Sponsored

4-door rear seats supposed to fold flat?

sportcoupe

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just picked up my new 4-door a couple weeks ago. I noticed that the rear seats do not seem to fold totally flat. Are they supposed to or is there a mod I can do short of standing on them, LOL.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They do not fold flat and are not supposed to fold flat. The Bronco Sport has fold-flat seats but not the bigger Bronco.

If you install the slide-out tailgate you can get a reasonably flat loading surface (not completely flat but close, the seats will still be slightly slanted). There are also some third part vendors that offer platforms.

Or… if you check out other posts on this forum, there are lots of people who have built platforms out of plywood and whatnot that provide a flat-ish floor. You can also just pull out the rear seats completely and build a platform. Lots of options.

OP
OP
sportcoupe

sportcoupe

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I want to mount by fridge in the second row with seats folded so we have access while driving. That is what sparked my question.

I do not want fridge all the way in the cargo area like most do. No access way back there, LOL.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want to mount by fridge in the second row with seats folded so we have access while driving. That is what sparked my question.

I do not want fridge all the way in the cargo area like most do. No access way back there, LOL.
If that’s the end-goal you’re looking at coming up with a custom solution.

Most people who want fold-flat seats want it for sleeping… so it’s fine if it has a slight incline on it. But if you need it actually flat… time to go to the hardware store.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They get pretty flat. They won't be level with the step down into the cargo area. But if you're talking about how level the seat actually goes, it does pretty good. The weight of your fridge, especially loaded, should flatten it even more.

Of course make sure that there's nothing under the seat, and the headrest needs to be angled so that it goes between the folded seat and the front seat (aka not folder So far back that it's interfering with the bent seat).

If I climb on top of that seat, my body weight pushes it down further and even more level.

Ford Bronco 4-door rear seats supposed to fold flat? 20230403_091919

Sponsored
OP
OP
sportcoupe

sportcoupe

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's 8° folded flat. Even with my full body weight applied, it is still at 5°. That's just compressing the cushions some.

I feel a mechanical hard stop when seat folds but I can't locate it. It may be possible to shim or adjust this stop if we can find it. Otherwise, I will make a shim under the fridge to level it.

TomH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They do not fold flat and are not supposed to fold flat. The Bronco Sport has fold-flat seats but not the bigger Bronco.

If you install the slide-out tailgate you can get a reasonably flat loading surface (not completely flat but close, the seats will still be slightly slanted). There are also some third part vendors that offer platforms.

Or… if you check out other posts on this forum, there are lots of people who have built platforms out of plywood and whatnot that provide a flat-ish floor. You can also just pull out the rear seats completely and build a platform. Lots of options.
I Like the tailgate...but a little pricey
Sponsored