Sponsored

FJ Cruiser Owner: Will Bronco be similar quality?

firsttimefordbuyer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2010 FJ and have loved it. Been looking for a new truck. Originally had money out for the LR Defender but after researching, was concerned about reliability and then I saw it and didn't feel rugged enough so held out for Bronco. I reserved a Badlands 4 door and will option it up as much as possible.

Here is my question if anyone has any insights... Is the Bronco a step down in quality from the Toyota FJ? I have never owned a Ford and when I compare the Bronco to the FJ, there are some good similarities but without seeing the Bronco, I'm curious once I take it for a drive will the look and feel be a step-down? I am considering taking a test drive in a Ford but not convinced driving another model will help as the Bronco is so different.

This is subjectiveness I know but any thoughts?
Sponsored

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 2010 FJ and have loved it. Been looking for a new truck. Originally had money out for the LR Defender but after researching, was concerned about reliability and then I saw it and didn't feel rugged enough so held out for Bronco. I reserved a Badlands 4 door and will option it up as much as possible.

Here is my question if anyone has any insights... Is the Bronco a step down in quality from the Toyota FJ? I have never owned a Ford and when I compare the Bronco to the FJ, there are some good similarities but without seeing the Bronco, I'm curious once I take it for a drive will the look and feel be a step-down? I am considering taking a test drive in a Ford but not convinced driving another model will help as the Bronco is so different.

Who knows- But I will say that you are looking at 10+ years of better manufacturing/tech. We have a March 2006 delivered 2007 FJ Cruiser. We won't be giving it up for the Bronco.

I think that any newer vehicle (EXCEPT for Land Rover :)) is going to be as good if not better than a 10+ year old Toyota... and this is coming from someone who owns a 2007 FJ, 2011 Prius and 1993 Land Cruiser.

Daytona_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Toyotas reliability is unreal. I have owned 3 and all made it well past 10 years 200k miles..
F-150, E-250 Cargo vans for my work fleet are also very reliable and take a beating! My Mustang well thats another story lol .. I have faith in Ford with this new Bronco. Alot to lose if things do not go well. And alot of R&D invested..

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

This is all speculation, but I expect Bronco to be better. I had a 2011 TT FJ that I loved and modded. As much as I liked it, it had flaws, not just in design (no removable top), but in quality. The frame rusted before it left the lot. The engine was underpowered and the transmission / gearing was poor. I liked the green/black interior, but it was rudimentary. I expect the Bronco to have a much better engine and tranny. I expect fit and finish quality to be better on Bronco. Better materials throughout. Better axles and suspension components on Bronco. Reliability? - Toyota probably.

Sponsored

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
That's a bold statement.
I have a 10 fleet of Ford's as well, Superdutys, expeditions and explorers. All have been as reliable, The Superdutys wear out suspension /steering at about 120k miles

The Bronco will likely be as reliable as the FJ

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's a bold statement.
I don't think so really....it should absolutely be better overall. I also until recently had two Toyotas (2011 FJ and 2009 LX570). It's not that high of a bar really. Reliable, yes. Super high quality? Not really.

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Mini, 99 4Runner, 07 FJ Cruiser, 16 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Currently have a 3rd Gen T4R, 3rd Gen Taco and 07 FJC, have a reservation for a Bronco to add to the fleet. I have no expectation for Ford to match Toyota reliability and longevity, but there will be many areas the new Bronco will out shine the FJC.

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Mini, 99 4Runner, 07 FJ Cruiser, 16 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't think so really....it should absolutely be better overall. I also until recently had two Toyotas (2011 FJ and 2009 LX570). It's not that high of a bar really. Reliable, yes. Super high quality? Not really.
There is nothing high quality about Toyotas, noisy, hard on fuel, not very comfortable, and light years behind in tech.

But there is no denying with regular maintenance and if kept out of the elements, the majority will outlast their competitors.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, 1971 Z28 R/S
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The good new is Jim Farley FORD’s CEO admits there is a quality issue at FORD and he will be taking steps to fix the problems. Hopefully Bronco will be one of the first recipients of the new Supplier Quality Program whereas, “Ford has told suppliers it will charge them upfront for half the cost of a warranty problem. Suppliers might get some of the money back if they resolve problems more quickly.” This May also be the reason Webasto is delaying the Modular Hard Top Shadow Black. Webasto doesn’t want to incur any warranty costs unlike in the past when suppliers would just push questionable parts out of the factory and worry about it later. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ty-costs-in-bid-to-boost-profit-idINKBN2841BV

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I bounce between the Toyota and Ford brands. 2006 Tacoma to a 2011 Raptor to a 2012 FJ Cruiser to a 2018 Raptor. My FJ was solid. I modded it to my liking and needs. It never once saw a dealership for any service or warranty work. The technology may have been old and out dated but it worked. That said neither of my Raptors have seen a dealer since leaving the lot new. My 2018 Raptor gets better fuel economy that my FJ. I recently looked at a new 4Runner for my wife. No doubt they are reliable but the dated engine and trans were enough to move us to another brand. The plus side to the Bronco is the engine and trans are proven designs in other Ford products. While it may be an "all new" design it really is a parts bin new vehicle. It's made from parts that already exist (with a few exceptions) in other vehicles.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a 1st model year, there will be issues.

I've had mixed experiences with ford, one was great the other developed some weird parasitic drain that caused the battery to die daily (less than 5k on the clock).

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 10 fleet of Ford's as well, Superdutys, expeditions and explorers. All have been as reliable, The Superdutys wear out suspension /steering at about 120k miles

The Bronco will likely be as reliable as the FJ
I was referring to the "any newer vehicle is going to be as good if not better than a 10+ year old Toyota". There's a lot of newer junk out there.. don't worry I wasn't implying the Bronco.
Sponsored