Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
  • Banned
With the standard 4x4 on base and big ben, if a wheel slips does the system route torque to the wheel(s) that are not slipping? If so, how does it do this?
Sponsored

OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
  • Banned
Open diffs.

It will independently brake the wheel that’s spinning to force the wheel with traction to move.
Thanks! What l was looking for. I'm not an off roader and deciding on locking rear or not.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks! What l was looking for. I'm not an off roader and deciding on locking rear or not.
My guess is you will probably never need it then. But usually people go for the gears that come with the locker, 4.27's or 4.46's. But plenty of people will get by with the open rears.

Sponsored

Ambassador

Badlands
First Name
Standing_Bear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 2022 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It comes with fancy knob. Just turn and have fun. One more turn and Bronco tells its wheels why you turned it for!!!
Makes a amateur to be a pro

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The only reason why you should get a locking diff when you know you'll never use it is for resale in ten years.

And that won't account for much.

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With the standard 4x4 on base and big ben, if a wheel slips does the system route torque to the wheel(s) that are not slipping? If so, how does it do this?
If you can afford it, then go with the the upgrade it won't hurt you any and it leaves room for you to explore a new hobby. But dont let all the bells an whistles pull you from your budget... that's my opinion ?

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and a Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The base manual 4x4 system goes from 2wd where the front drive shaft is free spinning to locking the front and rear driveshaft so they both rotate at the same speed all the time. This is not recommended on dry pavement as the driveshafts need to spin at different speeds when you turn around corners. It's fine off road where wheels slip anyway. With this system, if you lose traction on one tire, the tire on the other side won't get any power until the computer traction control kicks in.

The automatic 4x4 upgrade package has a differential in the transfer case so that the driveshafts are connected but allowed to rotate at different speeds. This can be used on road without worry. Some of the GOAT modes may lock the driveshafts together for off road modes. Someone else who knows for sure can chime in to verify that. With the differential in the transfer case, losing traction at one tire will cause all of the energy to be diverted to that one tire. Of course, the computer traction control will sense this and apply the brake to that wheel and some of the energy will be diverted to the other tires as a result.

Locking differentials are a useful feature to have even if you're never going to go off road. I had a Wrangler with locking differentials. I was driving in a snow storm (on top of icy roads) and even the manual 4x4 wasn't enough to get me up the hill. And the Jeep had the computer run traction control. With 4x4 engaged and differentials locked I was able to make it up the very slick hill and get home. So put it in the "nice to have but not vital" category at least.

mylittlepony

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wrangler / 09 TC Series 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have 2 questions pertaining to the GOAT modes. I've read plenty but have not found these specifics so please chime away.

1. can GOAT modes be selected at random as needed as the vehicle is in motion[on the fly]?
2. if you do not opt for 4A[advanced] traction option, when selecting 'slippery' GOAT, does the transfer case engage 4H or 2H?
thanks

p/s my 95 wrangler got stuck for a spell with high snow[4']. was shocked when opened difs in manual 4x had me use all of my 4 wheeling snow tactics to get out on stock setup/wheels.
i had a lot of practice b/c done it often enough. I'm always in forlocking rear and that's coming from a'city slicker'.

Sponsored
OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
The base manual 4x4 system goes from 2wd where the front drive shaft is free spinning to locking the front and rear driveshaft so they both rotate at the same speed all the time. This is not recommended on dry pavement as the driveshafts need to spin at different speeds when you turn around corners. It's fine off road where wheels slip anyway. With this system, if you lose traction on one tire, the tire on the other side won't get any power until the computer traction control kicks in.

The automatic 4x4 upgrade package has a differential in the transfer case so that the driveshafts are connected but allowed to rotate at different speeds. This can be used on road without worry. Some of the GOAT modes may lock the driveshafts together for off road modes. Someone else who knows for sure can chime in to verify that. With the differential in the transfer case, losing traction at one tire will cause all of the energy to be diverted to that one tire. Of course, the computer traction control will sense this and apply the brake to that wheel and some of the energy will be diverted to the other tires as a result.

Locking differentials are a useful feature to have even if you're never going to go off road. I had a Wrangler with locking differentials. I was driving in a snow storm (on top of icy roads) and even the manual 4x4 wasn't enough to get me up the hill. And the Jeep had the computer run traction control. With 4x4 engaged and differentials locked I was able to make it up the very slick hill and get home. So put it in the "nice to have but not vital" category at least.
Thanks for this information. I'm thinking of going with the standard system with rear locker.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The system has clutch plates, not a diff...

Screenshot_20220121-094805_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220121-094724_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored