Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey folks,

So in another thread I mentioned I had recently purchased some Mickey Thompsons Baja Boss A/T tires in a 35x12.5R17 size.

I'm in a 2021 Bronco Badlands with Sasquatch package (4 door), which currently has the OEM Goodyear tires, which is 315/70R17 in size. For those of you who changed from the OEM size (Sasquatch) to a 35x12.5R17, did you have any issue mounting the spare tire on the back? Based off the tire size comparison shown below, the new tires are ever so slightly taller and wider. Any issues with the spare tire hitting the top of the rear bumper (overall height) or hitting the back of the tailgate (overall width)? I don't expect it'll be an issue, but wanted to inquire with those who have already gone with this new size (could be a different tire brand, doesn't matter).

I'll be using the OEM Sasquatch wheels too, so that's another important factor to my question.

Also, any issues with the front wheels rubbing on full turn? Can't imagine the tiny bit of a difference is an issue, but wanted to confirm.

Thanks in advance!

Ford Bronco 35x12.5R17 vs. 315/70R17 Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 9.52.11 AM
Sponsored

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I put BFGs 35x12.5x17 on my WT, no issues with any of the questions you asked above. Everything works as it should!

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ran those tires on Sasquatch wheels you will have no problems with your spare.
Thank you both for the quick confirmation!

@Frankie945 - Since you ran the same tires on the same wheels at the same size: What's your thoughts on the setup? Did you notice anything noticeably better (or worse) going from the Goodyears to these?

My question is both for the tire brand itself, but also the slight upsizing.

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey folks,

So in another thread I mentioned I had recently purchased some Mickey Thompsons Baja Boss A/T tires in a 35x12.5R17 size.

I'm in a 2021 Bronco Badlands with Sasquatch package (4 door), which currently has the OEM Goodyear tires, which is 315/70R17 in size. For those of you who changed from the OEM size (Sasquatch) to a 35x12.5R17, did you have any issue mounting the spare tire on the back? Based off the tire size comparison shown below, the new tires are ever so slightly taller and wider. Any issues with the spare tire hitting the top of the rear bumper (overall height) or hitting the back of the tailgate (overall width)? I don't expect it'll be an issue, but wanted to inquire with those who have already gone with this new size (could be a different tire brand, doesn't matter).

I'll be using the OEM Sasquatch wheels too, so that's another important factor to my question.

Also, any issues with the front wheels rubbing on full turn? Can't imagine the tiny bit of a difference is an issue, but wanted to confirm.

Thanks in advance!

Ford Bronco 35x12.5R17 vs. 315/70R17 Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 9.52.11 AM

It looks like the Mickey is 34.5 x 12.8

Ford Bronco 35x12.5R17 vs. 315/70R17 1713978650766-mi

Sponsored

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thank you both for the quick confirmation!

@Frankie945 - Since you ran the same tires on the same wheels at the same size: What's your thoughts on the setup? Did you notice anything noticeably better (or worse) going from the Goodyears to these? My question is both for the tire quality, but also the slight upsizing.

At the time I just wanted a stronger more reliable tire than the oem Goodyears. Those Mickey’s are great in every department I liked them a lot you should be happy with them, they look bad ass too. My only real complaint is how heavy they are. But that’s hard to get away from when you want a tuff tire that will take off road abuse. The moment you leave the tire shop mark my words you will feel the difference. My first thought when I got mine was now I feel like I’m driving an off road vehicle because it reminded me of my previous jeeps I had.

Make sure you rotate on time with them. I had my bronco aligned and the tires still had some cupping that I noticed when I was swapping them out to the kenda 37s I’m running now.

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It looks like the Mickey is 34.5 x 12.8

Ford Bronco 35x12.5R17 vs. 315/70R17 1713978650766-mi
Thanks - I looked at their website multiple times but I was also on the tire comparison site a lot too. Clearly that was lost on me at some point - I guess the ride height will be the same, which is fine by me.

At the time I just wanted a stronger more reliable tire than the oem Goodyears. Those Mickey’s are great in every department I liked them a lot you should be happy with them, they look bad ass too. My only real complaint is how heavy they are. But that’s hard to get away from when you want a tuff tire that will take off road abuse. The moment you leave the tire shop mark my words you will feel the difference. My first thought when I got mine was now I feel like I’m driving an off road vehicle because it reminded me of my previous jeeps I had.

Make sure you rotate on time with them. I had my bronco aligned and the tires still had some cupping that I noticed when I was swapping them out to the kenda 37s I’m running now.
Thanks for the great points - Glad to hear the positive experience. Hopefully the "now I feel like I'm driving an off road vehicle" is a positive thing, haha. Although these are meant to be off-road tires, how was the experience on-road (compared to the OEM Goodyears)?

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks - I looked at their website multiple times but I was also on the tire comparison site a lot too. Clearly that was lost on me at some point - I guess the ride height will be the same, which is fine by me.

Thanks for the great points - Glad to hear the positive experience. Hopefully the "now I feel like I'm driving an off road vehicle" is a positive thing, haha. Although these are meant to be off-road tires, how was the experience on-road (compared to the OEM Goodyears)?
You’re going to love them off road compared to the goodyears. They do grab larger rocks where the Goodyears grab the small rocks when your on gravel roads but your not going to get away from that with these off road AT and RT tires. On road you will notice a little extra weight at first but you quickly get use to it and it’s non existence. If I didn’t get such a good deal on my kenda’s I would have went again with the Baja boss AT in 37”.

Ford Bronco 35x12.5R17 vs. 315/70R17 DSC_0044

Last edited:
OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You’re going to love them off road compared to the goodyears. They do grab larger rocks where the Goodyears grab the small rocks when your on gravel roads but your not going to get away from that with these off road AT and RT tires. On road you will notice a little extra weight at first but you quickly get use to it and it’s non existence. If I didn’t get such a good deal on my kenda’s I would have went again with the Baja boss AT in 37”.

Awesome, thank you! Sounds like they are an awesome all-around tire. I was looking at a few brands, and on the KO2's I kept reading and hearing feedback on their wet road performance not being great. Living in the PNW, I need to have a solid tire in the rain.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome, thank you! Sounds like they are an awesome all-around tire. I was looking at a few brands, and on the KO2's I kept reading and hearing feedback on their wet road performance not being great. Living in the PNW, I need to have a solid tire in the rain.
Only because I plan on going with the MT AT's, it appears that the 35x12.50x17 and 315x70x17 are the exact same size, just a load rating difference and I would avoid the E rating.

Sponsored
OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry, one more question for you: When you added on the heavier Mickey Thompsons as a spare tire, did you need to re-adjust your tailgate at all? I'm assuming you have a reinforcement bracket too?

What about when you added the 37's? Was the alignment off then?

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sorry, one more question for you: When you added on the heavier Mickey Thompsons as a spare tire, did you need to re-adjust your tailgate at all? I'm assuming you have a reinforcement bracket too?

What about when you added the 37's? Was the alignment off then?
I did not at first but later I added one and then I was surprised how much lighter the tailgate felt while opening and closing it. You could get a cheap one like I have it does the job and looks okay. Under 50$ on eBay. If you wheel anlot and hitting bumps and whatnot it would probably be a good idea to have one. Kinda like a preventive thing. And I’ve been slacking on getting my 37s alignment done. It rides good nothing feels off and the tires seem to be wearing even. I’m due to rotate now.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2258275377...ZZwBHg1T_y&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did not at first but later I added one and then I was surprised how much lighter the tailgate felt while opening and closing it. You could get a cheap one like I have it does the job and looks okay. Under 50$ on eBay. If you wheel anlot and hitting bumps and whatnot it would probably be a good idea to have one. Kinda like a preventive thing. And I’ve been slacking on getting my 37s alignment done. It rides good nothing feels off and the tires seem to be wearing even. I’m due to rotate now.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2258275377...ZZwBHg1T_y&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Thanks!

I've already got a tailgate reinforcement bracket on mine - I was just hoping I wouldn't need to re-align the tailgate with these heavier tires as it's kind of a pain.

Ford Bronco 35x12.5R17 vs. 315/70R17 IMG_5052

Diller

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 F250, 2012 Fiesta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I put 35x12.5-17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on my 23 SAS Badlands and had zero issues. Far, far less flinging of rocks compared to the Goodyears, and I prefer a true mud tire.

20240113_123632.jpg

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put 35x12.5-17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on my 23 SAS Badlands and had zero issues. Far, far less flinging of rocks compared to the Goodyears, and I prefer a true mud tire.

20240113_123632.jpg
Looks awesome! If you're throwing rocks with those tires, they'd be boulders! :ROFLMAO:

Extra credit for doggo in the picture too 👌
Sponsored