Sponsored

FJ Cruiser Owner: Will Bronco be similar quality?

Grooticus

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wish the Bronco had same door option as the FJ
Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've driven only Toyo's for 33 years....and sure, they have problems now and then. I'd consider only two of those to be big problems. One was a frame rust thru (thanks DANA!!!!) due to failure of the 2nd undercoat....the other was weird, some mechanical thing between firewall and engine, nearly impossible to get to, that had carboned up and limited rpm. Took a while to figure out. Everything else was the usual stuff when you drive 150k+ miles....

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Just drove mine home from getting it serviced, 120k and no issues, no rusted frame and always been on the coast. An oil change is what I took it in for and a shimmy when braking so new pads and resurface the rotors and out the door, motor and tranny never been touched.

The only Ford I have to compare the FJ against is the old Ranger my dad left me which isn't a fair comparison at all, but it's 18 years old and still does what it was designed to do. The FJ is 13 years old, still a good ride and it's what we use for long trips, it's comfortable on the road, holds enough for 3 and is basically worry free, just turn the key and drive.

The Bronco will be my first American car I've ever bought new and it's been a long time since I had one in my driveway that I paid for. Hopefully Ford gets it right, all it really needs to do is match an old Toyota and I'll be happy ... now I'm worried again.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Even as a Ford fanboy everything about the FJ cruiser is in a league of it’s own as far as reliability is concerned. That 4.0 V6/5 speed auto will pretty much keep running until the heat death of the universe. Honestly it may be one of the last things left before everything goes cold and dark.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I test drove an FJC when they first came out and wasn't impressed. I currently drive a 2018 F•150 with the 2.7L engine, 10 speed transmission and LOVE the power/fuel economy it provides. I think you're gonna like the Bronco. ??
My first new vehicle was a 1977 ford f-100. It was a nice truck, but the one I drive now (2016 f-150 3.5 engine) is in another time zone as to safety, comfort, economy and overall drive ability. I know I will take a mpg hit with the bronco in SASQ form, but I hope the 10 speed transmission and periodic use of start-stop, if it has it will help a little bit. Really looking forward to the new bronco, roll out drama notwithstanding. No bad broncos!

Sponsored

Y2ksport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4runner Off road premium
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't think the new Bronco will be a step down in quality vs an older Toyota but I do think you will give up some reliability just because of added complexity, tech, power, etc...on the newer Bronco. The old Toyota 4.0L/5spd in the FJ's and 4runner's are relatively simple, have been around forever, and have proven to be a super reliable combo.
And having owned both brands with great luck, there's no denying that Toyota has a better track record overall for quality/reliability although the difference isn't what it used to be.
The real test will be the upcoming 6th gen 4runner vs. the new Bronco. It'll be the first all-new 4runner in over a decade and would be a more accurate comparison to the new Bronco.

CarbonBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Toyota $runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
this is my personal experience toyota makes a quality vehicle hesnse ive owned and still do own multiple toyota vehicles. i used to wrench on toyotas an can speak on their reliablity and performance. however technology has come a long way. ived owned a 2004 Tacoma some corollas as well as currently own a 2018 Sienna and My personal 1999 Toyota 4runner 4WD with over 303k Miles on it that ive personally put over 225k of those miles on it myself.

but im willing to take a chance with the Bronco. says something about my toyota loyalty right? new toyotas are just not priced correctly for what they are. they are the same boring repeat year after year but with a markup in cost every year. its the reason i can't justify the cost of a new 4runner 4WD.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Toyota is like a Sig in the fact I know it will fire when needed. Being a person who has owned a handful of Fords and Yotas I feel the Bronco will be fine with the 2.7.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I can add something to this conversation.

I ordered an FJ Cruiser that was delivered in March of 2006. Voodoo blue automatic. Drove it for 128K miles and sold it in 2012 for a Tacoma.

I bought a 2013 Rubicon 10 anniversary (loaded) 2 door. Drove it for a year.

I loved the Rubicon for the 3 piece hardtop, it was peppy. Wife hated it because in her words felt like it was going to roll over around a bend in the road. The FJ Cruiser drove more assuredly which I attribute to the IFS versus the SA.

I see the Bronco as the best of 2 worlds. IFS for better road manners with the ability to pop the top.
I think that rolling is the stock rubicon suspension, it’s very soft for off road. I swapped them out for Fox on mine, and it handled far better.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
To start, I'm not a fan boy of either so this is impartial. I briefly drove and was around an FJ about five years ago and while it seemed fine to drive, the interior was quite cheap. Not just the interior but I remember it better. Not that plastics are bad but the big buttons didn't seem high quality at all. Not much did really. I'm sure they're either quite reliable or near enough but I didn't own one. Then again, I think it was around a 2010 or bit later model and that was a ways ago quality wise for any manufacturer.

I drive a 2019 F-150 often for work and am pleasantly surprised how Ford has progressed in the last five to 10 years. Our truck is a simple work truck and is comfortable, quiet, has a quality infotainment system, not to mention tows smoother and more predictably than I thought a naturally aspirated V6 would.

If the Bronco is anything like our work truck I'll be quite happy. I know that sounds weird to be content with a work truck (base) but that's my take on it.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Having never even seen a bronco up close i will hazard a guess it will be close to toyota quality /reliability i have a 2014 tundra you litterally could have welded the hood shut .
And ill eat a bug if it isnt more reliable than a defender.
Sponsored