Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey y'all,

I have always enjoyed reading about the journey's people take in their broncos so I was excited to share mine. I just got back from my trip which I did over the course of five days.

On day one I departed from Dallas, Tx to Albuquerque and the Sandia Mountains. I have a friend who is a travel nurse over there so I decided to visit him.

On the way to New Mexico before slightly after Childress, Tx I saw a little off road trail I decided to explore for a little to let my dog run around in. It was pretty cool and it connected to Caprock Canyon State Park.
Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park IMG_9358

Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park IMG_4203

I honestly haven't traveled within the United States much, so when I approached New Mexico and see the landscape change I was honestly astonished. The green mountains kept my jaw open for the majority of the ride from Amarillo to Albuquerque. When we arrived it was about to become dark, but I got to capture some nice photos of the mountains.
Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park IMG_4233

The next day we hiked up the Sandia Mountains and took some awesome pictures for my dog's tinder profile. We then set out for Lake City, CO later that evening. It has always been a dream of mine to do the Alpine Loop ever since I saw what it was from another forum poster. We arrived in Lake City and I had never seen stars the way they should be viewed, I once again couldn't believe my eyes.
Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park IMG_9387

Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park IMG_9419

Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park IMG_4289

The following morning we set out for the Alpine Loop, going from Lake City to Silverton crossing over Cinnamon pass. The route was absolutely amazing and I just kept telling people I couldn't believe what I was seeing. In a stock outer banks bronco I had no difficulty getting up to Cinnamon Pass, even with the patches of snow and streams running down the mountain. Once I got up to the peak of Cinnamon Pass I got out of the car and realized how cold, windy, and dry it was, so I continued enjoying the view from inside with my heater on full blast. Heading down I had a couple of scrapes here in there but nothing too crazy, I might have been going down too fast to be honest. I then had a little lunch break at Animas Fork and continued for Silverton. Some people at Animas were saying the Engineer Pass was pretty difficult to get to due to the snowy conditions, so we opted to take the highway from Silverton to Ouray the following morning. The drive was for sure the most beautiful scenery I had ever seen, I now understand why it is called the million dollar highway.
Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park IMG_9437_(1)

Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park IMG_4460

Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park IMG_4468

Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park IMG_8941

Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park IMG_9434_(1)

We spent some time in Ouray looking at some shops and the waterfall then we headed back to Lake City. The drive from Ouray to Lake City was also quite nice but after the first hour or so I felt like the road got quite busy, maybe it was the timing. Once we arrived to Lake City in the afternoon we were pretty exhausted so we checked into our place for the night and the owners were kind enough to tell us about the scenic walk along the river into town. We chose to do that versus hiking as my dog was exhausted from our adventures. He even had the audacity to request to be carried at the end. We got dinner in the town and watched the sunset from the balcony of our motel with a fire, it was the perfect way to wind down the trip.

Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park IMG_4613

Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park IMG_4596

The next morning we set for home, which is Dallas. We were not fond of the idea of driving 14 hours in one go so we got a last second Airbnb in Amarillo. On the way home, we were talking about how cool it would be to visit more national parks as I have the opportunity to be a travel nurse now. As I was saying that, I saw a sign for the Great Sand Dunes National Park. I took that as a sign and went. It was awesome seeing sand dunes like that, as I had only seen them in the middle east. I switched the bronco to sand mode and hit the little trail they had and the bronco rocked it. I then tried to hike up the sand dune with my dog but the wind was blowing like crazy and my dog wasn't a fan and neither was I, so we enjoyed the water for a little and continued our journey home.
Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park IMG_0244

In the end I ended up driving 2,145 miles in the span of six days. I spent $325 on gas which I thought wasn't too bad. My dog had a wonderful time and I got plenty of photos for his doggy tinder. I got back to Dallas today and got the car detailed and the dog washed. In the end, I would say this was hands down the best trip of my life and I look forward to exploring more in the Bronco. Since owning it since Aug 2022 I have put on a bit over 20,000 miles. Needless to say I love driving this thing.
Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park 70959242022__EE4E8F3D-9B06-44B1-9F7B-0AE376C3FA3C
Sponsored

I Like Soup

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram PowerWagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like an incredible trip! I am in Ouray and did Cinnamon the other day. It looks like you successfully hit some of the major highlights around here, well done.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad it got you out of your own back yard. Thanks for sharing & Enjoy 🤠

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I love this!! You hiked all the way to the peak of Sandia?? That's pretty good if you did. Either way it's a goreous mountain I'm sure you were in heaven. The views are amazing too. Doggie tinder?? He must get all the bitches. LOL

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hey y'all,

I have always enjoyed reading about the journey's people take in their broncos so I was excited to share mine. I just got back from my trip which I did over the course of five days.

On day one I departed from Dallas, Tx to Albuquerque and the Sandia Mountains. I have a friend who is a travel nurse over there so I decided to visit him.

On the way to New Mexico before slightly after Childress, Tx I saw a little off road trail I decided to explore for a little to let my dog run around in. It was pretty cool and it connected to Caprock Canyon State Park.
Ford Bronco 5 Day Bronco Trip: Sandia Mountains -> Alpine Loop -> Great Sand Dunes National Park 70959242022__EE4E8F3D-9B06-44B1-9F7B-0AE376C3FA3C

I honestly haven't traveled within the United States much, so when I approached New Mexico and see the landscape change I was honestly astonished. The green mountains kept my jaw open for the majority of the ride from Amarillo to Albuquerque. When we arrived it was about to become dark, but I got to capture some nice photos of the mountains.

The next day we hiked up the Sandia Mountains and took some awesome pictures for my dog's tinder profile. We then set out for Lake City, CO later that evening. It has always been a dream of mine to do the Alpine Loop ever since I saw what it was from another forum poster. We arrived in Lake City and I had never seen stars the way they should be viewed, I once again couldn't believe my eyes.

The following morning we set out for the Alpine Loop, going from Lake City to Silverton crossing over Cinnamon pass. The route was absolutely amazing and I just kept telling people I couldn't believe what I was seeing. In a stock outer banks bronco I had no difficulty getting up to Cinnamon Pass, even with the patches of snow and streams running down the mountain. Once I got up to the peak of Cinnamon Pass I got out of the car and realized how cold, windy, and dry it was, so I continued enjoying the view from inside with my heater on full blast. Heading down I had a couple of scrapes here in there but nothing too crazy, I might have been going down too fast to be honest. I then had a little lunch break at Animas Fork and continued for Silverton. Some people at Animas were saying the Engineer Pass was pretty difficult to get to due to the snowy conditions, so we opted to take the highway from Silverton to Ouray the following morning. The drive was for sure the most beautiful scenery I had ever seen, I now understand why it is called the million dollar highway.

We spent some time in Ouray looking at some shops and the waterfall then we headed back to Lake City. The drive from Ouray to Lake City was also quite nice but after the first hour or so I felt like the road got quite busy, maybe it was the timing. Once we arrived to Lake City in the afternoon we were pretty exhausted so we checked into our place for the night and the owners were kind enough to tell us about the scenic walk along the river into town. We chose to do that versus hiking as my dog was exhausted from our adventures. He even had the audacity to request to be carried at the end. We got dinner in the town and watched the sunset from the balcony of our motel with a fire, it was the perfect way to wind down the trip.

The next morning we set for home, which is Dallas. We were not fond of the idea of driving 14 hours in one go so we got a last second Airbnb in Amarillo. On the way home, we were talking about how cool it would be to visit more national parks as I have the opportunity to be a travel nurse now. As I was saying that, I saw a sign for the Great Sand Dunes National Park. I took that as a sign and went. It was awesome seeing sand dunes like that, as I had only seen them in the middle east. I switched the bronco to sand mode and hit the little trail they had and the bronco rocked it. I then tried to hike up the sand dune with my dog but the wind was blowing like crazy and my dog wasn't a fan and neither was I, so we enjoyed the water for a little and continued our journey home.

In the end I ended up driving 2,145 miles in the span of six days. I spent $325 on gas which I thought wasn't too bad. My dog had a wonderful time and I got plenty of photos for his doggy tinder. I got back to Dallas today and got the car detailed and the dog washed. In the end, I would say this was hands down the best trip of my life and I look forward to exploring more in the Bronco. Since owning it since Aug 2022 I have put on a bit over 20,000 miles. Needless to say I love driving this thing.
So glad you're enjoying your Bronco! Thanks for sharing!

desibull

Black Diamond
First Name
Mahesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey y'all,

Looks like an awesome trip!! Glad you are enjoying your Bronco. I hope to do one sometime this year.

OhhhhhhSnap

Black Diamond
First Name
Elan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pathfinder, 04 F150, 14 CRV. 22 BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Dullah

Hopefully you did Medano Pass while you were at the Sand Dunes? Such a great/fun train.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Glad you enjoyed Albuquerque! I get to enjoy that view year-round. Love it here!
Sponsored