First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just added a subwoofer to my Outer Banks w/ LUX & B&O Sounds system. In my opinion, the factory B&O sub is not very good. Perhaps just putting a new speaker in place of the factory sub would work, but I think the problem is more likely in the amp, but you wouldn't know until you tried it. It would be really hard to replace the factory amp, so adding an amp and connecting it to factor sub or aftermarket sub would be just as much work, so i opted for an additional sub. I may eventually tune the 8" factory sub to cover the midrange/higher low range frequencies.

I installed a 600W Alpine amp and a 10" Alpine subwoofer tube. All in about $250-300 with parts and wiring. It sounds incredible, i worked as a custom car audio installer and built several state competition winning vehicles... it's not a competition sound, but sounds great. This is my first post so hopefully this works, i'm adding some pics of the factory sub and wiring.

I used my AUX switch #6 for my remote wire, that way i can turn off the "extra" bass when necessary, without having to have a separate bass control knob. If you haven't wired any of your AUX switches yet, it's pretty easy. The hardest part is the glove box... the wires aren't long enough so getting both hands into the small space to splice them together was tough.

I installed a 8 AWG power wire from an empty battery post > new 40A fuse block > Driver's side firewall (gasketed hole already there, no drilling needed). Ran Power down drivers side under the door jams. Grounded near the amp on a factory grounding post. Installed a LOC from the factory wiring. There are four speaker wires going to the factory sub. My LOC had four speaker inputs. Because I've read that the factory B&O system tones down the subwoofer at higher volumes, I wanted a fuller sound without that downscaling. So i used the speaker wires from the Rear left speaker, and one of the pairs from the subwoofer. Ran RCA's from the LOC to the sub. Connect everything, and good to go. Total install time, about 4.5 hours.

Be very careful removing the rear panels. The clips are tricky. I didn't break any of the main clips, but did break some of the small ones. Putting it back together was not easy, and my softtop closure is tighter now.

Wiring:
screenshot-2021-10-21-130933-png.png

Factory Sub & Amps (blue wires are my subwoofer > LOC splice)
1-jpg.jpg

2-jpg.jpg

4-jpg.jpg

DRIVER REAR Speaker Tie-in
3-jpg.jpg

Sub and amp installed:
6-jpg.jpg

7-jpg.jpg

8-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

jmoney

Big Bend
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Awesome post and congrats on the build. I am still waiting for someone to take that wall off who did not have B n O to see if any woofer additions can be done there. Glad you got the sound you wanted.

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Zen A2B unit may work with that. I believe the firmware for the F150, works with the Ranger - so it may work on the Bronco. I cant imagine the bus for A2B is THAT different across ford models. That wouldn't make much sense.

My old truck I used the A2B unit. It has TOSLINK out, so I could go into a JL VXi 5 channel amp with just a single wire. IDatalink makes a speaker harness that plugs into the speaker out harness that goes FROM the ford B&O amp. Usually integrating into premium systems is a pain but B&O is super easy. All you really need to run is power/ground battery.

My problem with the B&O sub, is the signal going to the sub is quite a bit altered. Probably fine for what you are doing. You said it sounds great so thats all that matters!.

I went simple on this. I dont have B&O so I just made a harness to intercept and ran to a Fosgate amp I have under the seat.

Car stereo stuff is fun.

Ford Bronco Subwoofer & Amp Install in B&O System (OuterBanks/LUX/Sasq/B&O/4dr) - Writeup DIY IMG_0954

I built an enclosure which sounds great but takes up too much room.
Ford Bronco Subwoofer & Amp Install in B&O System (OuterBanks/LUX/Sasq/B&O/4dr) - Writeup DIY IMG_1017

So I replaced with one of those removable Kicker Tubbies.
Ford Bronco Subwoofer & Amp Install in B&O System (OuterBanks/LUX/Sasq/B&O/4dr) - Writeup DIY IMG_0980

Sponsored

Mango&Moose

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

following

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

well I'm glad that the B&O does just fine for me, great in fact, but I'm past my days of blasting my ears off. This wiring is way above anything I'd ever attempt anymore, I doubt I'll ever take a single panel off myself. Been decades since I last played around with stereo stuff and eventually swore never again after yet an other hand or finger caught in some suddenly closing gap, LOL. But great to see the creativity! I'm sure that sub rattles the neighborhood! Very nicely built in, the other examples here as well. Keep on rocking!

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Awesome post. Now what’s the fix for the horrible rear pods that sound like tiny Bluetooth speakers?

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just added a subwoofer to my Outer Banks w/ LUX & B&O Sounds system. In my opinion, the factory B&O sub is not very good. Perhaps just putting a new speaker in place of the factory sub would work, but I think the problem is more likely in the amp, but you wouldn't know until you tried it. It would be really hard to replace the factory amp, so adding an amp and connecting it to factor sub or aftermarket sub would be just as much work, so i opted for an additional sub. I may eventually tune the 8" factory sub to cover the midrange/higher low range frequencies.

I installed a 600W Alpine amp and a 10" Alpine subwoofer tube. All in about $250-300 with parts and wiring. It sounds incredible, i worked as a custom car audio installer and built several state competition winning vehicles... it's not a competition sound, but sounds great. This is my first post so hopefully this works, i'm adding some pics of the factory sub and wiring.

I used my AUX switch #6 for my remote wire, that way i can turn off the "extra" bass when necessary, without having to have a separate bass control knob. If you haven't wired any of your AUX switches yet, it's pretty easy. The hardest part is the glove box... the wires aren't long enough so getting both hands into the small space to splice them together was tough.

I installed a 8 AWG power wire from an empty battery post > new 40A fuse block > Driver's side firewall (gasketed hole already there, no drilling needed). Ran Power down drivers side under the door jams. Grounded near the amp on a factory grounding post. Installed a LOC from the factory wiring. There are four speaker wires going to the factory sub. My LOC had four speaker inputs. Because I've read that the factory B&O system tones down the subwoofer at higher volumes, I wanted a fuller sound without that downscaling. So i used the speaker wires from the Rear left speaker, and one of the pairs from the subwoofer. Ran RCA's from the LOC to the sub. Connect everything, and good to go. Total install time, about 4.5 hours.

Be very careful removing the rear panels. The clips are tricky. I didn't break any of the main clips, but did break some of the small ones. Putting it back together was not easy, and my softtop closure is tighter now.

Wiring:
Ford Bronco Subwoofer & Amp Install in B&O System (OuterBanks/LUX/Sasq/B&O/4dr) - Writeup DIY IMG_0980

Factory Sub & Amps (blue wires are my subwoofer > LOC splice)

DRIVER REAR Speaker Tie-in

Sub and amp installed:

Nice write up and wiring info. Can't go wrong with Alpine, although I am all Polk Audio these days. Just going to swap out the 4s and 6s with Polk Marine speakers with 90-92db sensitivity and EQ the crap out of them.

Sponsored

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went crazy with mine. It's loud AF also. I'm going to add 2 more 8" Marine Towers also.

Ford Bronco Subwoofer & Amp Install in B&O System (OuterBanks/LUX/Sasq/B&O/4dr) - Writeup DIY 20210914_164231

Ford Bronco Subwoofer & Amp Install in B&O System (OuterBanks/LUX/Sasq/B&O/4dr) - Writeup DIY 20210914_164231
Holy hell!!! I assume this is more for tailgates and stuff with the everything facing backwards? How's the rattle? Did you dynamat this thing?

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Holy hell!!! I assume this is more for tailgates and stuff with the everything facing backwards? How's the rattle? Did you dynamat this thing?
Not sure I wanna 4 wheel behind you ! 🤔

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went crazy with mine. It's loud AF also. I'm going to add 2 more 8" Marine Towers also.

Also, did you put a Cap in line? Do your lights turn off completely when the bass hits lol. This is nuts! I'm impressed.
Sponsored