Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LMFAO... September.... That's not going to happen, we all know it. I wish, I really do, that we'd be getting off the mountain today, if possible. I would eat a pallet of humble pie to be that wrong.
But…but…but… Ford said so!
Sponsored

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

But…but…but… Ford said so!
I thought that was when Ford was going to communicate some kind of time frame for when the dirt lot units could expect the top to be replaced? Not when they would be replaced. Maybe i just read it wrong though. I was thinking September they start production of MIC 2.0 and those would start to get swapped on units in October. I'm just hoping against all odds i get my 7/14 dirt lot build before Christmas.

calx

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '98 Nissan Stagea
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I thought that was when Ford was going to communicate some kind of time frame for when the dirt lot units could expect the top to be replaced? Not when they would be replaced. Maybe i just read it wrong though. I was thinking September they start production of MIC 2.0 and those would start to get swapped on units in October. I'm just hoping against all odds i get my 7/14 dirt lot build before Christmas.
Same... hoping before Thanksgiving myself. Still zero communication from Ford or the dealership. I have a Colorado roadtrip in late November planned with the Bronco in mind, so if it doesn't get delivered by then, I'll have to rent a vehicle. 😑

Rlack75

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly.
Parole notifications in September is what I was discussing.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, I think that we can safely estimate that Ford needs approximately 15,000 tops to complete their commitments for 2021 VIN holders and FE orders (I think that's at a minimum).

If they start production on September 15th and run to December 15th (assuming delivery in 2021), they have no more than 78 production days to build 15,000 tops. They will need to average 200 quality checked and passed hardtops per day to make it.

Now, assuming that Ford doesn't start production until October 1st and that all 2021 hardtops need to be ready for shipment prior to 1 December in order to facilitate 2021 delivery, then we are talking 300 tops per day, all quality checked and passed.

This assumes that nearly every top passes. What if they end up scrapping 20-50%... It gets much worse. Could you imagine with 50% fail (aka recycled or fixed) them having to average 450 tops per day?!?

MacDonald_Photo

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, I think that we can safely estimate that Ford needs approximately 15,000 tops to complete their commitments for 2021 VIN holders and FE orders (I think that's at a minimum).

If they start production on September 15th and run to December 15th (assuming delivery in 2021), they have no more than 78 production days to build 15,000 tops. They will need to average 200 quality checked and passed hardtops per day to make it.

Now, assuming that Ford doesn't start production until October 1st and that all 2021 hardtops need to be ready for shipment prior to 1 December in order to facilitate 2021 delivery, then we are talking 300 tops per day, all quality checked and passed.

This assumes that nearly every top passes. What if they end up scrapping 20-50%... It gets much worse. Could you imagine with 50% fail (aka recycled or fixed) them having to average 450 tops per day?!?

Having spent more than 20yrs in QC for a Tier 1 supplier I can tell you there is no way Webasto (after this fiasco) will have a fallout rate that high. Maybe it is different in that line of work, but in a "machine shop" our failure rates were measured in PPM (goal of less than .5% parts per million) and I would hope that Webasto typically strives for similar results in normal operations.

I wonder if all this talk of it being a poor Ford design did lead to this. Does anyone know if their other products suffer from so many issues?

Anyways....It's Friday, I'm bored, and I miss my Bronco.

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Added.
His old posts indicate a 6/14 blend which I think is the earliest possible date.
Is 6/14 the earliest blend date total or the earliest sent to dirt mountain? Just curious if there's any way to estimate based on these dates what positions are in line for dirt mountain.

Sponsored

Rlack75

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is 6/14 the earliest blend date total or the earliest sent to dirt mountain? Just curious if there's any way to estimate based on these dates what positions are in line for dirt mountain.
6/14 would have been the earliest date a Bronco rolled off the line for a retail consumer.
Which means it could have had a blend date in the prior week. But I haven’t seen one…yet.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Having spent more than 20yrs in QC for a Tier 1 supplier I can tell you there is no way Webasto (after this fiasco) will have a fallout rate that high. Maybe it is different in that line of work, but in a "machine shop" our failure rates were measured in PPM (goal of less than .5% parts per million) and I would hope that Webasto typically strives for similar results in normal operations.

I wonder if all this talk of it being a poor Ford design did lead to this. Does anyone know if their other products suffer from so many issues?

Anyways....It's Friday, I'm bored, and I miss my Bronco.
The real question is what will be the actual sustainable average production rate, and honestly, I have no clue whether that will be 50 tops a day or 500 tops a day. No one is giving out any information on that.

And while your failure rate was in the 0.5% PPM range. Ford would need to deliver 800,000 good tops just to achieve that 0.5% PPM failure rate only on the 4,000 Broncos with defective hard tops already delivered.

Last edited:

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The real question is what will be the actual sustainable average production rate, and honestly, I have no clue whether that will be 50 tops a day or 500 tops a day. No one is giving out any information on that.

If I'm reading my window sticker correctly mine was 805/1428 for that week. My thinking is that if they could build 300 trucks a day, they should be capable of the same number of tops.

MacDonald_Photo

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious what the curing process is for this resin. It seems like that would be the production bottleneck.
But hell...My only production experience was in a past life in a machine shop not with this process.
So tired of waiting though....FFS I just want my truck.

Rendo

Wildtrak
First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I talked to my dealer today to make sure they were still honoring the original MSRP on my Bronco, and he said yes they were honoring it and couldn't believe how some other dealerships were marking upwards of around $10K on orders! So that was good news for today.

Then I asked if he knew anything about the status of my Bronco and if he had any info. Told me it was definitely already built and had been delivered to the body shop, where they put on all the accessories that are ordered and also where they put on the tops. Now my Bronco had been there before, right before it was put into QC, so it might just have been sitting there (instead of Dirt Mountain) this whole time.

Either way, its off Dirt Mountain and hopefully some movement on our Broncos is beginning. With any luck this means we're going to get some info on the status of our builds really soon and maybe Ford is getting ready to ramp up replacement of our tops as well.

Unless someone else has any info about the MIC tops and production schedules, I'm taking this as good news.
Sponsored