First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I'm 3 months and 7000 miles into Bronco ownership. I sold my FJC to my buddy and have been in a 2 door Badlands with 2.3 manual. I've taken it on a week long trip in the mountains, four 8 hour hwy trips and daily driving it of 3 months. So I figured I update y'all how it stacks up to the FJC (in my opinion).

1. Less space: I know it's not apples to apples but the 2 door Bronco is much smaller inside. My kids are grown and it perfect for me. Front seat area is great and even the back seats, but cargo area is tiny.
2. Towing: 3500 lbs isn't a lot and it really would be the max i would tow. I pulled a trailer the other day with my Diesel Mule on it. Total weight was around 2700lbs. It was noticeable. I've pulled close to the same with the FJC and the body sway and squat was about the same, but the FJC engine didn't seem to work as hard.
3. Loaded down: Now I just said towing it wasn't as good, BUT loaded down even with the roof top tent, it is just as good loaded down as the FJC. We had two people and everything need for a week in the woods, It was awesome on and off road.
4. MPG: Here is somewhere the Bronco is amazing. If I don't drive like a hoon and bang gears (which is hard now that I deleted the muffler) is get 19-21mpg. We got 18mpg loaded with RTT from Tx to Co and back. That is the best my FJC would do empty.
5. Driver Tech & Comfort: FJC = None. Bronco = Amazing. This is where the Bronco is better in every way. I have the Lux Package but even my buddies base is better.
6. Off Road: Best way to put this, my wife HATED wheeling the FLC. She kept taking the wheel from me. Sorry for most of y'all who will get mad, but the tech and design is just better.
7. Daily: Driving around town, it's easier. Maybe because of being able to see better but it's just easier for some reason. I'm even in a manual and my FJC was auto.
8. Coolness: I get about the same reaction from people. Same type of people who liked the FJC like the Bronco. I would have to say the Bronco just because I have the Roof and doors off as much as possible.
9. Support: This vehicle has only been out for 2 years and the aftermarket support is already WAY past the FJC. Plus, the fact there are so many companies making parts, they are already more affordable.
10. Build Quality: THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM. Only time will tell. I have had one problem and I don't know were to put it. A corner of the transfer case was damaged before installed. Almost impossible to see but cause a very light leak. It was on a top edge where the gasket surface is. Defiantly happened when install or before. Dealer ordered new T-case and is taking care of it.

I love the Bronco and "for me" I think it's better in every way that count. Ask me in 100k miles and maybe it will be different. Just a little write up for anyone on the fence, you can't go wrong with FJC or Bronco.
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thanks for the write-up, we have a 2007 FJC and I always cringe reading build quality or mechanical issue posts. I'm pretty much the same story, 2 door and only kid left in the house is already driving so I only need space for myself. Size spec wise the FJC is between the 2 and 4 door and I've never really had to fold down the back seats to load it up but looks like I'll have to with a 2 door Bronco.

Here's wishing you continued trouble free miles!

OP
OP
BottleShark

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the write-up, we have a 2007 FJC and I always cringe reading build quality or mechanical issue posts. I'm pretty much the same story, 2 door and only kid left in the house is already driving so I only need space for myself. Size spec wise the FJC is between the 2 and 4 door and I've never really had to fold down the back seats to load it up but looks like I'll have to with a 2 door Bronco.

Here's wishing you continued trouble free miles!
Thanks. If you have ANY worries with space then 100% get a 4 door and hard top. There really is zero room in the back with seats up, plus they don't lay flat.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Previously had a 2012 FJC. Had it 5 years without a single issue. My two big complaints with it were visibility and fuel economy. I also wasn't a big fan of the half door. Big pain in the butt in tight spaces. Still no Bronco yet.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought that was a great write up. The Toyota design is older and already was a bit behind (why fix what isn’t “broken “). The Bronco is at least three generations more current. The new 4Runner will be much better in terms of drivetrain, tech and efficiency, that Amy carry over to an FJ “replacement “. The Bronco will help the entire industry upgrade a bit and then Ford will have to catch up (next gen will be electric, so that will be a bit disruptive).

Sponsored

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
We have owned a 2007 (delivered in March 2006 day one) FJ Cruioser since new and have both a 21 FE and a 21 Badlands both 4dr.

FJ Cruiser repairs- alternator and one wheel bearing. 155k miles. Mileage and range suck. Visibility sucks. All the switchgear works as new. All the electrical works as new. Doesn't leak a drop of anything. Clam shell doors suck with kids. Having 2 5'8" (for now) 12 yo twins the leg room sucks. Driver and passenger have to sit far forward.

I love the FJ, love the Broncos, I think Ford knocked ir out of the park.

I did by two extended warranties through :)

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also had an FJC in March of 2006. Loved that vehicle and only had an alternator replaced at about 97K and brakes replaced at 72K miles. Given that the design of the FJC was around 16-17 years ago I'm thankful that it kind of broke the barrier on a wheelin vehicle with IFS. Boy I remember the local Japanese wheeler club spouting off about how IFS will never keep up with an FJ40,60,80 etc.

2 door BL with LUX and this vehicle is better in every way. Ford knocked it out of the park. Like all of the previous posters I am holding my breath on the reliability.

I still laugh whenever I hear someone complaining about the stereo in the Bronco. They didn't live with the FJC's stereo for 6 years.

OP
OP
BottleShark

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also had an FJC in March of 2006. Loved that vehicle and only had an alternator replaced at about 97K and brakes replaced at 72K miles. Given that the design of the FJC was around 16-17 years ago I'm thankful that it kind of broke the barrier on a wheelin vehicle with IFS. Boy I remember the local Japanese wheeler club spouting off about how IFS will never keep up with an FJ40,60,80 etc.

2 door BL with LUX and this vehicle is better in every way. Ford knocked it out of the park. Like all of the previous posters I am holding my breath on the reliability.

I still laugh whenever I hear someone complaining about the stereo in the Bronco. They didn't live with the FJC's stereo for 6 years.
My FJC had the JBL system and Bronco has B&O. They both sound great unless you just want everyone to be forced to hear your music at stop light.

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 KLR 650, 2022 Bronco Base (2dr/7mt/CO)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Previously had a 2012 FJC. Had it 5 years without a single issue. My two big complaints with it were visibility and fuel economy. I also wasn't a big fan of the half door. Big pain in the butt in tight spaces. Still no Bronco yet.
I had a '12 for six years with essentially the same experience. Cavalry blue... miss the thing. Can definitely change lanes with a little bit less adrenaline with the li'l bronc, although I'm always going to lament the loss of the three front windshield wipers.

Last edited:

F-Spot

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, FJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Excellent write up! The blind spots in the FJ cruiser definitely requires the driver to be attentive in parking lots. My FJ has over 200k miles and is currently out of commission…blown head gasket. This is the first major issue through all the years of ownership…2007 TRD, bought brand new the first year. I’m currently deciding on rebuilding or swapping the FJ engine. It’s definitely a keeper though.

Ford Bronco 7000 Miles After FJ Cruiser 4B71FA11-2550-4197-BA35-5BE1B35AA741

OP
OP
BottleShark

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Excellent write up! The blind spots in the FJ cruiser definitely requires the driver to be attentive in parking lots. My FJ has over 200k miles and is currently out of commission…blown head gasket. This is the first major issue through all the years of ownership…2007 TRD, bought brand new the first year. I’m currently deciding on rebuilding or swapping the FJ engine. It’s definitely a keeper though.

Ford Bronco 7000 Miles After FJ Cruiser 4B71FA11-2550-4197-BA35-5BE1B35AA741
I would love to have kept both.
Sponsored