Sponsored

FJ Cruiser Owner: Will Bronco be similar quality?

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I worked for a company administering extended warranties, meaning well past the manufacturer warranty expired. I wouldn't assume a Toyota, or any other brand, would last or be a better quality vehicle than any other vehicle. It's just like saying that Toyota is a foreign car, but then someone will talk about how much of the Toyota is US-made as a counter point. So, really, all vehicles are made here and there and everywhere with globally-sourced parts. They're all going to fall apart at some point, and after working warranty claims on vehicles with greater than 100k miles, I'd take a Ford as soon as I'd take a Toyota or any other "brand". Not to beat a dead horse, but I spent every day paying warranty claims well past the 5/50k, 7/70k or 10/100k warranty expired, and there isn't really any discernable difference in quality over time/miles.
Sponsored

Axe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 2018 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Getting rid of my 14 FJ for the Bronco. (My 3rd one, I've had an FJ since they came out)

Do I think the Bronco will be better in terms of ride/handling/fun factor/updated tech? Absolutely.

Do I think it will be more reliable long term?
Not a chance. There's a reason people swear by Toyotas.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The Bronco will be close to the quality of the FJ. I had a 2010 FJ Trail Teams and it was a great rig. No, the tech was behind, but it just performed with no time out of service for repairs. The fit and finish was good with few rattles. The only issue was the upright windshield leading to 2 replacements. Being a Trail Teams, it always took longer than expected to replace because they would bring the wrong color trim piece even when I told them.

I have my fingers crossed that the Bronco will meet the reliability level as the FJ. Now my current Taco...already a recall on the fuel pump because the impeller is not compatible with gasoline (swells over time). Seriously? What did they think the fuel pump was going to be pumping?

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's a 1st model year, there will be issues.

I've had mixed experiences with ford, one was great the other developed some weird parasitic drain that caused the battery to die daily (less than 5k on the clock).
It is possible that there will be issues, but not an automatic assumption. In yeras past there was more truth to that than there is now.

ScoobyDrew

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My rambling response: I owned a 03 T4R for 13 years and had no issues with it in the entire time I owned it. It was great and got me around with a couple babies/kids/dog, etc. As the kids got old enough, I then bought a 14 FJ and kept if for about a year and couldn't wait to get rid of it. I didn't have any mechanical issues with it, so it was solid there. It just had a few quirks that I didn't like (getting kids or anyone in and out of the back seat and messing w/ seatbelts, limited visibility, rattles, small gas tank that felt like I had to fill up every other day, silly windshield replacement noted above (and I live in CO and drive in the ROCKY mountains constantly and got windshield rock damage constantly). I really wanted to like it but just couldn't. My brother got a new T4R about 1 1/2 years ago and likes it but doesn't love it due to lack of power. I drove it but I was having a hard time loving it because it still kinda felt like my 03. It even sounds the same when it starts. SOOOO...I am hopeful that the Bronco will be better for me than the FJ or a new/newer T4R. I'm sure the Bronco will have its quirks, but I'm hopeful they will be livable. I do hope that the success of the Bronco might tempt Toyota to up its game a bit. This could get fun! I can't go with a JKU because here in CO I can't drive to the grocery store a mile away without seeing about 4,235 of them.

Sponsored

Longshot

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I worked for a company administering extended warranties, meaning well past the manufacturer warranty expired. I wouldn't assume a Toyota, or any other brand, would last or be a better quality vehicle than any other vehicle. It's just like saying that Toyota is a foreign car, but then someone will talk about how much of the Toyota is US-made as a counter point. So, really, all vehicles are made here and there and everywhere with globally-sourced parts. They're all going to fall apart at some point, and after working warranty claims on vehicles with greater than 100k miles, I'd take a Ford as soon as I'd take a Toyota or any other "brand". Not to beat a dead horse, but I spent every day paying warranty claims well past the 5/50k, 7/70k or 10/100k warranty expired, and there isn't really any discernable difference in quality over time/miles.
That's a great perspective on longevity from someone who deals in warranty work. I find a lot of times people tend to get Brand loyal and may cherry pick figures and facts to believe their brand is better than another. I have owned several Fords and have had mixed luck with each. My current F-150 has been rock solid for 56k, I have only owned one Toyota and it was a 94' pickup (Pre Tacoma) and it had some electrical issues... Does that make it an unreliable brand? Not by a long shot, does that make my Ford "Super reliable"...? Only to me at this point! I can hope the Bronco does well in reliabilty and I am looking forward to it regardless... (Great point too about where vehicles are "made") It's more about where the parts come from I would think...? Any factory should have the same standards whether it is here or Mexico, or Canada, or Japan...

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is possible that there will be issues, but not an automatic assumption. In yeras past there was more truth to that than there is now.
Fair enough. I'll rephrase there is higher probability that there will be issues with 1st year models and refreshed models.

I am going in with that mind set as I have with every first model year car I've owned.

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Early FJs had their issues, specifically with rust and a few mechanical subsystems. Later ones at least resolved the mechanical issues. FJs benefited from using an engine that Toyota used FOREVER. Same engine is basically still around in current 4Runners.

The eco boost engines in the bronco are more complex, but have been around for a while in the Ranger and F-150.

Frankly, reliability is a moving target. Vehicle quality goes up every year for every brand. Cars that were considered high quality 10 years ago would be subpar by today’s standards. The quality edge Toyota had has shrunk considerably. They’re not even at the top of the pecking order anymore.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Fair enough. I'll rephrase there is higher probability that there will be issues with 1st year models and refreshed models.

I am going in with that mind set as I have with every first model year car I've owned.
It was before my time but I understand that one of the worst cases of what you referred to was the transition from the 1967 to the 1968 corvette. Apparently a lot of potential buyers of the '67 waited for the "new" redesigned '68 and were very, very disappointed in the poor quality and numerous bugs the 1968 had. Ironic that many waited as the 1967 is one of the most collectable now.

Sponsored

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can add something to this conversation.

I ordered an FJ Cruiser that was delivered in March of 2006. Voodoo blue automatic. Drove it for 128K miles and sold it in 2012 for a Tacoma.

I bought a 2013 Rubicon 10 anniversary (loaded) 2 door. Drove it for a year.

I loved the Rubicon for the 3 piece hardtop, it was peppy. Wife hated it because in her words felt like it was going to roll over around a bend in the road. The FJ Cruiser drove more assuredly which I attribute to the IFS versus the SA.

I see the Bronco as the best of 2 worlds. IFS for better road manners with the ability to pop the top.

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 KLR 650, 2022 Bronco Base (2dr/7mt/CO)
Your Bronco Model
Base
One thing I like a lot about the bronco is it's similar to the FJ... in that it's riding on a truck-like platform. At least if you go the 2.7 route, you get an engine and transmission that's fully pulled from the truck lineup. I've heard good things about the 2.7, although the 2010 refresh of the 1GR-FE was super awesome (I had a '12 FJ). My guess is that you're going to see similar reliability in the drivetrain, given both are pulled from proven truck lines. I DO think it's pretty cool that the 27EB block uses materials that are more commonly found in higher compression engines. Betting that bodes well for durability. T-case on the FJ was pretty darn simple, where you now have an electronic actuator. Can't say whether that affects overall T-case reliability, though.

There's possibility of leakage due to the removable top, although it's obviously too early to tell whether there's any real concern there. I think there was a minor improvement in convenience on the FJ (vs 2dr bronco) for rear passengers due to the back half-doors. I'm expecting noise to be higher with the Bronco, which I'll happily accept if it means I can take the top off. Ride quality difference might depend on which FJ and Bronco models you're comparing (mine had the offroad pack with the Bilstein shocks, where I'll be going with the standard suspension on the Bronco).

You won't have to stare at a compass and inclination meter that's bolted to the middle of the dash with the Bronco :) On the other hand, now you're down to two instead of three front windshield wipers :(

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve been a Toyota owner for 15 years, currently. Taco owner but before that had a 2007 FJ- I loved it... but... I sure hope the bronco is just better.. FJ just lacked... blind spot galore, windshield was a piece of plywood going down the road- constant magnet for cracks, the suicide doors were basically useless... the reliability was great and loved the looks but it had a lot of design flaws..

Here’s hoping the bronco is much much better than the FJ...

evomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sorts of things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have a 2010 FJ and have loved it. Been looking for a new truck. Originally had money out for the LR Defender but after researching, was concerned about reliability and then I saw it and didn't feel rugged enough so held out for Bronco. I reserved a Badlands 4 door and will option it up as much as possible.

Here is my question if anyone has any insights... Is the Bronco a step down in quality from the Toyota FJ? I have never owned a Ford and when I compare the Bronco to the FJ, there are some good similarities but without seeing the Bronco, I'm curious once I take it for a drive will the look and feel be a step-down? I am considering taking a test drive in a Ford but not convinced driving another model will help as the Bronco is so different.

This is subjectiveness I know but any thoughts?
What you are asking and most of the answers youre getting are 2 different things.
You asked more about quality, most folks are addressing capability.
My biggest problem with American manufacturers is the fit and finish. Garbage, esp the interiors. Seams, gaps, spaces, etc.
Also the 4 runner (closest competitor maybe between the fj/bronco/4 runner) are naturally aspirated. I know the toyotas will last 2-300k miles, they design them that way.
Adding turbos and whatnot is more stuff to potentially break over use/time.
That said I think Ford puts out a very good product. If you like the bronco I wouldn't be too worried abt reliability. If you are buy an extended warranty.

awall987

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJ, '23 2dr BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll be selling my 2011 FJ (see showcase link below avatar) for the Bronco down payment, never had any issues with it and it's just been solid on and off road. But as with any vehicle, going on somebodies one off story on a forum isn't a good way to judge a vehicle.

Some people forget the early ones had issues with the rear diff and it took Toyota a few years to address the front fenders cracking. Will be interesting to see what we run into on the early Broncos. I was originally going to wait a few years, but decided life is too short and I'm too impatient.
Sponsored

Last edited: