Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went crazy with mine. It's loud AF also. I'm going to add 2 more 8" Marine Towers also.

20210914_164310.jpg

20210914_164231.jpg
"Trunk space? What does that mean?
I think you meant to say speaker space."

stbanning

Badlands
First Name
sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 platinum, mazdaspeed miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just added a subwoofer to my Outer Banks w/ LUX & B&O Sounds system. In my opinion, the factory B&O sub is not very good. Perhaps just putting a new speaker in place of the factory sub would work, but I think the problem is more likely in the amp, but you wouldn't know until you tried it. It would be really hard to replace the factory amp, so adding an amp and connecting it to factor sub or aftermarket sub would be just as much work, so i opted for an additional sub. I may eventually tune the 8" factory sub to cover the midrange/higher low range frequencies.

I installed a 600W Alpine amp and a 10" Alpine subwoofer tube. All in about $250-300 with parts and wiring. It sounds incredible, i worked as a custom car audio installer and built several state competition winning vehicles... it's not a competition sound, but sounds great. This is my first post so hopefully this works, i'm adding some pics of the factory sub and wiring.

I used my AUX switch #6 for my remote wire, that way i can turn off the "extra" bass when necessary, without having to have a separate bass control knob. If you haven't wired any of your AUX switches yet, it's pretty easy. The hardest part is the glove box... the wires aren't long enough so getting both hands into the small space to splice them together was tough.

I installed a 8 AWG power wire from an empty battery post > new 40A fuse block > Driver's side firewall (gasketed hole already there, no drilling needed). Ran Power down drivers side under the door jams. Grounded near the amp on a factory grounding post. Installed a LOC from the factory wiring. There are four speaker wires going to the factory sub. My LOC had four speaker inputs. Because I've read that the factory B&O system tones down the subwoofer at higher volumes, I wanted a fuller sound without that downscaling. So i used the speaker wires from the Rear left speaker, and one of the pairs from the subwoofer. Ran RCA's from the LOC to the sub. Connect everything, and good to go. Total install time, about 4.5 hours.

Be very careful removing the rear panels. The clips are tricky. I didn't break any of the main clips, but did break some of the small ones. Putting it back together was not easy, and my softtop closure is tighter now.

Wiring:
screenshot-2021-10-21-130933-png.png

Factory Sub & Amps (blue wires are my subwoofer > LOC splice)
1-jpg.jpg

2-jpg.jpg

4-jpg.jpg

DRIVER REAR Speaker Tie-in
3-jpg.jpg

Sub and amp installed:
6-jpg.jpg

7-jpg.jpg

8-jpg.jpg
Did you happen to take any measurements of the factory sub?was thinking about trying to use factory box with a better sub. Looks like it may need to be a little smaller with an adapter plate

OP
OP
GGOuterBanksSquatch
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did you happen to take any measurements of the factory sub?was thinking about trying to use factory box with a better sub. Looks like it may need to be a little smaller with an adapter plate
no I didn’t, sorry. I didn’t even take it out of its enclosure. If I open that panel up again I’ll send pics.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GGOuterBanksSquatch
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Awesome post and congrats on the build. I am still waiting for someone to take that wall off who did not have B n O to see if any woofer additions can be done there. Glad you got the sound you wanted.
theres actually a lot of space above the wheel well behind the panels. If you look at the pic of the drivers side you can see how much space there is above the wheel well. I bet a guy could build a custom enclosure embedded into the panel to save valuable save cargo. I was surprised how much space was there when I opened it up. If I’d known I’d have taken it off, taken measurements, and designed a custom enclosure on that side.

OP
OP
GGOuterBanksSquatch
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
that’s awesome work! Unfortunately I need as much cargo space as I can
I went crazy with mine. It's loud AF also. I'm going to add 2 more 8" Marine Towers also.

Ford Bronco Subwoofer & Amp Install in B&O System (OuterBanks/LUX/Sasq/B&O/4dr) - Writeup DIY omg-om

Ford Bronco Subwoofer & Amp Install in B&O System (OuterBanks/LUX/Sasq/B&O/4dr) - Writeup DIY omg-om
that looks awesome. I was going for a little more bump, may gain setting is almost zero. You’re going to give the whole town a concert with that beast.

cigartexan

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 F100 SS - 2012 F-350 SD - 2021 4D Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Also, did you put a Cap in line? Do your lights turn off completely when the bass hits lol. This is nuts! I'm impressed.
That looks like one hell of a boxed Cap on the bottom to me!
Ford Bronco Subwoofer & Amp Install in B&O System (OuterBanks/LUX/Sasq/B&O/4dr) - Writeup DIY 20210914_164231

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That looks like one hell of a boxed Cap on the bottom to me!
Ford Bronco Subwoofer & Amp Install in B&O System (OuterBanks/LUX/Sasq/B&O/4dr) - Writeup DIY 20210914_164231
I assumed that was a ground plate back to negative to limit multiple large gauge wire running back to negative through the panels. I've never boxed a cap for heat dissipation reasons.

Sponsored

HardenUp

First Edition
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I’ve only had my bronco for one day, so I’ll admit that I haven’t been able to play with it much yet. But I don’t feel the sub is the problem (although an upgrade would certainly improve the overall sound). I think the issue is no speakers in the middle of the vehicle. All I hear are the front speakers and it’s underwhelming. I’m really disappointed in the B&O so far….

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I’ve only had my bronco for one day, so I’ll admit that I haven’t been able to play with it much yet. But I don’t feel the sub is the problem (although an upgrade would certainly improve the overall sound). I think the issue is no speakers in the middle of the vehicle. All I hear are the front speakers and it’s underwhelming. I’m really disappointed in the B&O so far….
Fade all the way to the back and you will quickly see the issue. The rear pods are absolutely worthless. They are the same garbage speakers used in the base system and are not amplified. The B&O soundstage is all in front of you.

moviedude

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco/4runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have my Badlands with just the mid package… no bump at all…open to suggestions.. need a sub and amp… anything else?

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So instead of crawling over rocks, my guess is you will be crushing them with sound? Makes for an easy straight path. Lol. Nicely done Sir!

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fade all the way to the back and you will quickly see the issue. The rear pods are absolutely worthless. They are the same garbage speakers used in the base system and are not amplified. The B&O soundstage is all in front of you.
Having a distinct front stage is critical for stereo imaging. Just about every car I built and competed in had no rear speakers at all. Having them would narrow the front stage to the point that there was very little imaging. Impressive systems have most of the attention focussed to the front of the vehicle, and a subwoofer level that is linear to what the front can produce.
Sponsored