Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2022 2D/Manual Badlands non Sas

While shifting gears in 4L I hear a clank-clank-clack when sliding in/out of gear. Clutch fully engaged. There appears to be no other issues, just a concerning rattle sound. No grinding sounds or resistance to picking gears. The sound also does not happen if I were to just roll in neutral or roll with the clutch in.

I don't think this is related already known issues with the transmission as this sound only happens while shifting gears in 4 low. I assume if there is an issues its in the transfer case.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any ideas?

I will obviously be taking it in for service, but I don't drive much so that might no be for a while.
Sponsored

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every 7MT I have been around, including mine does the same thing in 4L. I don't have a reason for it, just know that it does it. I have not heard of anyone complaining about damage due to the noise.

You are correct that this is different than the other transmission grinding that some owners hear.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine has a rattle as well and I think it is coming from the rear locker. 2-door Badlands manual. Listen to my video and see if it sounds familiar.

OP
OP
Bronc_Bronc

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine has a rattle as well and I think it is coming from the rear locker. 2-door Badlands manual. Listen to my video and see if it sounds familiar.

It does sound similar actually, though I don't hear it from the rear dif, I hear it from directly underneath, and there is also a bit of a feeling in the shifter....

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmmm, mine does it whether or not the rear locker is engaged. Additionally, if it was the rear locker I don't think it would only occur in 4L.

Also, doesn't sound like it's coming from the rear. Sounds like it is coming from the area around the transfer case.

Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe the chain drive for 4Lo is bouncing around inside the transfer case? Any driveline torsional vibrations would be more evident on a manual, and dampened by the torque converter in an automatic.

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

To clarify, does the noise happen when you’re moving the shifter between gears, or as you depress the clutch?
I find mine makes a noise similar to how you described in 4L if you depress the clutch too quickly.

OP
OP
Bronc_Bronc

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To clarify, does the noise happen when you’re moving the shifter between gears, or as you depress the clutch?
I find mine makes a noise similar to how you described in 4L if you depress the clutch too quickly.
When shifting, not when pressing the clutch. Can roll with the clutch pressed in, in or out of gear, without a sound. Only while actually shifting.
Sponsored