ordered 4.27 gears and added 35" tires).

Seat is actually very comfy (cloth heated).

The Bestop soft top is DEFINITELY the best mod so far. It rained all the way when we left Thursday - no issues with the top whatsoever. Sunny and nice on the way back Saturday morning, we had the top back the entire way. It's actually less turbulent with the windows down and the soft top all the way back than it is with just the front MIC top panels removed.

Again, having owned / built / driven a ton of different trucks / SUVs over the years, many of them lifted / larger tires than OEM, I'm still impressed how well the Bronco rides / drives / handles with the 315/70/17 tires / wheels I added. (NO LIFT or spacers).

As for the 2.3...maybe the 4.27 gears help, but I was impressed with the 2.3 in I95 traffic on the last leg home. Of course it was crammed with idiot holiday drivers who slow way down for no reason, hang around in the left lane doing less than the posted 70mph speed limit etc...

The 2.3 had zero trouble shooting gaps and getting in and out of traffic until I could find an open left lane and set the cruise.

Keep in mind - I've been around high HP vehicles all my life. My last daily driver (and the road trip vehicle for my wife and I for 3 years) was a 6 speed manual '19 Mustang GT that was lightly modded. The 2.3 is no HP monster, but it does it's job admirably in the Bronco and plenty for this application in my opinion. The 10spd auto is key here - more gears, closer together, allow the engine to stay in a fatter part of the torque curve.

OP
OP

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ordered Kicker replacement 4" speakers for the dash, replacement 6.75" for the kick panel, a Kicker 200.4 amp and a plug n play harness.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Crutchfield stuff showed up the day after I ordered (they're in VA as well, so that's one benefit for them). Got notice today the Plugnplay harness shipped. Odds are it'll get here Monday.

I also ordered the AFe Power High tuck single exit exhaust and I have The Ranger Lariat 2.3 engine cover kit on the way.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Love the progression of your rig. Looking forward to taking mine in a similar direction. Also, the '95 looks great!

twyoung1975

Base
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 C10, Nissan Versa, Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nice Bronco! Kind of like you, I ordered in January expecting to take delivery in late Fall, not in April. I do feel bad for those folks still waiting 18 months later. But I love my Bronco, and I am glad it got here ealry enough to enjoy the top open before it gets a million degrees here in Alabama

OP
OP

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Installed the Ranger 2.3 engine cover. Everyone has their thing - the tone / volume annoyed me when idling in my shop. Makes a definite difference muffling some of the 2.3's injection noise. Snaps / bolts right in place. You have to order the fasteners as well.

Ford Bronco '22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco. ranger engine cover.JPG

I'd do it again. It's just hard foam - not plastic. It's reinforced at the bolt locations. I don't care about engine noise in the Bronco - top is most always down and the stereo is always on. But the idle being amplified in my shop - this was worth it for me. Really couldn't care less how it looks.

Reactions: abe

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Installed the Ranger 2.3 engine cover. Everyone has their thing - the tone / volume annoyed me when idling in my shop. Makes a definite difference muffling some of the 2.3's injection noise. Snaps / bolts right in place. You have to order the fasteners as well.

Ford Bronco '22 Big Bend 2 door - The "Wife's" Bronco. ranger engine cover.JPG

I'd do it again. It's just hard foam - not plastic. It's reinforced at the bolt locations. I don't care about engine noise in the Bronco - top is most always down and the stereo is always on. But the idle being amplified in my shop - this was worth it for me. Really couldn't care less how it looks.
Hi - can you post a pic of the installed engine cover? I have a BB 2.3L and am thinking of doing the same. Thanks!
Sponsored